Magnaflow set my truck on fire!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 01:19 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What you all can do is lower your spare tire clean off the dirt from the top of the tire and then move towards the drivers side farther away from the exhaust. Then re-install the tire for proper fit and seal.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by MagnaFlowRep
Our Maganflow Exhaust Fits into the Factory Location. Our exhaust is only a 1/2 inch bigger than the factory exhaust. Upon Installation you can loosen the spare tire and move it over away from the exhaust. These no reason for our exhaust to start any fires.
This is not an accurate statement. The factory system and your 16612 go thru the same GENERAL location and your exhaust pipe is significantly different from the factory pipe and it's proximety to the spare.

Additionally, if you read step 3 of http://images.magnaflow.com/07techtips/pdfs/15821.pdf, you'll see Magnaflow mentiones the potential for fire.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:02 PM
What you all can do is lower your spare tire clean off the dirt from the top of the tire and then move towards the drivers side farther away from the exhaust. Then re-install the tire for proper fit and seal.
I have done that and you know it only gives a bit more clearance, the other thing is soon after driving it vibrates back to its original position.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by welfare wagon
275-65-18 same as everyone else who has a supercrew that hasnt changed the spare to something larger.
Mine came from the factory with 255-70-17 for a spare... WTH???

Old 08-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by welfare wagon
I have done that and you know it only gives a bit more clearance, the other thing is soon after driving it vibrates back to its original position.

Our exhaust system is only a 1/4" inch bigger on both sides adding only 1/2" bigger total. Yes the instructions do say that in my cause problems if theres not enough clearance (1/2" Total) . But there are no reports of any fires due to the exhaust getting to close to the tire other than the 2 that are reported here. If you google this issue there are some people claiming they are having spare tire issues with either the tire moving or actually falling off. If the tire moves then the clearance is being reduced. This is a popular selling system and have never had any issues. We are investigating this issue and I will keep you all informed as to what we find out.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:48 PM
shoulda went with Flowmaster

j/k, I'm sorry this happened to you, that really sucks . a tire has to get really hot to catch fire, I bet the smell was pretty bad too. that heat wrap should help with the temps. hope everything works ok from now on with that exhaust on your truck

Old 08-01-2007, 08:54 PM
Our exhaust system is only a 1/4" inch bigger on both sides adding only 1/2" bigger total. Yes the instructions do say that in my cause problems if theres not enough clearance (1/2" Total) . But there are no reports of any fires due to the exhaust getting to close to the tire other than the 2 that are reported here. If you google this issue there are some people claiming they are having spare tire issues with either the tire moving or actually falling off. If the tire moves then the clearance is being reduced. This is a popular selling system and have never had any issues. We are investigating this issue and I will keep you all informed as to what we find out.
Thank you for looking into this issue, while I have never doubted Magnaflow nor do I have any other reasons to complain, I just wanted to bring it to the attetion of other members and see myself if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Makes me feel a lot better getting before the wheel exhaust.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:29 PM
Sorry for resurrecting an old post (haven't been logged in for awhile). I have the SISO Magnaflow, so I don't have an issue with the tire catching fire. However, I towed my father's 8000 pound travel trailer to Penn State one weekend and as we were coming up past the resevoir where its about a 6% grade, I made sure to keep the RPM's up around 4500 or so and pulled up the hill with no problem. Some friends were following up behind me and they said that they could see a massive amount of hot air being pushed out of the exhaust - significantly more than before the grade. They said it literally looked like heat waves being forced out of the pipe and was so strong that it was blowing the gravel on the side of the road away.

I'd caution anyone towing heavy loads with the exhuast pipe near the tire to wrap the pipe with thermal wraps.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by Rhin0
Sorry for resurrecting an old post (haven't been logged in for awhile). I have the SISO Magnaflow, so I don't have an issue with the tire catching fire.
One of the guys has a si/so that caught fire. After installing my cai I notice my exhaust being very hot. I also have an edge and magnaflow si/so.

Last edited by 05supercrew; 09-24-2007 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:59 PM
Supercrew, the reason the CAI kit made it hotter, you were running leaner. just FYI. The Edge tuner should of helped that issue, no?

Old 09-24-2007, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
Supercrew, the reason the CAI kit made it hotter, you were running leaner. just FYI. The Edge tuner should of helped that issue, no?
I know the Cai will lean it out, I just need to know how much. I need to update my Edge or its time to sell the Edge and get an XcalII or III.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:03 PM
*update* I updated the Edge and it made a big difference. The exhaust temp is a lot cooler and the whole truck drive smoother. Plus the intake doesnt make as much noise.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:48 PM
id be suing(spelling doesnt look correct...) the ++++ out of magnaflow if this happened to me

Old 09-25-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
*update* I updated the Edge and it made a big difference. The exhaust temp is a lot cooler and the whole truck drive smoother. Plus the intake doesnt make as much noise.
What did you do? What difference in the Edge did you make? Your running the S&B kit right? Custom tune? or just played with settings? Just wondering.... looking (and still thinking & saving) to get the S&B and Edge soon. Thanks SuperCrew.

P.S. SICK F1: He could try the law suit, but I would go ahead and bet that Magnaflow can afford really good, expensive lawyers... plus they will be able to "prove" it wasn't their system, it was the Ford truck design and the blah blah blah. Better to keep working with them and hope they help you out! just my opinion...

Quick Reply: Magnaflow set my truck on fire!!