need replacement magnaflow muffler...help

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007 | 12:23 AM
|
Exclamation need replacement magnaflow muffler...help

hey guys i think im finally going to give up on my flowmaster 40 muffler. Im not sure if i can just cut out the flowmaster muffler and put in the magnaflow muffler but im hoping thats possible. I had flowmaster 40's and really liked the sound, so my question is what magnaflow muffler should i go with that has similar sound but not the power robbing qualities of flowmaster. A link to a cheap site would be awesome. Thanks guys!!!

Old 08-12-2007 | 03:14 AM
Lightbulb This May Help...

Originally Posted by laxwarrior013
hey guys i think im finally going to give up on my flowmaster 40 muffler. Im not sure if i can just cut out the flowmaster muffler and put in the magnaflow muffler but im hoping thats possible. I had flowmaster 40's and really liked the sound, so my question is what magnaflow muffler should i go with that has similar sound but not the power robbing qualities of flowmaster. A link to a cheap site would be awesome. Thanks guys!!!

I am sure that you will be able to put the Maggie on but I do not think that you can get a Maggie to sound like a Flowmaster. But, the smaller the muffler the louder it will get. I have an 18" on mine and I love the sound!! I guess you can go with the 14". This is the one I have http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=631
You may want something like this http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=629 or http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=601 or even http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=577
Well, I hoped that helped alittle...

As far as cheap you can try these links:

www.hottexhaust.com -

fordtruck8

jetta

instreb05

www.performancepeddler.com

fordf150.net

ebay2e

NOTE THESE ARE THE COUPON CODES FROM LAST YEAR. I DO NOT KNOW IF THEY WILL STILL WORK.

Last edited by 2005 FX4 in Ca.; 08-12-2007 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-12-2007 | 07:35 AM
|
Exclamation

1. whats the best way to accurately determine the size of my inlet and outlet tube diameters. Because all i want is a new muffler not all new pipes.
2. will i get the same type of performance regardless of the length of muffler i choose? or is it different depending on the size i get?
3.does anyone know what size will get me closest to the flowmaster 40 sound?

thanks again

Last edited by laxwarrior013; 08-12-2007 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-12-2007 | 08:56 AM
1. whats the best way to accurately determine the size of my inlet and outlet tube diameters. Because all i want is a new muffler not all new pipes.
2. will i get the same type of performance regardless of the length of muffler i choose? or is it different depending on the size i get?
3.does anyone know what size will get me closest to the flowmaster 40 sound?

thanks again
If you can read the part # off the flowmaster you could just look it up and that would tell you.As far as i know you will get the same performance,the length of the muffler will just determine how loud.If i was you i would get the smallest length you can find.The 14inch case magnaflow.That will get you the closest,it will not be quite as loud as the 40 series but will sound better IMO.I used to have 40's myself
What is your exhaust now?? si/so di/do si/do

Cheapest place i have found for mufflers
www.performancepeddler.com

here is what a 14inch SI/SO looks like

Last edited by Kevin24; 08-12-2007 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-12-2007 | 09:04 AM
|
Exclamation

My exhaust is SI/DO...I Love the sound that i get with the 40s but i feel like i may have lost some power when i went from stock exhaust to the 40's.. I have been told a few times that switching to magnaflow is the way to go. I dont like the sound as much but if i can gain a few ponies back and increase gas mileage and stop getting robbed then its worth it. But do you thikn that just swapping out the mufflers will solve that? i mean i dont need all new pipes do i?

Old 08-12-2007 | 09:13 AM
No you don't need all new pipes.what you have should be fine.
I dunno some say that you don't loose anything with a catback exhaust and others do with the flowmaster.
I used to have true duels with flowmaster 40 series and after i had this done i felt a big loss in low end power.I switched it around to the magnaflows and my truck has more power now than it ever has and i think it soundss better too.You also need to make sure that you get basically the same length muffler and the center is the same or you will be having to re do the pipes to make it work.

Old 08-12-2007 | 09:21 AM
|
good. so you too noticed a gain back in power when you went from the 40's to a maggie? the only trouble im having is that the dual outlet on the 40's the center of the pipes are like 5 inches apart. But in all the maggies im finding that are the right length the dual outlets are only 4 inches apart....im not sure if this is too much or not. what do u think?

Old 08-12-2007 | 09:36 AM
good. so you too noticed a gain back in power when you went from the 40's to a maggie? the only trouble im having is that the dual outlet on the 40's the center of the pipes are like 5 inches apart. But in all the maggies im finding that are the right length the dual outlets are only 4 inches apart....im not sure if this is too much or not. what do u think?
Ya big difference in low end power So they are about 1 inch different.You could prob make it work but it might make your tail pipes not perfectly straight.I guess you could always have a short piece of pipe made to adapt to the new muffler.Should not cost much.
Remember the case length is not the measurement for length,like mine is a 14in case but the total length is like 20in....you prob already know but just making sure.

Old 08-12-2007 | 10:06 AM
|
Exclamation

Ok so heres what i got it down to. Im looking at the magnaflow 14 inch. Which is an overall of 20 inches. with the 3 inch inlet 2.5 dual outlets. That to replace my 19inch total flowmaster muffler which is 3 inch inlet 2.5 inch outlet. Basically im looking to replace this

http://www.cardomain.com/item/FLO430402

with this

http://www.magnaflow.org/index.asp?P...OD&ProdID=4139

what do you think? should all work right??

Old 08-12-2007 | 03:41 PM
Ya it looks like it should work.The only thing i am wonering is if you will be able to get your current muffler off without cutting??I guess if you had to you could just get a short length of pipe to add to the inlet part of your system.The other thing is i don't know just how much it would twist your tailpipes with it being 1 inch dif outlet spacing,i would think minimal.Another thing you could do is loosen your hangers or re mount too accept the narrower outlet spacing

Old 08-12-2007 | 11:02 PM
Old 08-12-2007 | 11:09 PM
|
Whats the main difference between that and the ones i had picked? am i missing something?

Last edited by laxwarrior013; 08-12-2007 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-13-2007 | 12:56 AM
You will get no where near the sound from the Magnaflow that you have with the Flowmaster. I went from the Flowmaster 50 series to the 14" Magnaflow and the Flowmaster I think was louder.

Old 08-13-2007 | 08:38 AM
Whats the main difference between that and the ones i had picked? am i missing something?
Yeah mybad. I mssed that you had picked what you are looking for. The only thing I see that might be wrong is the stock piping. I think it's 2" or 2.25 " in diameter. I guess they can just weld it to fit. I believe that you'll have a bottle nose effect. That's why I put the mufflers with 2" or 2.25". If you look at this one http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=407 it's the smallest one I think.

Old 08-13-2007 | 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by Andy-jr.
You will get no where near the sound from the Magnaflow that you have with the Flowmaster. I went from the Flowmaster 50 series to the 14" Magnaflow and the Flowmaster I think was louder.
Andy,
Why did you switch from the Flowmaster to the Magnaflow?

Quick Reply: need replacement magnaflow muffler...help