Dyno tests & CAI's

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007 | 08:52 AM
|
Dyno tests & CAI's

Question for anyone who has some info. Been reading ALOT of posts on the subject of Dynos and cai's and was wondering, are these tests done on the road or in the shop? Secondly, does ANYONE have any dyno sheets to post up here on the boards? I read where people bring up the dynos to back up what they're saying, but have yet to see any of those people post their sheets here on the boards. Anyone? Thanks!

Old 08-11-2007 | 10:25 AM
Dyno tests are 99% of the time conducted in the shop, hopefully under controlled environmental conditions.

Road testing is great but requires great care in controlling the variables so that the test results are fair.

Here is a dyno sheet and dyno video from a member his name is "snowboard" or something like that:
http://www.outlawpower.com/productdetail.php?sc=1486

K&N is also good at dyno'ing many of their products and posting the results.
You are right, not many people here take the time to scan their dyno sheets.

Old 08-11-2007 | 11:44 AM
|
Thanks for the reply

Originally Posted by torqueaholic
Dyno tests are 99% of the time conducted in the shop, hopefully under controlled environmental conditions.

Road testing is great but requires great care in controlling the variables so that the test results are fair.

Here is a dyno sheet and dyno video from a member his name is "snowboard" or something like that:
http://www.outlawpower.com/productdetail.php?sc=1486

K&N is also good at dyno'ing many of their products and posting the results.
You are right, not many people here take the time to scan their dyno sheets.
This is why I don't take much stock in dynos on the cai's. I'm not driving my truck in a shop, I'M DRIVING ON THE ROAD!!! To get an actual performance read on these COLD air intakes they should be tested under actual road conditions and weather conditions. I've been reading alot of the threads on which cai's are better, and almost everyone brings up the dynos to back up their opinions as if the dynos are the bible of the performance world (which they may be). Anyway, the true tests are on the road, not in a shop. I'm going to check out the dyno sheets now torqueaholic. Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it!!

Old 08-13-2007 | 04:04 AM
I'm not sure what kind of answers you are looking for.

Your computer's CPU was developed and tested in a lab, not in a livingroom.

Your microwave was developed and tested in a lab, not a kitchen.

However, I do agree with you. My background is engineering testing. Most technical products that are "developed" and "tested" in a lab should thus be "proven" in the real world.

Dyno plots that you and I would be satisfied with are only available to multi-billion dollar companies, i.e. a controlled environment dyno in a FULL 80 mph+ wind tunnel!!

Old 08-13-2007 | 09:37 AM
|
An honest and truthful one

Originally Posted by torqueaholic
I'm not sure what kind of answers you are looking for.

Your computer's CPU was developed and tested in a lab, not in a livingroom.

Your microwave was developed and tested in a lab, not a kitchen.

However, I do agree with you. My background is engineering testing. Most technical products that are "developed" and "tested" in a lab should thus be "proven" in the real world.

Dyno plots that you and I would be satisfied with are only available to multi-billion dollar companies, i.e. a controlled environment dyno in a FULL 80 mph+ wind tunnel!!
You gave me exactly the answer I was looking for, an honest and truthful one which I do appreciate. As for my questions, I just read alot about which CAIs are better than others with alot of people bringing up dyno testing to base these findings on, so I was just curious how and under what conditions these tests are being performed. I recently purchased a CAI that is not recommended (based on dyno tests) for the tuner I have coming which will be a mistake on my part and one I am willing to live with. Hell, I've made worse mistakes than this in the past!

Old 08-15-2007 | 03:17 AM
|
Hey Torque

Don't know if your paying attention to this thread or not but just installed the volant and took out the K&N and so far, much happier w/ the Volant, throttle seems to be much more responsive!!

Quick Reply: Dyno tests & CAI's