Cat Back Manufacturers

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cat Back Manufacturers

I'm looking to get a cat back for my truck and I've seen the ones made by Magnaflow, Banks, and Corsa. Are there any other designers or manufacturers I should look at before I buy?

Old 07-23-2007, 07:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

id also consider borla and of course, FLOWMASTER.
if you want it quiet, go borla.
if you want it deeper on acceleration but quieter on idle and cruising, go magnaflow.
if you want it just friggin loud and deep, get flowmaster.

also, i wouldnt buy a whole cat-back kit, they are expensive. buy the muffler you want, and buy your tip(s). then take them to a shop and have them bend pipes for you. it will save you a few hundred bucks.

hope this helps.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the help. I'll check them out. I like the premade ones because of the quality of bends, design, and workmanship. However getting a muffler and having a shop put it together sounds pretty good if am going to save a few hundred bucks.

Oh yeah as far as sound I figure something with a good rumble but nothing obnoxious. I don't think the performance between the systems has much difference unless you have a ton of mods.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by TNoff
Thanks for the help. I'll check them out. I like the premade ones because of the quality of bends, design, and workmanship. However getting a muffler and having a shop put it together sounds pretty good if am going to save a few hundred bucks.

Oh yeah as far as sound I figure something with a good rumble but nothing obnoxious. I don't think the performance between the systems has much difference unless you have a ton of mods.
ya it'd be in your best interest to have the shop do it. even the pre-made ones arent perfect. there have been cases where magnaflow miscalculated theirs and their premade pipes rubbed against the spare tire, and when they get hot the tires would catch fire. just find a quality shop, my pipes look awesome and they did a great job, cant barely tell the difference between mine and a pre-fab one, couldnt be happier.

btw gorgeous truck, i have a 2004 lariat 4x4 that is one tone arizona beige too. love it.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:00 PM
im lookin into a aeroturbine muffler instead of the super 44 now

Old 07-23-2007, 10:23 PM
I love borla, I have purchased a ton of their exhaust systems. Perfect fit and sounds excellent on every vehicle I have put it on.. Corsa is very nice as well, but they have had quality problems in the past with their mufflers... Magnaflow sounds decent, but the tips are "cheap" looking to me versus the borla and corsa tips. Depending on the muffler of flowmaster, but they usually don't outflow the the competitors.. They typically sound good, but have drone issues depending on the muffler..

Personally, I would probably go with the offroad Roush system, it sounds good and is priced decently..

Try to listen to the systems in person if you have a chance.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:36 AM
I went with a Borla SI/SO and I originally thought it was on the quiet side. It had a nice rumble but just seemed kinda tame. I've got a couple thousand miles on it now and it's definitely sounding louder, more agressive. If anything the rumble is even deeper. I freakin' love how it's sounding now!

I would take a hard look at the Roush, they're made by Borla but Roush seems to sell them for a bit less.

Just as a side note, I was behind a guy in traffic today who had apparently bolted a nice chrome tip onto the stock pipe on his KR. The thing stuck out maybe 3-4 inches from the side of truck. Looked ridiculous!

Old 07-24-2007, 03:44 AM
I went with the Force II Flowmaster Catback with series 50 muffler. Put it on my self and it fit great, just remember if you do it yourself put it together but DON'T tighten everything up untill you set the clearances.My wife and I can carry on a conversation untill I put my foot down and then it comes to life.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
ya it'd be in your best interest to have the shop do it. even the pre-made ones arent perfect. there have been cases where magnaflow miscalculated theirs and their premade pipes rubbed against the spare tire, and when they get hot the tires would catch fire. just find a quality shop, my pipes look awesome and they did a great job, cant barely tell the difference between mine and a pre-fab one, couldnt be happier.

btw gorgeous truck, i have a 2004 lariat 4x4 that is one tone arizona beige too. love it.
I don't see what's so difficult in making a cat back for these trucks. I had several pre-made systems for my other cars and never had a problem. They even had less room to work in. I think there are only a few different looks you can put on them ie, dual out, dual out the corners of the bumpers, dual out the side, dual out the side in front of tires and then the single versions. I think if one company does it right and give you a choice in sound and in pipe tip they could get really popular. You look for a cat back for a Honda you can find a ton of manufacturers doing it a 100 different ways for one car and done right. Maybe the aftermarket for F150s isn't quite is big.

Thank man. When I saw it I had to have it.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by TNoff
Thank man. When I saw it I had to have it.
same here, i think the beige is the best looking color on these trucks. heres mine:

you can see my tailpipes. shop did an excellent job for an excellent price. ill take some pictures of the welding from underneath when i get my truck back tonight.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
same here, i think the beige is the best looking color on these trucks. heres mine:

you can see my tailpipes. shop did an excellent job for an excellent price. ill take some pictures of the welding from underneath when i get my truck back tonight.
Oh yeah nice truck! The pipes look great.

Quick Reply: Cat Back Manufacturers