Best no-tune intakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007 | 07:51 PM
|
Best no-tune intakes

What is the best no-tune CAI for an 07 FX4 5.4? I already know that there are minimal gains... I already had a JLT/SCT/Bama set-up on my Stang. It appears that the F150 is not as sensitive as the 4.6 in the Mustang. I read that Airraid/Roush, Airraid Jr., AF1(3"), Volant, and maybe Outlaw do not require a tune. Any truth? AGAIN, I know that a tune is preferred... I'm just looking for a set-up that will not run dangerously lean. I'll ultimately probably end up going with the JLT/SCT set-up anyway. Just seeking some advice. Thanks

Old 09-20-2007 | 08:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

the Airraid and 3" AF1 have the best raw power gains without producing a lean condition (therefor requiring tuning).

Old 09-21-2007 | 02:33 AM
Do you want an intake that has an exposed filter or one that has an enclosed filter?

The popular "enclosed" filter intake (with NeverOil synthetic filter) is the Outlaw Power intake here: http://www.outlawpower.com/productdetail.php?sc=1486 See that link for the dyno chart and dyno video.

The popular "exposed" filter intake is this AF1: http://www.airforceoneperformance.co...expedition.php

Both above two intakes do not require a custom tune to work correctly.

Old 09-21-2007 | 03:19 AM
I have the 3" AF1 on my '05 4.6l.. It makes a noticeable difference in the throttle response and sound..

"My middle name is 'open element'.. Do I make ya dirty Baby?.. Do I?!.. yeahhhh baby.."

Old 09-21-2007 | 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
What is the best no-tune CAI for an 07 FX4 5.4? I already know that there are minimal gains... I already had a JLT/SCT/Bama set-up on my Stang. It appears that the F150 is not as sensitive as the 4.6 in the Mustang. I read that Airraid/Roush, Airraid Jr., AF1(3"), Volant, and maybe Outlaw do not require a tune. Any truth? AGAIN, I know that a tune is preferred... I'm just looking for a set-up that will not run dangerously lean. I'll ultimately probably end up going with the JLT/SCT set-up anyway. Just seeking some advice. Thanks
I have an S&B that I bought new and it sounded awesome and I could tell a difference in the seat of the pants performance, but for some reason my tuner caused it to make a moaning sound on acceleration. I know it was the tuner because I put the truck back to stock twice and the intake performed flawlessly. Steeltown give me a shout back at my email or call me at 816-390-2163.

Old 09-21-2007 | 08:38 AM
Hi.

Some info ...

Just an example of what's here for the searchin'...

S&B
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...07&postcount=3

volant
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=12

JLT - also AF1 dyno #'s in there too ... ( This one is long, but a good read lol)
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=291707

So FYI - all three need tune corrections. And the Volant & JLT perform rather poorly.

Old 09-21-2007 | 02:08 PM
Talking

my k&n didnt throw a lean condition on my 04

Old 09-21-2007 | 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by ONE04FX4
my k&n didnt throw a lean condition on my 04
Lucky ****

(No CEL does not mean it isn't happenin' ....)

What were your AF's with the VMP tunes?

Old 09-21-2007 | 05:46 PM
Talking

that is what i thought. the airaid gave me a cel. the k&n didnt.plus the k&n didnt vibrate like the airaid either. just got the vmp tunes. i have noticed that the exhaust tips are a tad bit black. i just ordered my new exhaust set up. flo pro dual in and out,imco x pipe,and magnaflow tips. if you are going to ask why flo pro--NO DRONE WHATSOEVER--. when i get the new exhaust on i am going to have them ut in a bung and then log her.and yes i do know that it doesnt mean it is running lean. but if it was then it wasnt enough for the light to come on. being an 04 and having it not come on was a blessing for three months till i got my new tunes.

Old 09-21-2007 | 06:08 PM
|
Thanks for the advice... as stated, I am a fan of the "tune", however, I think that I'm going to wait a little while. I made several attemps to contact Outlaw without success.

I think that I'm going to go with the Roush(I know, a re-badged Airaid), but I like the R O U S H stamped on it better than the A I R A I D. Plus I can get it for the same price...

If anyone has anything negative to say about the Roush/Airaid, please advise. Thanks again

Last edited by SteelTownStang; 09-22-2007 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-21-2007 | 08:00 PM
Can't speak for the Airaid but you mentioned going JLT in your first post which I strongly recommend NOT to do. Plus the short ram from JLT definitely requires a tune.

Old 09-21-2007 | 08:03 PM
Talking

as they will say yes your af ratio will be a little leaner. i had vibration problems as others have had with the airaid. not every truck is going to do the same thing. i think you will be fine with the roush intake. i think the s&b will be better. i lovemy k&n.

Old 09-22-2007 | 03:46 AM
I had a Fram Boost CAI on my 06 5.4 and I took it off and sent it back to them. It looked great under the hood, but it was very LOUD, and it was just way too exposed for my liking. I do some moderate off roading from time to time, and I need good protection.

I'm sorry that I don't have any good recommendations for you, but I just want you to know to stay away from Fram Boost.

Old 09-22-2007 | 04:25 AM
i love my jlt/bama setup.....getting a roush scoop and making it functional too so i can get some cold air to the filter

Old 09-22-2007 | 06:29 AM
ski
Originally Posted by azmidget91
i love my jlt/bama setup.....getting a roush scoop and making it functional too so i can get some cold air to the filter
I'm not certain on this, but if u do that, I think I read that it would throw your A/F ratio's off. With more air comming in through the scoop. Think about it, if you don't do a road test with an A/F gauge u won't know what kinda ratio u will have with all that air comming in and how would u get a tune for it. I don't think a dyno tune would do u any good, since the vehicle isn't moving and sucking in all that air. Just a thought. U might want to check into it before going through with it. Again I may be wrong and some of the expert could chime in. Just my thoughts.

Quick Reply: Best no-tune intakes