Borla and AF-1

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borla and AF-1

I am thinking about getting a Borla Pro-XS SI/SO muffler and a AF-1 3" for my brothers 98 5.4.

Is this a good set up and will I need the tune package like some people are saying.

Also what HP and TQ gains can I see with the intake and exhaust?

Thanks Jake

Old 08-06-2007, 03:31 PM
I've got the Borla 140136 SI/SO and 3" AF1 on my '05 4.6L.

No tuning needed.. I can't tell you how much hp or tq I've gained, never had it on a dyno, but the intake makes a very noticeable difference at about 3500 rpm and above (like in passing or merging on the highway). Much better response!

I put the exhuast on before the intake and right away gained 1.8 mpg on the highway. The intake hasn't seemed to make any difference in the mileage.

Plus, y'all are gonne love the sounds that combo makes!

Old 08-06-2007, 08:39 PM
If I wanted true duels would I have to get headers?

Old 08-07-2007, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by Stenz
If I wanted true duels would I have to get headers?
No.

And the Borla + AF1 should make a great combo!

Old 08-07-2007, 12:49 AM
^^^^ thanks for the help.

If I want to get the true duels should I get an x-syle pipe or h-style pipe?

Old 08-07-2007, 10:36 AM

If I want to get the true duels should I get an x-syle pipe or h-style pipe?
Definately one or the other.

X-pipes are known to help from the mid-high range RPM's. They add a more toned sound to the exhaust.

H-pipes are known to help from the low-mid range RPM's. They add a deeper (muscle car-like) sound to the exhaust.

Install both as close to the motor as possible.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:30 AM
Well I just ordered the AF-1. I hope my brother and I wont be dissappointed.

Now on to the exhuast.

Any model numbers/part numbers in certain that I should consider with Borla and Magnaflow?

Last edited by Stenz; 08-18-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:49 PM
We installed the AF-1 yesterday and we were very pleased with the quality and the overall product. He still has the stock exhaust and the intake even made that louder. He is getting duels put on in the next week or so and after that its really gonna be sweet.

The only thing I was disappointed with was the instructions that came with the AF-1. I put a K&N on my dad 5.3L Sliverado the day before and the instructions were a million times better.

But anyways the AF-1 is the way to go.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:51 PM
We installed the AF-1 yesterday and we were very pleased with the quality and the overall product. He still has the stock exhaust and the intake even made that louder. He is getting duels put on in the next week or so and after that its really gonna be sweet.

The only thing I was disappointed with was the instructions that came with the AF-1. I put a K&N on my dad 5.3L Sliverado the day before and the instructions were a million times better.

But anyways the AF-1 is the way to go.
Yeah, the install sheets with the AF1 leave something to be desired, to say the least. Lines of instruction printed on top of black & white photos, rendering the text invisible. I expected better from such a high quality product.

Fortunately, once you get started it's pretty intuitive where everything goes.

Just put my AF1 back on today after taking it off for a trip to the dealer last week. Man, what a difference!! Got my "growl" back, the truck actually moves as soon as I mash it..

Old 08-20-2007, 12:21 AM
Is the AF-1 considerd a "cold air intake"? If not what would make it one?

Old 08-20-2007, 11:50 PM
bump

Old 08-24-2007, 03:36 PM
I also just installed an Air Force 1 but did not notice a huge difference in performance or sound. But I already had dual exhaust/headers/x pipe. Did your intake come with enough of the "bubble seal" to wrap all the way around the box? Mine has only enough to cover the top and then about 3" more. Also can anyone else check their intake temperature mine runs constantly 6-12* over ambient and at idle was about 30-40* over.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by HCFR-Halligan
I also just installed an Air Force 1 but did not notice a huge difference in performance or sound. But I already had dual exhaust/headers/x pipe. Did your intake come with enough of the "bubble seal" to wrap all the way around the box? Mine has only enough to cover the top and then about 3" more. Also can anyone else check their intake temperature mine runs constantly 6-12* over ambient and at idle was about 30-40* over.
Hmmm... there is no bubble-wrap or seal that should be anywhere near an AF1 intake. The AF1 is not an enclosed filter system.

If you have any sort of plastic wrap around your heat shield, take it off immediately.

This is what a properly installed 3" AF1 intake looks like on an '05 4.6L...

Old 08-26-2007, 01:54 PM
the part Im referring to is the rubber seal along the top for the hood. In the instructions its referred to as bubble seal or something like that. In the picture you posted yours goes from edge to edge at the top. In the directions I have it shows it going all the way around all the sides and top and bottom. However the piece I got is only long enough to go over the top and about a 2/3 of one side.

Old 08-26-2007, 04:35 PM
Stenz,
The AF1 is not a "cold air intake". It is a
"warm air intake". The AF1 is classified as an "exposed" filter system as opposed to an "enclosed" filter system

A true cold air system is one that has an enclosed filter such as the Bank Power and Outlaw Power intakes. Both the Banks Power and Outlaw Power intakes are highly recommended and dyno proven. If you look at the Outlaw Power website for the 2004+ F150 kit, you will see that the enclosure not only protects the filter from heat but from mud also. http://www.outlawpower.com/productdetail.php?sc=1486

To make an AF1 intake "cold air" you would have to make a full enclosure around the filter with a duct opening that ensures fresh air intake (side fender or infront of radiator).

Best of Luck!!

Is the AF-1 considerd a "cold air intake"? If not what would make it one?

Quick Reply: Borla and AF-1