Illinois Aftermarket Exhaust Law

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007 | 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
I read it already. Like I said before, I'll (or anyone else in the country) put a Roush Street Legal kit on and I'll be just fine anywhere I drive in the US of A.
Yeah, you'll be just fine until you drive through Illinois and get pulled over and ticketed if it's louder than your stock exhaust.

Old 08-29-2007 | 09:06 PM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by Wild Bill
Yeah, you'll be just fine until you drive through Illinois and get pulled over and ticketed if it's louder than your stock exhaust.
Yeah, Or I'll be just fine until I drive through Illinois and not get pulled over and ticketed because it's not louder than my stock exhaust. Funny how that law works.

Old 08-29-2007 | 10:44 PM
Yeah, Or I'll be just fine until I drive through Illinois and not get pulled over and ticketed because it's not louder than my stock exhaust. Funny how that law works.
Oh, ok then. Did you do a before and after decibel reading at all RPM ranges? What were they? And even IF yours is no louder than stock it doesn't mean your blanket statement of "The Roush legal kit is just that, legal, no matter what f150 it's for." has any merit, unless you did a before & after test on all F-150s, you have no way of knowing. Funny how that works

Old 08-29-2007 | 11:19 PM
Truck of the Month
Oh, ok then. Did you do a before and after decibel reading at all RPM ranges? What were they? And even IF yours is no louder than stock it doesn't mean your blanket statement of "The Roush legal kit is just that, legal, no matter what f150 it's for." has any merit, unless you did a before & after test on all F-150s, you have no way of knowing. Funny how that works
The Illinois law does not specify anything about decibel readings through all RPM ranges. If it's legal, it's legal. If it's not, it's not. No grey area in the law. The kit is fine.

625 ILCS 5/12-602. Mufflers, prevention of noise

Sec. 12-602. Mufflers, prevention of noise. Every motor vehicle driven or operated upon the highways of this State shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler or exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise. No muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cut-out, bypass or similar device. No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all the requirements of this section.

Old 08-30-2007 | 12:40 AM
The Illinois law does not specify anything about decibel readings through all RPM ranges. If it's legal, it's legal. If it's not, it's not. No grey area in the law. The kit is fine.

Um, louder than stock = more decibels.

So if you haven't done a before & after decibel reading through the RPM ranges under which the vehicle operates, you really don't know!

Old 08-30-2007 | 01:03 AM
Truck of the Month
Um, louder than stock = more decibels.

So if you haven't done a before & after decibel reading through the RPM ranges under which the vehicle operates, you really don't know!
I don't want, nor do I need to know.

Old 08-30-2007 | 01:22 AM
Just to get to the bottom line here..

Is youse folks from Illinois saying that the policemans there spend their time doing anything OTHER than writing up loud exhuasts?

You can't tell me that the Chicagoland area alone isn't so full of fart-canned Civics, Geos, Neons, etc.., that must violate decibel ordinances that the police can do anything else.

Agreed it makes a handy excuse to pull anyone over but unless they're able to measure and record decibels at a reasonable distance while the vehicle is being operated (for instance I don't think pulling someone over and then demanding that they rev the engine while parked in order to be measured would be considered reasonable), then how would this stand up in court?

Have there been convictions under this law? Does no one fight it in court?

It's always easier and cheaper to just pay the fine of course, but does no one contest this?

Hey, Arkansas has a law that says little toddlers can get married.

Doesn't make it right.

And above all, I'm just throwin' out drunken BS here!

Old 08-30-2007 | 02:17 AM
Truck of the Month
Better than the sober BS.

Old 08-30-2007 | 02:54 AM
TexEdition,

I agree it's a B.S. law and the police can selectively use it as a reason to pull people over who have modified exhaust, but that's just the way it is here in Illinois.

Maybe you can have a few beers with that other guy from Texas and explain it to him

Old 08-30-2007 | 02:22 PM
Truck of the Month
TexEdition,

I agree it's a B.S. law and the police can selectively use it as a reason to pull people over who have modified exhaust, but that's just the way it is here in Illinois.

Maybe you can have a few beers with that other guy from Texas and explain it to him
I understand the silly law. I also know this conversation has been fun, and I say that without sarcasm.

It's a shame when an officer of the peace has to enforce some law that is a politician's personal agenda against something he or she deems a menace to society.

What's next? Baggy pants ordinances?

Old 08-30-2007 | 04:00 PM
I understand the silly law. I also know this conversation has been fun, and I say that without sarcasm.

It's a shame when an officer of the peace has to enforce some law that is a politician's personal agenda against something he or she deems a menace to society.

What's next? Baggy pants ordinances?
Ditto.

Old 08-30-2007 | 04:20 PM
Truck of the Month
Ditto.
Agreed.

Quick Reply: Illinois Aftermarket Exhaust Law