Volant or AF1?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007 | 08:15 AM
Same here

Originally Posted by BMLocal175
I've noticed a lot about the 2 sites I frequent. You will have 2 products and each 1 is praised heavily on one of the sites and not the other. It is very confusing to the normal guy looking to mod his truck. One site claims AF1 is one of the best the other swears by Volant.

Are there any dyno results with both of these units being tested on a truck?
I'm sure you can't go wrong with either unit but hate spending money on something that either fails or doesn't live up to the hype.
I belong to a couple a couple sites and see the same thing. It' real hard to make a choice with alot of the info available. I have a magnalfow catback w/ K&N intake and still get alot of hesitation from the truck('05 f150 5.4l) so I've decided on changing the K&N to a Volant box w/ the ram air tube to the front grill area. After all, it is called a cold air intake and with the K&N it's pretty much an open intake under the hood and with all heat coming from the engine where's the cold air gonna come from? Can't be doing the engine much good with all the extra hot air being sucked through it. I've read alot of complaints about this issue with intakes especially during the hot summer months. I'm also gonna add an Xcal ll tuner with the custom tuning from Troyer's. Read alot of good things about the Edge, but also have read bad ones too. Not many, but some. Have read nothing but good about Troyer and just feel a little safer going that way with my truck. I need that thing EVERY DAY! Hope this helps. Oh yeah, does AF1 make a closed box intake ? Anyone know?

Old 05-12-2007 | 09:08 PM
Im happy to have reached my decision. Dispite the other posts and other threads that I have been reading. I'm pleased to say that I have ordered the Volant CAI. Ill post my results when it's in and installed.

I am an amature at modding my f150. So, i hope that my small review can help others like me.

Old 05-12-2007 | 10:44 PM
|
Thanks vader let me know cause im leaning toward the less expensive volant. Like many others not looking to get every single HP out of the truck. Where did you get it and how much?

Old 05-12-2007 | 11:11 PM
Like many others not looking to get every single HP out of the truck.
That's a good thing, because the Volant simply lays down above 4100 rpm, so yolu will be leavig some power on the table.

You guys can use the search function to learn about this; there is a LOT more info on the Volant other than what's in this very brief thread.

IMHO, performance mods should not be selected solely upon price, but upon what's been tested & proven to work the best - on these trucks.

Old 05-13-2007 | 12:45 AM
-BMLocol: I purchased the Volant on autoanything.com site. After taxes w/ free shipping, it came out to about $263. Keep in mind, thats w/o the air scoop. That would run you another $120. I might later get the scoop if I need it.

As for an exhaust, Ill be saving up to probably get the Magnum setup, hopefully I can replace the headers w/o too much extra cost.

Old 05-13-2007 | 11:49 AM
|
Where is the link for the 3" AF1?

Old 05-13-2007 | 11:30 PM
BMLocol, http://www.btgmotoring.com/Merchant2..._Code=BRND_AF1 thats the only link that I know.

Anyone know if I made a big boo boo? I ordered a 2005 4.6l volant CAI, when I have a 2007. Ooops. I don't think itll make a difference. But I did call Autoanything.com and left a message pertaining this. Lets hope it's not too late. Lol

Can't wait to put it in when I get it. Ill have it done this weekend and post some pics when I'm done.

Old 05-13-2007 | 11:34 PM
Where is the link for the 3" AF1?
Mfgr: http://www.airforceoneperformance.com/

Preferred vendor: http://www.troyerperformance.com

Originally Posted by -VadeR-

Anyone know if I made a big boo boo?
Yup - you bought a Volant LOL!

Last edited by MGDfan; 05-13-2007 at 11:37 PM.
Old 05-13-2007 | 11:53 PM
lol, sound like a fanboy. It's cool though, I'm sure Ill do fine.

Old 05-14-2007 | 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by -VadeR-
lol, sound like a fanboy. It's cool though, I'm sure Ill do fine.
Not at all. And no, you won't be doing fine; not on power, and perhaps not even on maintaining safe A/F's ( which is even more important).

I'm just trying to help, but you don't listen... or even bother to search.

Read these ( search for even more), call them, then perhaps you might get a clue. Probably not, though.....

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...69&postcount=5

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=17

Old 05-14-2007 | 12:39 AM
I'm not sure if Volant makes a 4.6 kit but I sure wouldn't buy a 4.6 kit for my 5.4.
Again, I will back up Volant for as long as I have this truck and I will put money on my intake over the AF1. These accusations on Volant's performance simply arent true. When I went to the recent dyno day here in memphis, guys with the AF1's on their F150's were leaving with their head down swearing that they were going to go with Volant. See, just like you, I can say these things, but that doesn't mean that it is true without actual proof. Hell, I can say anything I want and as long as I have enough Kool Aid drinkers buying the **** up and swearing to it. I'd be leary of anyone who has to put down someone elses product just to get a sell on theirs. What that tells me is that they don't have any positive points about their product to convince the buyer to get theirs.
The bottom line is that all CAI will be an upgrade over stock. You are introducing more air to the engine which means that it can breathe better without restrictions, thus, it doesn't have to work as hard.

Old 05-14-2007 | 01:20 AM
Completely agree

Originally Posted by BlackFX4inTN
I'm not sure if Volant makes a 4.6 kit but I sure wouldn't buy a 4.6 kit for my 5.4.
Again, I will back up Volant for as long as I have this truck and I will put money on my intake over the AF1. These accusations on Volant's performance simply arent true. When I went to the recent dyno day here in memphis, guys with the AF1's on their F150's were leaving with their head down swearing that they were going to go with Volant. See, just like you, I can say these things, but that doesn't mean that it is true without actual proof. Hell, I can say anything I want and as long as I have enough Kool Aid drinkers buying the **** up and swearing to it. I'd be leary of anyone who has to put down someone elses product just to get a sell on theirs. What that tells me is that they don't have any positive points about their product to convince the buyer to get theirs.
The bottom line is that all CAI will be an upgrade over stock. You are introducing more air to the engine which means that it can breathe better without restrictions, thus, it doesn't have to work as hard.
Definitely w/ FX4inTen. on this one. I've seen the AF1's on the 150's and don't look much different than the K&N's.Nothing more than an open air intake under the hood. Sounds like alot of hot air to me man! I've talked to those I know w/ the AF1, 2 are going to switch to the volant and the other guy is pretty happy with what he has. I know Troyer says the the 150's should use either the AF1 or the Airaid but I still don't think those are cold air intakes. I have the K&N and I'm switching to the Volant.

Old 05-14-2007 | 02:08 AM
It's always entertaining when one completely uninformed & clueless individual agrees with another of the same ilk.

If either of you had (1) a phone, and (2) ***** (doubtful), you'd call TP and ask for proof yourselves.

I think you'd rather remain ignorant - that way you will ensure you are in bliss. LOL!

Old 05-14-2007 | 03:48 AM
Thats funny

Originally Posted by MGDfan
It's always entertaining when one completely uninformed & clueless individual agrees with another of the same ilk.

If either of you had (1) a phone, and (2) ***** (doubtful), you'd call TP and ask for proof yourselves.

I think you'd rather remain ignorant - that way you will ensure you are in bliss. LOL!
I find it even more entertaining when a self-appointed know it all thinks he or she (you make your uninformed points like some girlfriends I've had in the past) knows how informed other people are. Just so you know: (1) I do have a phone (2) I have bigger ***** than you do and (3) I did call TP and they didn't sell me on either one, instead it was like anyone else in business, they wanted to sell me something, they wanted my business. Which is ok by me as I'm going to order an Xcal ll from them. I know they are a company with a good reputation and they were VERY informative as far as intakes were concerned. But they really didn't sway me either way. As far as calling me completely uninformed and clueless, YOU are the one who is clueless, I mean you have no idea who I am or how much information I have, and anyone who would make a judgement like that on somebody armed with absolutely no information about that person, well I guess that's how you make your buying decisions, with absolutely no information. I don't think you're someone I would take advise from. Oh yeah, I read your profile MGDfan, and I see what helps you make decisions. Could it be the MGD. Look,there's an old saying that goes like this, IT'S BETTER TO SIT THERE, BE QUIT, AND LET EVERYONE THINK YOUR STUPID, THAN IT IS TO OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT!!! I,m not trying to disrespect you or your opinions, but all BMlocal wanted was a little infomation and you started your thread on this subject without being as informative as you were belittling. People would take your advise more to heart if you presented it in a different light(and not MGD lite) hahaha.Just kidding. Anyway you either have abeef with Volant or your just bowing to the AF1 gods. I do like your posts however, they get people thinking and talking, keep it up. sorry this one was so long. Have a nice day.

Last edited by mitch150; 05-14-2007 at 04:42 AM.
Old 05-14-2007 | 10:08 AM
|
How is a phone and ***** going to help me decide on which intake?

I've been told BS over the phone to. Isn't there some print out somewhere with dyno results with both on the same truck and then the results? Why is it all a big secret?

Now I have a guy telling me he has friends with the AF1 who are now switching to Volant. I'm more confused now than before. I'll probably just go with the cheaper one and be happy with that.

Will the average Joe be able to tell the difference between the two? Probably not! Will you super modders with datalogging and what not? Maybe!!

I mean come on how much actually HP are we talking here anyway? Peanuts!!!!!

Quick Reply: Volant or AF1?