what does "dumped" mean in exhaust discussion?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007 | 11:20 AM
|
what does "dumped" mean in exhaust discussion?

I have been reading on some threads dealing with exhaust systems and the term "dumped" has been mentioned more than once. I know what it means to "get dumped" or "be dumped" but what on earth does "dumped" mean when talking about an exhaust system whether stock or aftermarket?

Please enlighten me.

I have a flowmaster kit for my 03 Screw, but no clue if it is "dumped"

Old 06-08-2007 | 11:26 AM
Dumped refers to where the exhaust exits, My exhaust has about 2 feet of pipe after the muffler then I cut the rest off and put a turn down on it. It just means the exhaust exits under the truck with a turn down. A lot of guys just put turn downs on the muffler itself with no pipe or they dump it after the cat with no muffler.

Old 06-08-2007 | 12:28 PM
|
Ah, I see

Originally Posted by Deskinsd
Dumped refers to where the exhaust exits, My exhaust has about 2 feet of pipe after the muffler then I cut the rest off and put a turn down on it. It just means the exhaust exits under the truck with a turn down. A lot of guys just put turn downs on the muffler itself with no pipe or they dump it after the cat with no muffler.
Simply put, you are further unrestricting the flow path for your exhaust gases. However, is there any danger of having the gases accumulate under the truck body at idle or low cruise with that setup versus having the pipes exit outside the envelope of the truck body?

Old 06-08-2007 | 12:32 PM
This is mine dumped. Nothing to worry about with any gases.

Last edited by dly97; 06-08-2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-09-2007 | 07:55 PM
In a truck, gases getting into the cab aren't so likely, for an Expedition, yeah theres a change, But trucks are fine to dump the exhaust on.

Old 06-09-2007 | 09:50 PM
Mine is dumped just before the rear axle I don't think I have anything to worry about since it is a foot or two behind the cab. Now if it was dumped after the cats I might worry a little. I do sometimes wonder about the guys at the quick lube places as it is dumping right into their little work area. I don't think the truck is on long enough to hurt them.

Quick Reply: what does "dumped" mean in exhaust discussion?