Question about the EDGE..?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007 | 11:22 PM
|
Question Question about the EDGE..?

First of all I want to introduce myself since I am a new guy to this Forum. Name is Ryan, I live in Las Vegas and just bought a 2006 F150 SuperCrew XLT 5.4, 2wd. I dont have that much mods since I only had my truck for a little over a month. I bought the HD headlights in replacement of the chrome ones. I also got the 5K HID conversion kit. Well I been reading up on CAI and Exhaust systems and I keep coming across people asking if the EDGE will work along with their intake and exhaust. I tried a search to find out more about ' Edge ' but I couldnt find anything helpful. Can you guys fill me in on this? Thanks!

Old 07-07-2007 | 11:41 PM
Global Moderator &
Originally Posted by ItalianRyan24
First of all I want to introduce myself since I am a new guy to this Forum. Name is Ryan, I live in Las Vegas and just bought a 2006 F150 SuperCrew XLT 5.4, 2wd. I dont have that much mods since I only had my truck for a little over a month. I bought the HD headlights in replacement of the chrome ones. I also got the 5K HID conversion kit. Well I been reading up on CAI and Exhaust systems and I keep coming across people asking if the EDGE will work along with their intake and exhaust. I tried a search to find out more about ' Edge ' but I couldnt find anything helpful. Can you guys fill me in on this? Thanks!
There is some concern that the Edge will run lean if you have the 3 1/2 inch after market intake. Some have gotten the code, indicating a lean position. Those running a 3 inch intak have had no problems as far as I know. Keep searching, change your wording, there should be a lot to read on it. I have had the Edge for 21,000 miles and no problems at all, but I have stock intake, just a K & N drop-in, and SIDO exhaust. Good luck, and welcome.

Old 07-08-2007 | 03:41 PM
|
Ok thanks for the info. I will continue searching about this. So the edge is just a programmer right?

Old 07-08-2007 | 03:58 PM
Old 07-08-2007 | 04:38 PM
|
Tical84, Thanks a lot for the link. Was very helpful. So with this Installed, you can input your mods such as intake tube size, tire size, etc and it will program itself to get the most power out of what mods you installed? Thanks again and any other info you have on this would be great!

Ryan

Old 07-08-2007 | 04:57 PM
Yes the Edge will let you change tire sizes,gearing,shifting,WOT fuel,etc...
It is a great product IMO if you want to stay mostly stock.The edge can't fix a lean condition except at WOT.Every truck reacts dif to CAI on how much they lean out.Also the newer trucks like yours can run lean from the factory.The amount they will lean out also depends on how much the CAI actually flows over stock??The 3in CAI is supposed to be safe for the newer fords but when combined with the Edge i don't know what will happen.
How quick do you want the tuner and maybe some others with the edge and CAI can tell you what intake they are running.I still wouldn't run one unless i knew what the A/F ratios are.Just because there is no CEL does not mean it's not lean
I myself would not chance it and get a custom tune if you want to keep modifying and want it safe

Last edited by Kevin24; 07-08-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-08-2007 | 06:42 PM
|
Well I been researching on a few different CAIs and most people are using either K&N, Volant, AF1 and Outlaw. Every one of those has its pros and cons but the ones with less cons are the K&N and Outlaw. (From what I been reading). Now people are using the edge along with their CAI. Is it a MUST to get edge before I do any intake/exhaust mods? I dont want to install anything unless I know its safe for my truck. Thanks for the reply!

Old 07-08-2007 | 06:49 PM
I have the edge and im very happy with it. I just ordered the K&N CAI 3" and should arrive Wednesday. I'll post back my results after I install it!

Old 07-08-2007 | 07:04 PM
|
F150FXONLINE, where did you get your edge unit? A link would be great! Also, yeah that would be great if you let me know how your K&N works with the edge. But like my last post, do you have to have the edge before you make any CAI mods? Thanks!

Old 07-08-2007 | 09:46 PM
ItalianRyan24 I bought my edge from member here in the forums. "NO" you dont have to have the edge to install the K&N first. And you dont even have to have the edge to run the K&N. Hope that helps!

I have the edge and a Magaflow SI/DO and love my setup. Of course I wanted more so started reading up on the CAI systems and had to order one! Now just to hope everything works together ok!

Old 07-09-2007 | 01:53 AM
|
Cool thanks for the info! This is my first truck im doing mods to so im still trying to figure things out. I was asking about needing the edge or any kind of tuner of some sort because I was reading up on people that installed their CAI, and their truck was running too lean. Being ' lean ' means more air than fuel right? So they would use their ' tuner ' to i guess balance it out....or just fix the problem. Sometimes their CEL would come on so thats just making me a little concerned. . .

Old 07-10-2007 | 02:37 AM
Edge

I have all three basic mods, cai,edge,and sido exhaust. I have had absolutely no problems. With the edge you can modify different settings but I don't recommend it if you aren't sure of what you are doing. I have left mine on setting 2 and run 87 octane fuel and she runs like a champ!

Old 07-10-2007 | 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by Firemut30
I have all three basic mods, cai,edge,and sido exhaust. I have had absolutely no problems. With the edge you can modify different settings but I don't recommend it if you aren't sure of what you are doing. I have left mine on setting 2 and run 87 octane fuel and she runs like a champ!
Run level 3 and you wont go back to level 2. lol

Old 07-10-2007 | 09:52 AM
05supercrew can a person run lvl3 with 93 and leave it default? Or do you have to custom set everything on lvl3?

Can you tell me what kind of a differance going from 2-3 makes just curious?

Thanks!

Old 07-10-2007 | 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by F150FXOnline
05supercrew can a person run lvl3 with 93 and leave it default? Or do you have to custom set everything on lvl3?

Can you tell me what kind of a differance going from 2-3 makes just curious?

Thanks!
You can leave the defaults alone. I always check the axle gear to make sure its correct, up the shift pressure to #6 (which is nothing really) up the top speed to 120 mph (ive never seen close to 100mph) and change my wot shift to 5000 1-2 gear and 2-3 but 3-4 is 4800 rpm. and rev limiter is set at 5600 rpm. And of course tire size is changed. And there is a big difference from level 2 to level 3. Try it you will love it. Acceleration is a lot better, better fuel mileage. Level2 is better for take offs and towing. Level 3 is more power up top, passing gear is a lot better also.

Quick Reply: Question about the EDGE..?