muffler increase or decrease mpg????

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007 | 12:13 AM
|
muffler increase or decrease mpg????

i been hearing it does both is this right or wrong? if so what does a flowmaster super 40 series do increase or decrease???

Old 07-17-2007 | 01:16 PM
Aftermarket exhaust will always increase your mpg as long as you keep your foot out of it and drive like a maw-maw. Which won't happen, at least not until the new wears off. You will accelerate harder and stay in it longer just listenin' to the rumble.

As for "Slo"master, you will lose some low end torque due to the baffles they use for their sound. Magnaflow, Borla, Bassani, all have straight thru designs actually increasing low end torque. I recommend Magnaflow for a balance in sound, performance and price.

Old 07-17-2007 | 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by ParkM
Aftermarket exhaust will always increase your mpg as long as you keep your foot out of it and drive like a maw-maw. Which won't happen, at least not until the new wears off. You will accelerate harder and stay in it longer just listenin' to the rumble.

As for "Slo"master, you will lose some low end torque due to the baffles they use for their sound. Magnaflow, Borla, Bassani, all have straight thru designs actually increasing low end torque. I recommend Magnaflow for a balance in sound, performance and price.
X2

Old 07-17-2007 | 07:03 PM
I gained nothing with the Flows on my last truck. I went with Magnaflow on this truck. Picked up 1.5 MPG.

Old 07-17-2007 | 11:39 PM
Yep, the Borla gained me 1.8 mpg highway.

And BTW, that thing is gettin' considerably louder now that I've got about 2k miles on it.

Quick Reply: muffler increase or decrease mpg????