Intake Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007 | 06:29 PM
|
Okay I agree with that. I'll take it off as soon as it quits raining around here and put the stock back on. I should have listened to my friends when they said not to get that darn thing. I guess that's what I get for trying to be cheap. I've learned my leason, no more wasting money on ebay.

Last edited by 1997BigRed; 09-10-2007 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-10-2007 | 11:30 PM
Hey 05supercrew,
how is that S&B treating you? Are you still satisfied with it, any issues at all?
I'm looking at getting one for my 05'SCAB.

Later...

Old 09-11-2007 | 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by bshipley78
Hey 05supercrew,
how is that S&B treating you? Are you still satisfied with it, any issues at all?
I'm looking at getting one for my 05'SCAB.

Later...
Love it, cant complain at all. Makes a bike difference.

Old 09-12-2007 | 11:04 AM
I had the same issues with K&N..

You know you cannot always trust the big brands either. I had tried to install the K&N Aircharger 63-2556. With it installed it wouldn't even stay started longer than 30 seconds. Lean condition for sure, as if I used a towel over the filter it would stay started for about 1 minute.

Looking to sell the thing now, as I wasted $260 bucks on it. Maybe because I have a Mark LT, but I doubt it.

Originally Posted by 05supercrew
Absolutly get rid of the e-bay cai. There have been a few people on here that had a problem with there ebay cai causing stalling problems and killing hp. The reputable cai cost more but they have been bench tested.

Old 09-13-2007 | 12:27 AM
Originally Posted by RyansLT
You know you cannot always trust the big brands either. I had tried to install the K&N Aircharger 63-2556. With it installed it wouldn't even stay started longer than 30 seconds. Lean condition for sure, as if I used a towel over the filter it would stay started for about 1 minute.

Looking to sell the thing now, as I wasted $260 bucks on it. Maybe because I have a Mark LT, but I doubt it.
You may have had a loose connection, hose clamp, or something; though I have heard of the K&N’s being more prone to running rich, that is why I have veered away from K&N intakes. The drop-in's are good I have always had a K&N drop-in.

Old 09-14-2007 | 09:46 PM
before you rip it off.....

Consider this.... not all vehicles are capable of running a cheap ebay CAI. My 2001 Ford happens to be one that does not like it. It must be a true cold air intake. If you have installed a cheap E-bay CAI and it draws its air from the engine compartment... it is actually a hot air intake. when you draw in hot air from the compartment you risk running an extremely rich mixture. To keep this simple... ambient air has a size of say 10 (just a number to express volume) when you cool it down you can now place more air in the same space as you could before. this allows more oxygen content to enter the firing chamber thus allow more fuel for more power. On the flip side if you heat that same air it expands therefore allowing for a smaller quantity to be drawn with less oxygen so fuel does not burn as well and you get a rich code. This is why the ford 5.4 and 4.6 use an air box through the drivers side fender to get cold air. I do run a cheap E-bay CAI and simply hollowed out my old air box and placed my cold air intake inside the box to ensure I am getting a supply of cold air.

Old 09-14-2007 | 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by wizzy789887
Consider this.... not all vehicles are capable of running a cheap ebay CAI. My 2001 Ford happens to be one that does not like it. It must be a true cold air intake. If you have installed a cheap E-bay CAI and it draws its air from the engine compartment... it is actually a hot air intake. when you draw in hot air from the compartment you risk running an extremely rich mixture. To keep this simple... ambient air has a size of say 10 (just a number to express volume) when you cool it down you can now place more air in the same space as you could before. this allows more oxygen content to enter the firing chamber thus allow more fuel for more power. On the flip side if you heat that same air it expands therefore allowing for a smaller quantity to be drawn with less oxygen so fuel does not burn as well and you get a rich code. This is why the ford 5.4 and 4.6 use an air box through the drivers side fender to get cold air. I do run a cheap E-bay CAI and simply hollowed out my old air box and placed my cold air intake inside the box to ensure I am getting a supply of cold air.
Buddy - sorry to poke holes in your logic, but you haven't taken into account several things:

> The MAF. It's just what the name implies ... : Mass AirFlow sensor.

> Intake tract also has an IAT - Inlet Air Temp sensor

> The two above allow to PCM to accurately meter fuel REGARDLESS of the air temperature. In other words, it can adjust for changes in DENSITY.

> Underhood temps AT SPEED are within a few degrees of ambient; not really enough of a difference to matter much.

> At rest, ALL intakes will experience heat soak and cause the temps to rise, some moreso than others.

> You will NOT get rich codes - if anything you'll get LEAN codes due to the intake's effect on the MAF Transfer function. Unmetered air due to leaks can also cause lean codes. And sometimes, you can be lean and NO codes are set.

The stock intake is designed the way it is primarily to keep the intake system QUIET.

You need to bone up on your facts. Searching this site can help ya do that.

Last edited by MGDfan; 09-14-2007 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-15-2007 | 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by TexEdition
What size and brand of intake are you using?

The first thing I'd check is to make sure that your MAF sensor is oriented the same as it was on the stock intake. If it's not it'll cause problems like yours. And just check the MAF wiring to make sure nothing has come loose and that the sensor is securely plugged in.

Please explain the maf orientation concept? Mine has been clocked 90* for at least two years without a problem.

Old 09-15-2007 | 01:21 AM
Originally Posted by ONELOWF
Please explain the maf orientation concept? Mine has been clocked 90* for at least two years without a problem.
Some have posted on here having issues such as bogging, rough idle, low idle, etc. after installing an aftermarket intake. Several said they just installed the MAF in whatever orientation seemed to "fit" or "look" better..

After moving the MAF sensor to the same orientation as on the stock intake the problems went away (generally speaking).

It makes a difference with the '04 + engines, I'm not knowlegable enough to tell ya why.. Maybe MGD, jbrew or Quintin can chime in with the specifics..

Old 09-15-2007 | 02:35 AM
Tex - I have heard this before, but not heard an explanation.

Old 09-15-2007 | 02:52 AM
Originally Posted by ONELOWF
Tex - I have heard this before, but not heard an explanation.
My understanding, and I may be wrong, is that the signals from the MAF to the ECM are written such that the turbulence, or specific airflow, that the MAF detects needs to match what the ECM "expects", within the parameters, and that changing the orientation of the MAF sensor has an effect on those readings.

Again, I'd hope the guys with a better understanding will comment on this..

Believe me ONELOWF, I'm about half done on Maker's Mark right about now.. I'm just slingin' the best BS I can come up with.. kinda sounds plausible tho don't it??.. LOL

Old 09-16-2007 | 06:54 AM
i bought one of those cheap 70$ kits of ebay. ive had no problems.just had to fab up a bracket so it was supported a little better.gas mileage seems fine around 15 mpg city/highway on a 4.6 isnt bad, although i did do plugs,wires, coil packs etc... if anything it sounds nice when i step on it.

Old 09-16-2007 | 09:06 PM
|
Well I took the ebay cai off today and put the stock back on. One thing I'm really going to miss about it though is my mileage was up to 18 mpg.

Quick Reply: Intake Problem?