F150 owners with CAIs...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 02:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post F150 owners with CAIs...

Lets see some pictures and some info about your set up. Personally, how do you like it? Can you notice more power? Did you come across any problems with the install? Did your CEL come on? I been researching a bunch of different CAIs but I want to know what all of you think personally about your CAI. Think this would be a good thread to help myself and other people to make a decision on what would work best for our f150s. Thanks!!

Old 07-09-2007, 03:21 AM
O ya, I been doing a search about different CAI systems. I do come across a lot of people that have K&N set up and the Outlaw setup. Anyone with one of these 2?

Old 07-09-2007, 03:23 AM
Use the search function ! You'll have more info than you can imagine !

Old 07-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Yeah I know about the search and I been reading A LOT about a bunch of different CAI kits you can get. I just wanted to post a thread so people who want to sport their CAI and tell everyone how they like it from a personal level. Anyone?

Old 07-09-2007, 11:38 PM
Just installed a K&N 57 CAI last weekend. So far, I love it!! There is a noticeable difference in driving. I can't put my finger on what the difference is. It seems like there is less delay from stepping on the gas. Haven't really driven enough to notice if there are any improvements in fuel economy. Although, I will probably actually see a decrease because I can't keep myself from punching it everytime i pull out.

As far as the K&N, if you look back a week or two in this forum, i started a thread "K&N vs AF1" because it seems most people around here are partial to the AF1 intakes. Read that for some info. I ended up going with the K&N from performancepeddler.com. Price was great, fast shipping, all around good purchase.

Install was very easy. It took me about 3 hrs, although I am clueless when it comes to working on cars, so i really took my time. It would probably take most people under 2 hrs.

Click on my camera icon to see some pics of the finished product.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by ItalianRyan24
Yeah I know about the search and I been reading A LOT about a bunch of different CAI kits you can get. I just wanted to post a thread so people who want to sport their CAI and tell everyone how they like it from a personal level. Anyone?
i have the K&N 57 series intake system, and i love it. noticeable gain in power and better throttle response too. install was simple, i did it myself in about an hour. my engine seemed kinda wierd for the first day, it would idle a little lower and stuff but this was just the truck's computer learning the increased airflow and its affect on the engine. no CEL. after the first day it was normal and working great. makes the engine sound much throatier too. with this and my exhaust on im getting a little better mileage too.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:16 AM
I have a Brute Force cai on my '06. Between that and exhaust it seemed like the so called "throttle lag" was gone and had much better response. I am thinking of up grading to the outlaw, like what I've read on it so far. I also added the Edge, it did wonders for power and I was getting better mileage(until I added my 20's).

Old 07-10-2007, 07:24 AM
?

Originally Posted by ItalianRyan24
Lets see some pictures and some info about your set up. Personally, how do you like it? Can you notice more power? Did you come across any problems with the install? Did your CEL come on? I been researching a bunch of different CAIs but I want to know what all of you think personally about your CAI. Think this would be a good thread to help myself and other people to make a decision on what would work best for our f150s. Thanks!!
just note-these 04 and up fords can be lean from the factory and some cai's will lean it out more- and still may not pop a cel, i personally saw a 04 at troyer dyno days running a 17-1 air fuel ratio and no pop the light-o4's are more notorious for running lean- hope this helps-phil

Old 07-10-2007, 09:17 PM
got a k&n, qick & easy istall, no cel, no problems since the install, dont feel no power gains but on WOT she sure souns nice
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...9252-thumb.jpg

Old 07-11-2007, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by Shane1
Use the search function ! You'll have more info than you can imagine !
Hey "Shane1" I really like those wheels you have, what are they? Sorry, I'm still new so they won't let me send a private message.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by jb27
Just installed a K&N 57 CAI last weekend. So far, I love it!! There is a noticeable difference in driving. I can't put my finger on what the difference is. It seems like there is less delay from stepping on the gas. Haven't really driven enough to notice if there are any improvements in fuel economy. Although, I will probably actually see a decrease because I can't keep myself from punching it everytime i pull out.

As far as the K&N, if you look back a week or two in this forum, i started a thread "K&N vs AF1" because it seems most people around here are partial to the AF1 intakes. Read that for some info. I ended up going with the K&N from performancepeddler.com. Price was great, fast shipping, all around good purchase.

Install was very easy. It took me about 3 hrs, although I am clueless when it comes to working on cars, so i really took my time. It would probably take most people under 2 hrs.

Click on my camera icon to see some pics of the finished product.
JB27, Thanks for your input! Sorry it took me so long to get back. Its been crazy busy at work and havent been on. I will definitly check out your thread on K&N VS AF1. How does that heat shield mount in the engine bay? Did you have to make new holes to mount it?

Last edited by ItalianRyan24; 07-11-2007 at 12:57 AM.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:46 AM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
i have the K&N 57 series intake system, and i love it. noticeable gain in power and better throttle response too. install was simple, i did it myself in about an hour. my engine seemed kinda wierd for the first day, it would idle a little lower and stuff but this was just the truck's computer learning the increased airflow and its affect on the engine. no CEL. after the first day it was normal and working great. makes the engine sound much throatier too. with this and my exhaust on im getting a little better mileage too.
mSaLL150, Thanks as well for the input on your set up. Kinda strange how it would idle lower than normal being that it is a bigger intake! So it just fixed itself in about a day? You runnin edge with your setup?

Old 07-11-2007, 12:49 AM
Originally Posted by Firemut30
I have a Brute Force cai on my '06. Between that and exhaust it seemed like the so called "throttle lag" was gone and had much better response. I am thinking of up grading to the outlaw, like what I've read on it so far. I also added the Edge, it did wonders for power and I was getting better mileage(until I added my 20's).
Brute force eh...Never heard of that one. I heard a lot about the outlaw and from what I been reading, I think its right up there with K&N. If you do get it, let me know how it works for you! Im thinking about getting the edge once I figure out what im getting and I have the parts in my hand. What kind of exhaust are you runnin?

Old 07-11-2007, 12:52 AM
Originally Posted by openclasspro#11
just note-these 04 and up fords can be lean from the factory and some cai's will lean it out more- and still may not pop a cel, i personally saw a 04 at troyer dyno days running a 17-1 air fuel ratio and no pop the light-o4's are more notorious for running lean- hope this helps-phil
Yeah it helps a lot and thanks for your reply! Im new to all this so any info I can get is VERY helpful. I have a '06 5.4. Are they known for running lean as well? Im about to seatch this in a min but how do you figure that Air/Fuel ratio? Now knowing that they come stock LEAN, makes me want to just get the edge before I install the CAI....

Old 07-11-2007, 12:56 AM
Originally Posted by kAkA_r0Ach
got a k&n, qick & easy istall, no cel, no problems since the install, dont feel no power gains but on WOT she sure souns nice
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...9252-thumb.jpg
Are you just runnin with the K&N? No exhaust? This could be another search for me but I would think that if your going to get a CAI, you should get a exhaust too. Bigger intake that sucks in more air, and having a stock exhaust might be harder to push the air back out.....? . I will definitly have to search that one! Anyone have any input on this one??

Quick Reply: F150 owners with CAIs...