Cold Air Intakes vs. "A true RAM AIR intake/hood

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007 | 02:42 AM
|
Question Cold Air Intakes vs. "A true RAM AIR intake/hood

Any info on this would be great.

I think I have a couple pretty good questions. I just picked up a '07 F150 5.4 3v and I've been looking at CAI's vs. a true ram air hood and all. I'm looking to get the most performance out of my truck with out getting to crazy.

Here are my questions:
1. Does a CAI work best on just the take off/launch?
2. Does a CAI loose power in summer heat because it's sucking in hot air?
3. Does a ram air hood act the same as a CAI?
4. I was under the impression that ram air would produce more power becuase it's literly forcing air into the engin where a CAI is technicaly pulling air in?
5. Does ram air only start working at high speeds?

Ok so I guess the real questions is do people put in a CAI because it's cheaper than a ram air system? Or is there a distink advantage over one vs the other?

Sorry. One more question. Is there a magical combination in CAI/Ram Air, tuners, exhausts, that people have found to produce good HP/TQ.

Thanks in advance for you responses.

Old 05-16-2007 | 07:05 AM
Hi.

Yup - good questions, and there's plenty of good answers to those good questions already here.

Briefly, my take - and of course these things are endlessly debatable ....

> A CAI works all the time.
> A CAI of any type will increase IAT's at idle - some more than others - material is also important - Aluminum is the worst.
> A CAI of any type will register near-ambient IAT's at speed - there is a lot of open space in that engine compartment (open hood & look down).
> IAT, while a factor, is not the differentiating variable to making good power - proper design, proper understanding of what works on these trucks, and depending upon model, tuning is.
> A true Ram-Air system is too risky on these trucks - it tends to lean out the motor the faster you go, and is very, very difficult to compensate for via custom tuning without a LOT of dyno time. Even then, the variables can conspire against you.
> The 'Magic' combo: SCT Xcal2 with Troyer Performance custom tuning + AirForceOne 3.5" intake + Magnaflow 3" SISO SS catback. Can be purchased as a 'combo' - good deal - proven results. Called a Stage 1.

You can search for much more detail on each of your questions ... this has all been covered before, in depth, many times ...

As an example, here's a good thread on Ram-Air: https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...light=ram+lean

Good luck.

cheers
Bubba

Last edited by MGDfan; 05-16-2007 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-16-2007 | 10:21 AM
I have read but have not confirmed that you need to be going about 200 mph to get a fraction of a pound of boost from the ram air effect. Ram air works great on F1 cars that go 200 mph all the time and where an extra 2 HP at that speed can mean winning a race.

Old 05-16-2007 | 10:59 PM
Ram Air intakes/hoods will absolutely not lean out any stock motor in the Ford lineup. It's really more of a gimmick than an actual gain (at normal speeds).

Old 05-17-2007 | 07:16 AM
Originally Posted by MGDfan

Briefly, my take - and of course these things are endlessly debatable ....

Originally Posted by JPRempe
Ram Air intakes/hoods will absolutely not lean out any stock motor in the Ford lineup. It's really more of a gimmick than an actual gain (at normal speeds).
Told y'all!

With respect, I'll defer to Mike Troyer's vast experience in tuning & improving the F150 platform.

Thanks.

Cheers
bubba

Old 05-17-2007 | 10:24 AM
The only ram-air hood I was able to find for the 2004+ F150s actually just funnels the air into the standard Airraid cold-air intake.

With that being said, ram-air hoods look awesome, if they function (not just a bolt on thing like the Roush, then that's an extra "cool factor"... but whether it would provide a HP benefit above just a standard CAI, well, I'll leave that to the experts (i.e. Troyer)

Old 05-17-2007 | 01:21 PM
How much $ are people willing to pay for 0.03 psi of ram air effect at 150 mph?

Heck, those electric airplane fans from ebay will make more psi for less money.

Old 05-17-2007 | 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by ranchocucbro
How much $ are people willing to pay for 0.03 psi of ram air effect at 150 mph?

Heck, those electric airplane fans from ebay will make more psi for less money.

Exactly! If you want the blow, you have to pay the dough...

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intakes vs. "A true RAM AIR intake/hood