Is there a way around 4 cats??

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007 | 02:58 PM
|
Is there a way around 4 cats??

Hey all, recently, I've noticed the original cats since I've been under the truck alot but haven't paid much attention to them until two days ago. The cats on the drivers side are rattling inside, its only when your idling or running low RPMS. I tapped them lightly with a rubber mallet and they are rattling. I've read that once they do that, its near the end of their useful life.

Also since I'm dualing my exhaust, I was wondering maybe this would be a choicest time to redo my emissions system since it may fail soon.

My question is, is there a way to run just 1 Cat on the 4.6L? I reeally don't want to pay for 4 new cats! Especially since the OEM setup s over $400 with a discount for me (know a guy).

I'd like just one cat running so this would free up some HP and some mileage as well, I just have a fear that someone will tell me I'll run into complications with them damned 02 sensors.

Thanks for any replies!!! Help!

Old 06-28-2007 | 03:12 PM
i dont think you can run just one. that would cause all kinds of problems. just get 2 magnaflow highflow cats. you only have 2 cats. those small ones up front are just resonators.

Old 06-28-2007 | 03:16 PM
|
Oh really? I never knew that, I thought they were all cats. Ok thats not nearly as bad a buying 4! I do like the feedback on the mag cats. What about sensor problems now? Will that be an issue with these 2 new cats?

Old 06-28-2007 | 03:50 PM
I think what he meant when he asked if he could run just one is, can he run one on each side.

Old 06-28-2007 | 03:52 PM
i think people just replace those resonators with regular pipe. and have the mags welded on. i think 02 sensers stay where they are. you dont want to mess with those. the mag cats and a mag or flowmaster muffler youllc be in good shape.

Old 06-28-2007 | 04:35 PM
|
syoung, yes my wording choice was poor but u got the idear!

keith, that sounds freakin awesome! I was just gonna do the mag cats and a magnaflow y pipe to have duals.

Quick Reply: Is there a way around 4 cats??