need replacement magnaflow muffler...help

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin24
No you don't need all new pipes.what you have should be fine.
I dunno some say that you don't loose anything with a catback exhaust and others do with the flowmaster.
I used to have true duels with flowmaster 40 series and after i had this done i felt a big loss in low end power.I switched it around to the magnaflows and my truck has more power now than it ever has and i think it soundss better too.You also need to make sure that you get basically the same length muffler and the center is the same or you will be having to re do the pipes to make it work.
Kevin,
I'm not doubting you but I'm do not understand how Flowmaster mufflers cause a vehicle to lose low end power? Numerous testing has shown that straight through designed mufflers like Magnaflow flow better than chambered mufflers like Flowmaster. That being the case, it would seem that running high flow mufflers or no mufflers at all would cause more of a loss in backpressure and more loss in low end power or torque?

Old 08-13-2007, 04:56 PM
MDWILLI- I switched from the Flowmaster because it rusted out and I was willing to try something new and see if I liked it. I do like the muffler just wish it was a little louder.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:20 PM
bottle nose effect?

What is the bottle nose effect? is it bad if i get a muffler that has a inlet or outlet thats too big for the pipes im using? because with the muffler i have now that they put in it looks pretty clear that the flowmaster muffler im getting rid of was in fact too bug the pipe was simply welded in to make it fit the bigger flowmaster muffler. would it be more beneficial to get a 2.5 or 2.25 inlet muffler instead of the 3 inch or does it not really matter all that much??

thanks alot

Old 08-13-2007, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by mdwilli
Kevin,
I'm not doubting you but I'm do not understand how Flowmaster mufflers cause a vehicle to lose low end power? Numerous testing has shown that straight through designed mufflers like Magnaflow flow better than chambered mufflers like Flowmaster. That being the case, it would seem that running high flow mufflers or no mufflers at all would cause more of a loss in backpressure and more loss in low end power or torque?
I had the flowmasters for about a year and as soon as they were put on my truck it ran like a 2 legged dog!!!I had true duels using 2 1/4 inch pipe.I have never had a catback exhaust on my truck so i can't say how that would be.I would think you would not really notice it as much.The thing i liked about the flows was that it pulled very hard after say 3,000rpm.The problem was off the line it sucked.I switched to the magnaflows and my truck runs better than ever without changing anything else.So i know it was the flows but i never recorded any times or anything to prove how much of a dif it actually was.
The flowmasters use the baffles which hurts power while magnaflow uses a straight through design which is much better.The 4 converters make plenty of backpressure and maybe even too much for a short straight through muffler to hurt anything.I honestly don't have all the facts about the design of flows creating a loss in low end torque.
I know there is a ton of info on here about the flows creating a loss in low end and a ton of people who have also had the same prob.Do a few searches,i remember finding one by Troyer explaining it well one time.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:58 PM
laxwarrior i think what he means by bottlenose is that the pipes inlet is bigger than the outlets.I don't know how much of a diff it will make.Usually you would have a smaller inlet than the outlets.Can you take a pic of your exhaust underneath??It's been so long i can't even remember what the stock exhaust size was on our trucks??

Old 08-13-2007, 09:11 PM
Mine is a 3" in and a 2.5" out

Old 08-13-2007, 11:55 PM
my digital camera just broke....sorry.. the flowmaster have a 3 inch inlet 2.5 inch outlet but i can see that the pipes are not that big and the person who put it in had to do some fabrication to make it fit

Old 08-14-2007, 04:42 AM
I think it is 2" or 2.25". Since you do not want to change your piping, i'd just get the muffler that's the same size piping you have now. If you can, get under your truck and see what the diameter is. Make sure you check where nothing has been modified in the front and rear of the muffler.

Last edited by 2005 FX4 in Ca.; 08-14-2007 at 04:46 AM.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by 2005 FX4 in Ca.
i'd just get the muffler that's the same size piping you have now. If you can, get under your truck and see what the diameter is. Make sure you check where nothing has been modified in the front and rear of the muffler.
X2,cheack for adapters.I would just bolt on the one you originally posted and go with that.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:09 PM
I swapped out my Flowmaster super 40's for Maggie 14" and I can almost swear that the maggie is almost a little louder which is weird because everyone says that flows are louder? My Girlfriend even commented on how she thought it was louder...

Old 08-14-2007, 09:43 PM
Hey Kevin. Did cut off any cats to do your true duals?

Old 08-14-2007, 10:54 PM
you might want to try a few muffler shops around you, because i got mine for $400 installed.
they bent their own pipes, which is cheaper than purchasing them with the kit

Old 08-15-2007, 03:41 AM
I honestly agree with mgp32 about the maggies being louder than the flow 40's.I could tell it was louder as soon as i put them on.
What was wierd was the X-Pipe made it considerably more quiet!!!It was louder before adding the X-Pipe with true duels.It does sound alot cleaner with the X-Pipe now.

Brads984x4,I still have all of my cat's right now.I just cut the factory Y-Pipe to make true duels.I have kinda been dabating wheather to cut the rears or get 2 high flows in place of the 4 I just don't want to get pulled over all the time for loud exh so i am leaving it for now!!You want loud right???Cut your back 2 cats or get high flows instead of your oe 4.You will most likely loose alot of torque if you cut them all off.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:00 AM
My 14 " mag SIDO is definitely not loud. I was thinking about drilling a hole in it and removing some of the packing to make it loud. The sound is good though, just not loud enough.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by corinthfireman4
My 14 " mag SIDO is definitely not loud. I was thinking about drilling a hole in it and removing some of the packing to make it loud. The sound is good though, just not loud enough.
Do you get any drone/resonance inside the cab with your 14" magnaflow? What size is your motor?

Quick Reply: need replacement magnaflow muffler...help