magnaflow or jones?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007 | 04:46 PM
|
magnaflow or jones?

I'm a newby so try not to roast me over this question (or the length). I just bought a 2000 f150 lariat 5.4 a couple of months ago with a rusted out set of flowmasters on it, which actually broke in half last week...time for a new exhaust system.
Looking for a Single In-Dual Out (which is what's on there now) and don't mind it being "too loud".
So far I've been to 2 places here in Louisville:
One place quoted me around $450 for Magnaflow (non-stainless). They said it should last 2-5 years. Stainless is really out of the question until I get out of grad school in a couple years.
Another place quoted me around $400 for a "Jones Full Bore" system with Aluminum pipes and Stainless tips. Never heard of this system but the guy said it would be a little louder than the FM's I've got now and should last up to 6 years. Does anyone know anything about this brand...I searched but only found 1-2 comments that didn't really tell me much...maybe I suck at searching.
Give me some opinions on the differences between these 2 systems. THANKS for any help!!!!!

Old 06-26-2007 | 05:33 PM
|
Also, forgot to mention that I also wouldn't mind dumping it out the sides but know nothing about this...as far as price differences and advantages/disadvantages. I'd really appreciate any suggestions!

Old 06-26-2007 | 05:40 PM
Check out performancepeddler dot com.

Find the system you want and fill out an 'email best offer' with a valid email. You can prety much do a clear lo-ball offer like $100 for a $450 system. The site will return a cheap at cost price. I think you will find it is much cheaper than the quote you got above.

Old 06-26-2007 | 05:49 PM
|
Thanks for the suggestion...does that site also include install in their prices? The quotes I listed did.

Old 06-26-2007 | 05:55 PM
Ohh, nope, it is a self-install kit kinda thing. I was thinking it was just a parts shop. I should have guessed it was installed at that price.

Sorry...

Old 06-26-2007 | 06:08 PM
|
That's cool...guess I should have specified. Thanks!

Old 06-26-2007 | 09:40 PM
|
Anyone else have any opinions or suggestions between these two exhausts systems? Thanks for any help!!!

Old 06-26-2007 | 10:32 PM
Jones exhaust?

I googled jones exhaust and didn't find anything on it.I've never heard of Jones,but then there are many companies that make exhaust products that I haven't heard of.Go w/ the magnaflow,just my 2 cents.

Old 06-28-2007 | 04:28 PM
|
Yeah...I'm thinking Maggie right now.

Anyone heard of an Aero Turbine system? http://www.aeroexhaust.com/f150_exhaust_system.html

Anyone have any other suggestions? What system gives the loudest (or lowest rumble) I can get without messing with the cats or running true duals? I don't know a whole lot about exhausts. Thanks for all the help so far guys!!!

Old 06-28-2007 | 05:28 PM
Mufflers

If you want loud,go w/ the FM's,the 40 series,or from what I hear the new 44's are just as loud,either one would be a good choice.Dump your exhaust right at the muffler and it should be plenty loud.The shorter the muffler,the louder the muffler.Good luck w/ your exhaust.

Old 06-28-2007 | 05:55 PM
|
Well, nothing against those with FM's, but I'm definitely not going back to them. That's what I've got on it now and they rusted out. Anywhere i go to get quotes on a new exhaust and tell them what happened to my last one, they say "You must have Flowmasters." They sound great but apparently they rust out much faster and easier than some other brands. They sound great, but I want something that will last a little longer. I'm thinking I'll probably go with the Magnaflows just because I can't really find anyone else who knows much about the Jones system. BUT, I'm still open to more suggestions...so anyone?

Old 06-28-2007 | 07:27 PM
Are your pipes still good or are they junk also?
If they are still good swap the muffler out for a different one of your choice,thats the cheapest way out.

Old 06-28-2007 | 08:11 PM
|
No, the pipes are bad. They are what rusted through and broke in half...well one of them actually broke in half. The tips actually rusted through so bad that they both have holes on the outside of them...large holes...big enough to stick 3 fingers through. And then several exhaust shops have told me that the muffler is also bad....that something broke loose in it??? There is a rattle. I think they said it was the "baffle."??? So, I now need everything. And since I'm gonna have to drop at least $400, I want to get something loud enough to keep me happy.

Old 06-28-2007 | 08:56 PM
Why not just order a muffler of ebay and have the shop weld it on. Why not just dump it right after the muffler. It would be the cheapest way, since it sounds like you are going to change it again after grad school. If you want loud get the cherry bomb extreme muffler or the flowmaster 10 series. The are both a single chamber muffler and will extremely loud. Just my thoughts.

Quick Reply: magnaflow or jones?