new completely custom intake!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new completely custom intake!

Hey guys and gals of the boards, I just finished my new and 100% custom DIY cold air intake! A friend of mine up the road had a spare cold air filter in his shop and he gave it to me. I just had to figure out how to hook it up to the OEM airbox/maf assembly. Just have to say "ACE is the place!" lol Anyways, here are some pics, the black rubber coupling thingy is from ACE hardware, its a sewage reducer coupling and it couldn't be a better fit to go from OEM airbox to custom intake filter!

Old 06-03-2007, 12:33 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
if you can get a rubbermaid trash can then ACE is a one stop shop, LOL

BTW, how does it run now? any intake noise?

Old 06-03-2007, 12:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good work on it, but I think you may not be getting the results you want with it, now your still using the restrictive factory intake tube, and the filter isnt sealed in the factory box, keeping heat out. I guess the main question is how does it run and sound?

Old 06-03-2007, 01:05 PM
The only other down side to this I see is that the filter exit is smaller then the intake tube itself. I thought the idea was to step it down to speed up the incoming air.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:30 PM
Are you planning on replacing everything back after the filter to the TB?That should be what you do next as that is restrictive

Old 06-03-2007, 09:28 PM
Well that was going to be my next question but all you guys hit it right off! I would like to go from the filter back and "redo" it to be a better tube, but I'm not sure what to do, is there a way of buying the "bones" of an intake kit? All I need is the tube really. I can figure out way of hooking up the MAF/IAT, etc etc. Thats no biggie. But I'd like to free up some space as well as give it more air by replacing the OEM ducting.

In regards to:

intake noise: yes it can be heard even when idling (very nice!)
performance gains: yes I can tell just from driving it to and from work tonite
heat shielding: all in good time, plan to rubbermaid it as well
stepping down coupler (BlackNgold): uh not sure about that, I just needed to connect it to the maf assembly for the time being and that coupler was peeeeerrrrfect. I would like to go with 3" intake tubing as that is what the AF1 utilizes. No CEL thrown either, so all good!

Old 06-04-2007, 11:11 AM
It depends on what type of material you want to use?You could cheack out the cheap kits on ebay.If you want to do it cheap ask (jbrew)
He did his out of pvc pipe.When you do it i can pull some measurements for the MAF,IAC sensors off my AF1.

Last edited by Kevin24; 06-04-2007 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:16 AM
I think I'm going to go with PVC 3". We are having a new furnace installed in our house and I talked to the plumber about it, he said it would be a good idea to look for temperature resistance PVC and a new high temp paint you can buy so it would match and function under the hood. What do you mean about measurements for the MAF and other sensors? Isn't it as simple as measuring where the IAC/IAT is located, drilling an appropriately sized hole, install a rubber grommet/gasket seal and done? I plan on using the collar up by the throttle body on the old intake for the two hoses up there. MAF will be mated with a rubber coupler just like the AF1 does.

Good/bad?

Old 06-04-2007, 11:20 AM
Ya just make sure you get the measurements right.
The AF1 actually uses the original plastic assembly for MAF and bolts to filter
Pics of AF1 in gallery
jbrew did the same as your talking about

Last edited by Kevin24; 06-04-2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor

It really doesnt matter where you put your MAF and IAT along the Tube. The closer they are to the throttle body the more accurate it will read and the better it will run. If you want more power push your IAT out so it will read a cooler temperature, so it advances the timing, thus giving more power.

It's not the intake tub itself that is very restrictive, its the little snorkel that it has to get its air from inside the fender. One of these days I was gonna see if I can't modify that snorkel to 3-4 inches but still draw the air from inside the fender.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:53 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin24
It depends on what type of material you want to use?You could cheack out the cheap kits on ebay.If you want to do it cheap ask (jbrew) He did his out of pvc pipe.When you do it i can pull some measurements for the MAF,IAC sensors off my AF1.
I got a cheap kit off of ebay and I had to get a new airfilter, new hoses and new connectors, but i saved money by switching to gieco, LOL

it was cheaper and I used the hardware store alot but it saved me $$$$ and works just fine

Old 06-04-2007, 01:01 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 06-04-2007, 09:19 PM
I looked at jbrews, homemade one, very nice,exactly what I'm gonna do except mine will be a different color! lol Thanks for all the help guys, going to do a little modding tomorrow! :-D

Old 06-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Well I did it! Just have to paint it with some nice aluminum/chome touch up paint to make it purdy, and then it'll be done, just have to figure out a heatshield for it still and make afew minor adjustments and some placements. Other than it, it really is noticable and roars under the hood when you stomp on it! unreal! Glad I saved myself $250!!

Old 06-05-2007, 10:49 PM
So where is it getting cold air from??? I call that a hot air intake should of just got a factory replacement and drilled a a few big holes in it

Last edited by Dans4x4F150; 06-06-2007 at 09:44 PM.

Quick Reply: new completely custom intake!