Roush Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really wanted to ask about how the truck perfromed with the Roush intake and how it sounded during acceleration but now I am almost afraid to ask

Anyone who has the Roush intake please respond about the above issues only and expecially if you have the 5.4 3V. I agree that the rpm vs speedo is a mechanical thing and only a change in gearing could make a difference.

Kenny

Old 05-21-2007, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by CruisinKen
I really wanted to ask about how the truck perfromed with the Roush intake and how it sounded during acceleration but now I am almost afraid to ask

Anyone who has the Roush intake please respond about the above issues only and expecially if you have the 5.4 3V. I agree that the rpm vs speedo is a mechanical thing and only a change in gearing could make a difference.

Kenny
Dont be afraid to ask and for what it is worth I still stick to my claim. I drive my truck everyday and know how it performed before and after so that is all that matters. I have the 4.6 06 screw and it is very quiet on it. Really can only hear it when you step on it. Had a K&N on old sport trac and that was much louder like a vaccum sound. This CAI is only noticeable when you floor it.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:30 PM
I put a Volant CAI and got rid of the stock intake. I am happy to report that the RPM's at 60mph has not changed. Still reads 17.5ish

Old 05-22-2007, 12:56 AM
Originally Posted by turcomora
Dont be afraid to ask and for what it is worth I still stick to my claim. I drive my truck everyday and know how it performed before and after so that is all that matters. I have the 4.6 06 screw and it is very quiet on it. Really can only hear it when you step on it. Had a K&N on old sport trac and that was much louder like a vaccum sound. This CAI is only noticeable when you floor it.
Your truck appears to be truly unique in the F150, nay, the entire motor vehicle universe. You'd be doing engineers everywhere a HUGE favor, I'm talkin' Nobel Prize stuff, if you'd allow it to be examined to determine just what is going on with your rpm. Hell, I'm pretty sure Jack Roush himself would pimp your ride to the max just to learn exactly how gulping more air reduces an engines rpm. It sounds impossible, the little physics I know contradict it, but you say it's so. At the very least have your truck dyno'd with both the stock and Roush intakes and post the results here.
You truly have a special F150. Treasure it. Share the knowledge.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:24 AM
Thumbs up

I just ordered a Roush CAI for my Supercrew yesterday. I hope to have it with in a week or so. I have a Magnaflow cat back system as well. I hope they compliment eachother well. My only worry is it throwing a lean code since my truck is a 2004. I guess if I do, I'll be calling Troyer for some custom tunes next! I also get my Westin Ultimate Bull Bar and KC slim lights this Saturday. I'll post some pics once it's all done.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:55 AM
maybe he was looking at it when the truck was cold and the converter wasn't locked up. My is around 2000 until the trany temp comes up then it drops to ~1750 also.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:21 PM
Akita: no lean codes to worry about

Old 05-25-2007, 03:18 AM
Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE2004
maybe he was looking at it when the truck was cold and the converter wasn't locked up. My is around 2000 until the trany temp comes up then it drops to ~1750 also.
Why does this make head hurt?

Old 05-25-2007, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE2004
I guess there are two "magical trucks" in the world.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:52 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by turcomora
I guess there are two "magical trucks" in the world.

No. Yours is still the only one.

Re-read the post - it describes the TC behavior; once locked ( when the tranny warms up to tell the PCM that is can do so) rpm's come down to where it's supposed to be in a locked state - and where it will stay, regardless of intake.

Y'know - maybe you do have a real problem after all - perhaps your tranny is slipping or your TC is peckered. LOL!

Old 05-26-2007, 12:58 AM
Hey Sincebeen, I'm glad to hear you've had no problems with lean codes. From everything I've read on the forum, the '04's have had a problem with that. How long have you had your Roush CAI installed? Do you also have an aftermarket exhaust and any custom tunes? I've got the Magnaflow cat back system and am thinking custom tunes next. I would think that would really help. Thanks.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love my Roush CAI.I've had it for about 6 months.I haven't had any error codes and it sounds great under excelleration.

Old 05-26-2007, 01:05 PM
Akita The only problem I had with the Roush was it made a crazy vibration around 3000-3200 RPMs during "pedal to the metal" acceleration. Kinda like there was a nickel sitting inside the elbow shaking. I am positive it was because of how the cold weather effected the poly that the elbow is made of. I took the whole thing off one saterday and insulated, with felt stickys, everything I thought would be metal to metal. With that, and the now warmer weather, it's excellent. Oh yeah and my sig reflects all of my upgrades, and anyone around here who has tunes will tell you that getting a tune is the absolute best bang for your buck.

Thanks for having that pic up NASSTY, that (along with troyer's testing) helped me decide to buy it And since I live about 3 miles away from Roush, when it was making that noise one of the techs who designed it came over and when for a ride with me to help figure out the problem.

Last edited by sincebeen; 05-26-2007 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:56 PM
Sincebeen, I got my Roush CAI this past week and installed it today. It was pretty simple. It looks great. After I installed it, I took it out on the highway. I'm having some drone noise (for lack of a better word) at approximately 5 mph that lasts for a few seconds, then again at 1800 rpm / 64 mph. It is very loud. It sounds the same at idle as it did stock. Of course when I get on it I can hear the intake, which is to be expected. But I can't figure out the drone noise. Did you (or anyone with either the Roush or Airaid system) have this problem? I checked all the connections and everything is tight.

I'm going out of town early tomorrow and will not be back until late Friday so I can't mess with it until next Saturday. Any suggestions in the mean time would really be appreciated! Thanks.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:41 PM
Question Roush CAI Noise

Has anyone with a Roush CAI had any problems with it? I installed mine about a week ago. It was simple and easy to do. It looks great, but at certain speeds I am having a loud drone / vibration noise. That is the best way to describe it. I really notice it if I either hit the pedal hard or when I am on the highway cruising and give a little gas to the pedal. It is so loud I can hear it over the radio. I can also feel a little vibration in the pedal. I have rechecked all the hookups and everything is tight. If anyone has this set up please let me know if you've had this problem and what you did to solve it. I'm so frustrated I am ready to put my stock intake back on! Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Roush Cold Air Intake