Which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007 | 07:56 AM
|
Which is better?

I have a '06 s-cab with a 4.6. I am getting duals in the near future. I hear terms like "true duals' vs "single out" vs plain ole "duals" and not being overly mechanically inclined I can assume what these terms mean. For my application duals means replacing the stock muffler and duals out the back from the there. My main goal sound wise is a nice low rumble but nothing overly loud or droney that will cause my wife to loose her mind driving around town. I love the look of chrome duals out the back and an increase in power and/or gas mileage is certainly a plus too.

Mt question is regarding what type muffler to go with. I had all but decided on FlowMaster 40 package at $300 including chrome tips at the only dealer in town that does duals (I live in a small town ). Now I am reading that the FM's actually rob power and/or low end torgue and may or may not improve gas mileage as opposed to a Maggie product that seems to improve both torgue and mileage. Although that may be wholly dependent on the engine and gear ratio. My rear is 3:55 which "I think" means better low end torque?

Anyway, for my set up and desired results, can I get thoughts and recommendations on which product to go with, whether it be a FM, Maggie or another brand?

Thanks

Old 04-26-2007 | 12:44 PM
Flowmaster 50 series si/do ( single in, dual out, thats what you mean my duals, dont need to modify anything but the muffler & back ) is a good setup, sounds deep & good, and doesn't drone, like the 40 series mufflers so, the orighinal 40 in particular. However some of Flowmasters exhausts have been known power robbers, they are aluminum chambered mufflers.

Magnaflow makes stainless steel pipes and flow through mufflers, their rolled tips are nice too, though I prefer Flowmasters slash/angle cut tips it just looksa much better IMO. Magnaflow does not produce any drone at all either, alot of Magnaflow buyers are satisfied.

So its your choice, cheaper more affordable Flowmaster si/do kit, or Magnaflow stainless steel, possibley a little more power, and a nice loud growl when you get on it.