Intake Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007 | 12:07 PM
|
Intake Problem?

About three weeks ago I put an air intake system on my truck. Everything was fine until yesterday. I noticed whenever I came to a stop, the RPM would drop down very low and like the truck was going to die. When I pulled into my driveway last night the RPM dropped low again and it turned off. What is going on here? I talked to a guy at the shop this morning and he said it may be because I do not have a muffler on my truck and it is "breathing too easy". So should I put a muffler on? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-08-2007 | 12:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I had the same thing happen to me before, turns out it was loose hose clamp on the intake boot where it goes on the throttle body and the boot popped off allowing the engine to suck in unmetered air.

Old 09-08-2007 | 04:12 PM
|
That was the first think I checked. And they are all tight. Thanks for your help though.

Old 09-08-2007 | 07:31 PM
Sounds to me it might be running lean...Too much air...I would put the stock one back on and see what happens....Did you disconnect the Battery, and let the computer reset?

Old 09-09-2007 | 12:29 AM
|
Yes I did disconnect the battery. But a couple days ago I unhooked my battery so I could work on my stereo. Is it possible that the computer is just resetting itself again?

Old 09-09-2007 | 03:48 PM
What size and brand of intake are you using?

The first thing I'd check is to make sure that your MAF sensor is oriented the same as it was on the stock intake. If it's not it'll cause problems like yours. And just check the MAF wiring to make sure nothing has come loose and that the sensor is securely plugged in.

Old 09-09-2007 | 06:50 PM
|
Well there isn't really a brand, i got it off ebay. I'm positive the MAF is turned the right way and I just checked the wiring and everything is alright. Does anyone know that if because I do not have a muffler is causing this? The cats are still on there so there should be enough backpressure.

Old 09-09-2007 | 07:36 PM
its not because you dont have a muffler. there are plenty of ppl on here with cai's and no muffler. i would check you maf, and make sure all your hoses are hook up. also check you iac.

Old 09-09-2007 | 07:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

you have a vacuum leak my friend. Go check out your pcv valve and elbow.

Old 09-09-2007 | 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by 1997BigRed
Well there isn't really a brand, i got it off ebay. I'm positive the MAF is turned the right way and I just checked the wiring and everything is alright. Does anyone know that if because I do not have a muffler is causing this? The cats are still on there so there should be enough backpressure.
"Isn't really a brand.."

Is this someones homemade intake kit? If so, remove it immediately and chalk it up to experience.

If it's a reputable brand and as you say the MAF and wiring is all ok, then yeah, you have a vaccum leak. Not too hard to check for or fix.

Old 09-09-2007 | 11:57 PM
|
It's not something someone made in their garage but it is definatly not a reputable brand. But if you look on ebay for cai there is a bunch of them. I checked my two vacuum hoses and they are hooked up and the clamps are tight. Is there somewhere else a vavcuum leak could be coming from besides those hoses?

Old 09-10-2007 | 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by 1997BigRed
It's not something someone made in their garage but it is definatly not a reputable brand. But if you look on ebay for cai there is a bunch of them. I checked my two vacuum hoses and they are hooked up and the clamps are tight. Is there somewhere else a vavcuum leak could be coming from besides those hoses?
Well, I guess all I can say is, once again, take it off..

If it's not AF1, Volant, S&B, K&N, Banks, etc..., there are others.. then it is fabbed up in somones garage.. Is that guy an engineer?

If it's not a "reputable brand" then you've answered your own question..

Remove it and put your stock intake back on, you may be harming your engine with that thing.

There are plenty of reputable intakes available used..

Old 09-10-2007 | 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by TexEdition
Well, I guess all I can say is, once again, take it off..

If it's not AF1, Volant, S&B, K&N, Banks, etc..., there are others.. then it is fabbed up in somones garage.. Is that guy an engineer?

If it's not a "reputable brand" then you've answered your own question..

Remove it and put your stock intake back on, you may be harming your engine with that thing.

There are plenty of reputable intakes available used..

x1

Old 09-10-2007 | 05:32 AM
Get rid of it!!

X's 3

If you don't the money you saved isn't going to be enough to fix or replace
what could be harmed by that thing.

Get a reputable brand intake.

Old 09-10-2007 | 08:38 AM
Absolutly get rid of the e-bay cai. There have been a few people on here that had a problem with there ebay cai causing stalling problems and killing hp. The reputable cai cost more but they have been bench tested.

Quick Reply: Intake Problem?