Illinois Aftermarket Exhaust Law

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007 | 01:17 AM
Yeah, laws don't really matter. Any company that advertises their product as legal must make it so.

Old 08-28-2007 | 02:07 AM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by Wild Bill
Yeah, laws don't really matter. Any company that advertises their product as legal must make it so.
You're correct.

Old 08-28-2007 | 02:58 AM
Originally Posted by Stealth
You're correct.
Makes complete sense. Any company that advertises their exhaust kits as "street legal" in all states installs their exhaust on every vehicle ever made and (in the case of Illinois) takes decibel readings, compares them to noise levels with the vehicle's original mufflers (even if its a 30 year old vehicle without the original muffler), just to ensure it is within Illinois laws and they also do additional tests for the laws of every other state, whatever they may be.

Yeah, sure, ok.

Old 08-28-2007 | 01:04 PM
Truck of the Month
Makes complete sense. Any company that advertises their exhaust kits as "street legal" in all states installs their exhaust on every vehicle ever made and (in the case of Illinois) takes decibel readings, compares them to noise levels with the vehicle's original mufflers (even if its a 30 year old vehicle without the original muffler), just to ensure it is within Illinois laws and they also do additional tests for the laws of every other state, whatever they may be.

Yeah, sure, ok.
The term street legal really does mean a lot.

Question. So why isn't Illinois going after any aftermarket auto part manufacturer that puts the stamp of "street legal" on their exhausts, mufflers, etc. for false advertisement? It seems as if that's where the money is instead of pestering it's taxpaying citizens.

I'll tell you why. They can't because it would be a frivolous lawsuit.

Old 08-28-2007 | 05:37 PM
The term street legal really does mean a lot.

Question. So why isn't Illinois going after any aftermarket auto part manufacturer that puts the stamp of "street legal" on their exhausts, mufflers, etc. for false advertisement? It seems as if that's where the money is instead of pestering it's taxpaying citizens.

I'll tell you why. They can't because it would be a frivolous lawsuit.
Not quite. It's because exhaust equipment that states it is, "Legal in all 50 states," refers to smog, not noise. That's why. Another person already mentioned this.

You can find the excerpt here: http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html

Old 08-28-2007 | 06:55 PM
Truck of the Month
Not quite. It's because exhaust equipment that states it is, "Legal in all 50 states," refers to smog, not noise. That's why. Another person already mentioned this.

You can find the excerpt here: http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html
The Roush street legal catback doesn't affect smog regulations. It is street legal in terms of sound. I mentioned that.

Last edited by Stealth; 08-28-2007 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-28-2007 | 08:52 PM
The Roush street legal catback doesn't affect smog regulations. It is street legal in terms of sound. I mentioned that.
Of course a catback doesn't affect smog regulations. Smog regulations are already set and to be "street legal" they have to be within those existing regulations. If you read through the website I posted it explains that, just as it explains that "street legal" does not mean "noise legal."

You can keep saying that it means legal in regards to sound and you can keep believing that it means legal in regards to sound, but it doesn't make it so.

Old 08-28-2007 | 08:57 PM
Truck of the Month
Uncle.

Old 08-29-2007 | 12:04 AM
So, what do i do when my 1932 ford coupe, that i pulled out of a barn that was sitting there for 20 years, has the exhaust rotted off?

"Yes, local Ford dealership, I need a complete cat back stock exhaust for my 1932 Ford 3 window Coupe"

"....(pause)....(pause).....(break out hysterical laughing and mention the nearest speed shop for aftermarket stuff)

So, how does that work for the old old stuff, do they have a special rule for them, if they have a special rule for them, then they should have a special rule for my 1962 mustang, have you priced out orginal exhaust for them lately?

So, if I was, driving in Illonois one day, just randomly, and a cop pulls me over, tells me that driving a 1932 ford coupe with aftermarket exhaust, and it needs orginal put back on it, is he footin the bill?

Old 08-29-2007 | 12:52 AM
Truck of the Month
Wild Bill?

Old 08-29-2007 | 07:11 AM
Uncle.
Man you give up easily

Get with your politician buddy & improve your debating skills.

A Q: why don't both of you just ask a local law enforcement person what the delio is?

I plan on doing the same; I swear I'm in the fart can capital of the world

bubba

Old 08-29-2007 | 12:20 PM
Truck of the Month

I just didn't want him to look bad anymore.

Like I said before, I live in the great state of Texas, so if I ask here they'll laugh at me because that law is the most retarded thing they'd probably ever have heard, and besides, I don't need to drive to Illinois because they'll lock me up for my magnaflow!

Fart capitol? One word: Beano.

Old 08-29-2007 | 01:09 PM
Yet another reason why I hate Illinois.

Old 08-29-2007 | 02:52 PM

I just didn't want him to look bad anymore.

Like I said before, I live in the great state of Texas, so if I ask here they'll laugh at me because that law is the most retarded thing they'd probably ever have heard, and besides, I don't need to drive to Illinois because they'll lock me up for my magnaflow!

LOL, yeah, right Enjoy The Drive

Old 08-29-2007 | 03:31 PM
Truck of the Month
LOL, yeah, right Enjoy The Drive
I read it already. Like I said before, I'll (or anyone else in the country) put a Roush Street Legal kit on and I'll be just fine anywhere I drive in the US of A.

Quick Reply: Illinois Aftermarket Exhaust Law