Magnaflow set my truck on fire!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007 | 12:08 PM
well this just makes me thrilled, now im gonna have to do something. I tow long ways at times also.

Old 07-30-2007 | 01:17 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by welfare wagon
I just returned from my trip to Florida with my travel trailer, on the way to Fl. I stopped at a rest area about 5 hours into the trip to eat lunch, while my family and I were heading back to the trailer to eat I noticed smoke pouring from the rear of the truck, to my suprise the spare tire was on fire, lucky I had an extienguisher handy to put out the blaze.
Has this happend to anyone else? I know my circumstance is not as common, towing a trailer, but I installed everything as instructed, checked for proper clearance around the truck body and frame and have towed several times before, though not as long of a trip.
I removed the spare for the rest of the trip, as it is now useless, once at the beach I made some minor adjsutments to the exhaust and re hung the spare under the bed, the trip back home resulted in no fire nor any evidence of heat damged to the tire again.

BTW my Magnaflow is PN 16612
Our Maganflow Exhaust Fits into the Factory Location. Our exhaust is only a 1/2 inch bigger than the factory exhaust. Upon Installation you can loosen the spare tire and move it over away from the exhaust. These no reason for our exhaust to start any fires.

Old 07-30-2007 | 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by TYates
Hope everything goes well on the trip.

I live next door in Winchester.

Tim
Not far away myself. I live in Sonora and work in E-town. Mom was born in Ashland.

Old 07-30-2007 | 02:28 PM
|
Our Maganflow Exhaust Fits into the Factory Location. Our exhaust is only a 1/2 inch bigger than the factory exhaust. Upon Installation you can loosen the spare tire and move it over away from the exhaust. These no reason for our exhaust to start any fires.
I did all that and it still happened.

After my weekend trip with the camper to Louisville I have to say no problems after applying the heat tape, this does not compare to the last trip of 300 miles before the fire started but it has seemed to help.

Old 07-30-2007 | 03:24 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by welfare wagon
I did all that and it still happened.

After my weekend trip with the camper to Louisville I have to say no problems after applying the heat tape, this does not compare to the last trip of 300 miles before the fire started but it has seemed to help.
What is your Tire and Wheel Combo on this Truck?

Old 07-30-2007 | 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by huntingky
Not far away myself. I live in Sonora and work in E-town. Mom was born in Ashland.
I live in Cannonsburg so it is just down the road from Ashland.

Old 07-30-2007 | 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by MagnaFlowRep
My spare was a 275/65 R18 I believe which is probably what Welfare's was. It worked out to 32-inch diameter. I've decided not to carry a spare as I have 35-inch tires anyway and it's simply tight back there on the 5.5 foot bed with the long leafs and big spare. I looked into dumping it in front of the axle but not sure about the fumes, also I took mine to a custom shop and they said they could get it moved with some bending but I doubt I'd ever feel real comfortable and it's not worth it with the tire combo I have. The pipe can't move much and even a custom bend may only get an inch or two but if you did that and added exhuast wrap/heat shields etc plus moved the spare a little I'm sure it would be plenty safe. I figure I'll just get a 35-inch spare and throw it in the bed for out of town trips. If I were running stock tires I'd do what I said above. Or if I can squeeze a 35 under the bed I may dump the exhuast. If I really had nad I'd have stacks behind the cab

Old 07-30-2007 | 04:44 PM
Holy ****!

Old 07-30-2007 | 06:56 PM
|
275-65-18 same as everyone else who has a supercrew that hasnt changed the spare to something larger.

Old 07-30-2007 | 07:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Haven't had any problems with mine - yet. I'll be watching it closely.

Last edited by kd4crs; 07-30-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-30-2007 | 07:19 PM
I wonder if aftermarket exhaust systems often ignite spare tires? Sounds like it could easily happen if the exhaust system designer is not aware of the potential issue.

Old 07-30-2007 | 09:41 PM
so tonight after returning from work I reached under my truck to feel the spare tire, and it was extremely hot. Should I result to the heat tape also? Should I put it on the spare or on the exhaust? My tire is a 255/70r17.

Old 07-30-2007 | 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by raptorman01
so tonight after returning from work I reached under my truck to feel the spare tire, and it was extremely hot. Should I result to the heat tape also? Should I put it on the spare or on the exhaust? My tire is a 255/70r17.
Check out www.heatshieldproducts.com or others. The exhaust/header wrap goes directly on the pipe (not tape on pipe) and you can use either straps or heat tape over the wrap to secure it. I was going to strap the flexible shields on that side of the spare tire and maybe even put on the exhaust shield for overkill.

Old 07-31-2007 | 08:54 AM
|
I wrapped mine around the pipe, I only needed to do about a 12 in section.

here is what I bought

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Old 07-31-2007 | 09:31 AM
Welfarewagon thanks for the post. Never noticed a problem before, but now I will keep an eye on mine for sure. I don't tow for long stretches, but I do alot of idleing. Maybe a roll of heat tape on the pipe just for insurance.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow set my truck on fire!!