Air Filter Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007 | 02:58 PM
|
Air Filter Question

I just hit 15k miles and took my truck in to get the maintenance done. The shop wanted $60 for a replacement air filter. I thought that was a little steep, but he told me there is no "generic" or aftermarket replacement available. I told him not to put it in until I did some research.

Isn't a drop-in K&N replacement filter about the same price? I know many of you have replaced your entire intake with an aftermarket intake... I'm not there yet. I just want to do what's best for my truck right now and get the most bang for my buck.

Should I buy the $60 replacement filter? Should I buy an aftermarket K&N drop-in filter? If so, how much do they run and where can I find one on the northwest side of Houston??

Thanks!

Old 04-25-2007 | 03:06 PM
i live on the northwest side of houston in cypress. dont buy it from them, they are trying to rip you off. you can get a K&N at autozone for $50. go to autzone or advance auto parts and look at what they have. there is an Autozone on Jones Rd. close to 1960

Old 04-25-2007 | 03:51 PM
That is a load of BS! Go for a K&N oem replacement.

Old 04-25-2007 | 04:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Old 04-25-2007 | 04:44 PM
I just replace my stock one with a regular filter from Autozone $12.00.

Old 04-25-2007 | 08:24 PM
I replaced my OEM air filter with a K & N drop in filter, it was right at $50 from Autozone, granted I am in Georgia so prices may vary a bit from your area...

Old 04-25-2007 | 08:36 PM
If you drive in dusty conditions on a regular basis, you'll be sorry you put anything but a motorcraft filter in your truck. Dry aftermarket filters do NOTHING, and I'm not a fan of K&N filters either. In both cases I ended up wiping dirt out of my intake. Unlike any other filter I've used, motorcraft filters actually catch enough dirt to stop up. I mean STOP UP!

Old 04-25-2007 | 11:16 PM
There tring to stiff you. I just got a replacement STP filter from Autozone for $14.00.

Old 04-26-2007 | 06:36 PM
|
Turns out they were definitely trying to screw me. I went to Domestic Auto Experts only because it's 2 blocks from my house and I didn't feel like going through the 2 hour hassle of taking it back to the dealership. They quoted me $60 for what they said is an OEM replacement air filter. I told him thanks but no thanks and took everyone's advice and went to Auto Zone.

The Motorcraft was about $26 and the "house brand" was around 10-12 bucks, but they were out of stock. I opted to try out the drop-in K&N that everyone seems to rave about. It was right around $40... but hey, if I don't like it, it was still cheaper than Domestic Auto Experts!

By the way, Domestic Auto Experts has a huge banner on their wall that says they only mark their stuff up 10% and they think that's a fair deal. Laughable!

Old 04-26-2007 | 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by chester8420
If you drive in dusty conditions on a regular basis, you'll be sorry you put anything but a motorcraft filter in your truck. Dry aftermarket filters do NOTHING, and I'm not a fan of K&N filters either.
Did you know that Motorcraft buys most of its filters from Purolator? Did you also know that sometimes Purolator will buy filters from WIX, Baldwin, Donaldson, and Fleetguard? Sometimes Motorcraft uses Motorcraft employees to manufacture Motorcraft filters in Purolator's facilities. Sometimes you can buy the same exact Motorcraft filter and get two slightly different filters made by two completely different manufacturers? So why would someone be sorry if they spent $9 for a Purolator at Advance Auto Parts over $30 for a Motorcraft at the Ford Dealership?

Oh, and we do agree on K&N not being a good filter though. I put one in my Dodge Dakota and after driving around for 2 months, there was a bunch of dirt and grit inside the intake tube. This was a properly installed OEM replacement K&N, not an intake kit.

Old 04-26-2007 | 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by chester8420
If you drive in dusty conditions on a regular basis, you'll be sorry you put anything but a motorcraft filter in your truck. Dry aftermarket filters do NOTHING, and I'm not a fan of K&N filters either. In both cases I ended up wiping dirt out of my intake. Unlike any other filter I've used, motorcraft filters actually catch enough dirt to stop up. I mean STOP UP!
I have experienced the same thing. I buy either MC or wixx. K&N definitely gives you more air but also allows more dirt in.

Quick Reply: Air Filter Question