Exhaust Leak???

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007 | 12:48 PM
|
Exhaust Leak???

I have an annoying exhaust leak sound that sounds like it is coming from the passenger side. I have checked all of the spark plugs fearing that I had one loose, but they were all good and tight. I have also looked around the exhaust manifold at the head and collector and can see no evidence of any type of leak. There is a small leak where the magnaflow slips on to the factory Y pipe. Would this get loud enough to be heard plainly inside the cabin while accelerating?

Old 08-04-2007 | 06:24 PM
check the rear most manifold bolts. im willing to bet one of those is broken off.common problem. its a annoying ticking sound right??

Old 08-05-2007 | 12:07 AM
Probably on the manifold. Same thing with my truck. I'm actually embarrassed starting up my truck and driving away when people can hear it ticking like crazy. But, from what I gather its expensive to fix, and I just spent truck money on new shocks... So the ticking continues.

Old 08-05-2007 | 12:30 AM
Global Moderator &
id check all the exaust clamps too, there are several different places that the exaust is clamped before where you maggie is.

Old 08-05-2007 | 01:56 PM
|
Follow Up to Exhaust Leak

I have already checked the manifold bolts and they all look nearly new with none broken off. I have no black soot anywhere near the manifold or collector to indicate a leak. I would still swear that it is an exhaust leak. It is not really noticable until I accelerate during normal driving. I will find it eventually I guess.

Old 08-05-2007 | 02:09 PM
does it get louder or quieter as your engine gets hot?

Old 08-06-2007 | 01:43 PM
|
It doesn't seem to get any louder but it is really only noticeable at low speeds i guess because of road noise. If I get on the throttle I can still hear it even at high speeds.

Old 08-06-2007 | 11:18 PM
i have the same problem. I am almost embarassed when i ride by buildings cause of the sound that bounces off the walls. All i hear is air when i hit the gas. But i shouldnt have to worry about that much longer. I am getting true duals next week, and i will check and make sure the spark plugs are tight as well

Old 08-07-2007 | 11:01 AM
It could be your joint with your magnaflow, my brother's exhaust had a small leak at a junction and was extremely annoying. He took it back to the shop and they reworked it and so far all is good. It was more of a whooshy sound as opposed to the ticking when it was his manifold studs however.

Old 08-11-2007 | 12:39 PM
Same Problem

I had the same problem on my 04 FX4 Screw. I also checked the bolts and they were good. I found a "redneck" check online. Attach (with duct tape) your shop-vac to your exhaust tip and place your shop-vac on blower setting. The pressure inside the exhaust system will start to leak (without the motor running). I used a soapy solution to find the leak. My exhaust manifold gasket was leaking on the passenger side. Sounds hokie, but the blower trick worked. I had to have the wife hold the hose though, otherwise the pressure would blow the hose off of the exhaust tip.

Old 08-22-2007 | 01:25 PM
ok bootyhunter,
so what did you do about it?
my 02 screw is doing the same thing, one shop said passenger side exhaust manifold gasket needs replaced. $325 to fix
what happens if i don't fix it soon?
thanks
dommigirl

Old 08-31-2007 | 08:19 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong, with a exhaust leak you should be hearing the ticking all the time wheather its in park reverse or drive.right? I only hear it when I put it in drive and have the passenger window down. I don't hear other than that.Thanks

Old 09-04-2007 | 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Brads984x4
i have the same problem. I am almost embarassed when i ride by buildings cause of the sound that bounces off the walls. All i hear is air when i hit the gas. But i shouldnt have to worry about that much longer. I am getting true duals next week, and i will check and make sure the spark plugs are tight as well
'99 Scab, same problem. Def passenger side whatever it is. Seems to be worse when the engines cold on mine, and slightly quiter when it heats up, leading me to believe it was exahust realted, however after reading others experiences, I'm wondering if its top end or manifold related. Its a ticking sound like everyone else is describing, and Brad is right, it bounces off the houses in the neighborhood when driving up the street and its really embarassing...

Lets try to figure this out, or I'm trading up for a used avalanche!!

Old 09-07-2007 | 04:33 PM
|
Definitely the manifold

Well, I tried the squirt bottle full of soapy water trick and there they were. Bubbles by the hundreds. Looked like a tiny little bubble blowing machine gone berzerk. I guess I will do my research and figure out my next move (fix the leak, install shortys, or go long tube). Money (or lack thereof) is a factor here so, the long tubes are probably not an option at over $1000. Everything I have read tells me that shortys don't give you that much power if any. That leads me to believe that I will go buy the bolts, gaskets (felpro) and just fix what I already have.

Anybody out there with any other options (other than just let it leak) please let me know about them.

Old 10-30-2007 | 12:56 AM
Ok, So i have the same problem on my passenger side. What steps do I need to take to fix this? As in parts. I figured i would take my passenger front wheel off along with the plastic gaurd above the wheel. What do i do from there? Im assuming it's my exhaust manifold. Ill try the bubbles/vacume trick. How much are the gaskets usually?

Quick Reply: Exhaust Leak???