Intake and Exhaust, lots of Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007 | 01:04 AM
|
Intake and Exhaust, lots of Questions...

Ok so I've finally got some money saved up and I know I'm getting my bed sprayed, but I'm thinking about taking the rest and getting either an intake or an exhaust. First question; since I will probably only be able to afford one or the other, which would be the better option, Intake or Exhaust? Next question; how will they perform without any kind of tuner such as an Edge? Will be stock computer be able to handle it? Last question; which Intake/Exhaust would you recommend? There are so many options out there and I know that everyone has their preferences, but what do you have on your truck and do you like it? I'm thinking of Gibson exhaust/Volant CAI. Anyone running either of these? Thanks for the help!

Old 05-01-2007 | 01:19 AM
I have the Air Force 1, Roush legal exhaust & Xcal2 with Troyer tunes . If I were you I would keep saving until:santa: you can get all three in a package deal. if you have to have it now you should look in the clasifieds here and on Craiglist.com. go for the intake first.

Old 05-01-2007 | 01:21 AM
If it were me, I'd go with a 3" AF1 intake. I ordered tunes from Troyer performance, and asked them the same question. I talked to Chris, and said that the intake is the way to go, if you're going to do just one. Right now all I have is the intake and it is awesome. (Waiting on the tunes) I feel like I have a little quicker throttle response, and when you get on it, it sounds sweet. That's my thoughts, hopefully you'll get some more input. There are a lot of smart people on this site.

Old 05-01-2007 | 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by Msl747
Ok so I've finally got some money saved up and I know I'm getting my bed sprayed, but I'm thinking about taking the rest and getting either an intake or an exhaust. First question; since I will probably only be able to afford one or the other, which would be the better option, Intake or Exhaust? Next question; how will they perform without any kind of tuner such as an Edge? Will be stock computer be able to handle it? Last question; which Intake/Exhaust would you recommend? There are so many options out there and I know that everyone has their preferences, but what do you have on your truck and do you like it? I'm thinking of Gibson exhaust/Volant CAI. Anyone running either of these? Thanks for the help!
Hi.

Gibson - nice tone, if quiet - no perf gains. Get SS version.
Volant - well-built, but proven to lie down past 4100 rpm - not a performer.

My picks:
- AF1 3" ( without tune), Af1 3.5" ( needs custom tune).
- Magnalfow SS catback (nice sound a litle gain, not much, but more importantly it does not rob your low-end torque like some others do).

I also concur - be patient & get a custom tuner as your first mod; I'd even choose not to do the bedliner first to pay for it, IMHO. A package deal is a great idea as well - you'd save on all three components, and they all work together.

Cheers
bubba

Old 05-01-2007 | 06:14 PM
|
Thanks for the input guys! I need to get the bed sprayed because I do use the bed fairly often. I'm thinking of just going with an intake now, and the others a little later down the line.

Old 05-01-2007 | 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Msl747
Thanks for the input guys! I need to get the bed sprayed because I do use the bed fairly often. I'm thinking of just going with an intake now, and the others a little later down the line.
Hey i got an idea for ya.Why not do the 3in AF1 and also cut the stock muffler out and put in a magnaflow muffler and that won't cost much

Old 05-01-2007 | 07:13 PM
Save up and get a JLT Intake and the XCal2, the reason I say this is because: You can't run the JLT without a custom tune, if you try you WILL run lean. With a good tune and the JLT the '04+ trucks are getting 35-40 peak rwhp.

As for exhaust, save more, and get long tube headers, high flow cats, and then your choice after the cats, thats another 30+ hp

With those few mods plus electric fans the '04+ 5.4s are getting consistent 280-300 dyno'd rwhp

Last edited by ParkM; 05-01-2007 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-01-2007 | 09:25 PM
hey shane1, just curious...if you don't mind me asking...how much was that package.....and is that the offroad roush exhaust? thanks...

Old 05-02-2007 | 01:10 AM
Originally Posted by Wolf-FX4
hey shane1, just curious...if you don't mind me asking...how much was that package.....and is that the offroad roush exhaust? thanks...
I paid $1125.00 back in Feb. shipped to my front door:santa: . I have the Roush legal system.

Quick Reply: Intake and Exhaust, lots of Questions...