Airraid CAI any good ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007 | 02:07 PM
|
Airraid CAI any good ?

Just wondering if the Airraid CAI is any good, anyone had any trouble with them ? are they worth the money or is there something better ? Any improvement in power or milage ? Do you need a special tune for it ? HELP???

Old 09-22-2007 | 04:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

the Arraid is a great intake. it is one of two intakes that provide the largest raw power gains without requiring tuning. the AF1 3" is the other one. both are great choices if you dont plan on getting a custom tune.

Old 09-22-2007 | 07:28 PM
|
I have an SCT X-Cal2 that I'm having reprogrammed to work on my truck, I was just going to use the canned programs for now, maybe custom tunes down the road, what is the going price for the Airraid ? Local shop wants 295.00 for one, saw a used one for $225.00.

Old 09-23-2007 | 09:41 AM
Suspended
i have the airraid and i love it. i have maggie exhaust and the edge as well, but i could tell when i put the airraid on before i had the edge what a difference it was from stock. great product and i recommend it. it was an easy install as well.

Old 09-24-2007 | 02:13 PM
I've heard good things about the Outlat Performance Intake. It has a no-oil, washable filter. I'll be adding a CAI in the next 6 months, so I'm still doing my research.

Old 09-24-2007 | 04:35 PM
I've got the airaid also and its pretty good

Old 09-24-2007 | 05:42 PM
I just orderred the Roush(re-badge Airaid) CAI. I'll let you know shortly.

Old 09-24-2007 | 07:21 PM
|
Where did you order the Roush ?

Old 09-24-2007 | 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by UtahFX4
Where did you order the Roush ?

I went to: http://store.roushperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=777 and conducted a "Dealer Search". I purchased it from a local Ford Dealership for $285.00. Cheapest place that I found anywhere... It was/is actually cheaper than the Airaid. I know that the Airraid is one of two CAI's that will not throw a code, and more importantly, will not lean out... As mentioned, The Roush is the Airraid, but I like the Roush badging better. I also found it at: http://www.woodhousestore.com for $265.00, but with $30.00 S&H, plus tax, it was still cheaper to go to the local Ford Roush Dealership. I hope that this helps.

Old 09-25-2007 | 09:13 PM
i just put in a araid cold air and a helix power tower and im gettin some wicked power and awesome fuel economy!!!

Old 09-25-2007 | 11:59 PM
just my experiences with this intake, I have an airaid intake kit ( looks exactly same as the roush ) and ran it on the 05 and 06. Never threw a cel in either truck with it. The 05 had borla exhaust, 06 has magnaflows. When running stock tuning on both, as well as one on my bro's 05, with stock exhaust, during easy acceleration, it made an annoying drone at 1800 rpm on all of em. That's 3 trucks, all with 5.4's, same drone. Tuner with Troyer tunes got rid of drone on my two trucks, bro's Edge on lvl 3 did not. Have an AF1 w/ 3.5" intake now and no drone. Perhaps the stainless tubes versus the plastic does basically stop this. Could be real annoying when towing as that is basically crusing rpm's. It's back in the box now.

Old 09-26-2007 | 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by kdds05screw
just my experiences with this intake, I have an airaid intake kit ( looks exactly same as the roush ) and ran it on the 05 and 06. Never threw a cel in either truck with it. The 05 had borla exhaust, 06 has magnaflows. When running stock tuning on both, as well as one on my bro's 05, with stock exhaust, during easy acceleration, it made an annoying drone at 1800 rpm on all of em. That's 3 trucks, all with 5.4's, same drone. Tuner with Troyer tunes got rid of drone on my two trucks, bro's Edge on lvl 3 did not. Have an AF1 w/ 3.5" intake now and no drone. Perhaps the stainless tubes versus the plastic does basically stop this. Could be real annoying when towing as that is basically crusing rpm's. It's back in the box now.
If the tune from Troyer elimated the drone, then why is it back in the box?

Here is my assessment of the Roush/Airaid that I just installed on my 5.4 FX4-

Installation: very easy... took about 45 minutes. OEM-like fit and finish. Only modification neccessary was that I had to push the brake lines down a little. Everything else was easy by following the well written(w/photos) instructions.

Performance: There is definitely some gain, a tune would really help this set-up, but I wasn't looking for a tune right now. I'd say there is at least 10-15 hp gains, more importantly, it reduced the throttle lag.

Sound: Really have not noticed much of a change. My 14" muffler/dual Magnaflows must be drowning it out. Actually, it help the drone with my Magnaflows. The exhaust seems more "tuned". I have not heard any whistling, droning, etc., from under the hood. Just the swishing/sucking sound with the hood open.

Codes/Lean: None

Conclusion: IMO well worth the money. Looks good, sounds good, and feels good. My two months of research paid off. If you're looking for a good non-tune intake, this is definitely the route to go; with the option of adding a tune later.

Old 09-27-2007 | 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
If the tune from Troyer elimated the drone, then why is it back in the box?
Because at one of the dyno days I went to last year, I saw guys with the AF1 3.5" tube, producing on average of 10 more HP on dyno and maintaing peak HP well into the 5000 rpm range. One guy scrapped his Volant on the spot after viewing real dyno experiences. I'm not into doing performance mod's for looks and want every available safe HP for the $$. The AF1 costs the same and produced more power. That's what I observed, that is why the Airaid is back in the box.

Old 09-27-2007 | 06:19 PM
Good reason... I have had some experiences with tunes and intakes as I've had the "set-ups" on several other vehicles. To say that one CAI is "much" better than the others with regards to performance in definitely a misconception. Sure the quality will vary like everything else, but the amount of air going into the throttle body is similar yielding a nominal difference. A tune, from a reputable “tuner”, is the most important variable. Sure, Troyler is pushing the AF1, as he is a vender/distributor, and profits on mass sells... There is NOTHING wrong with it, except for the lack of partiality. Doug/BamaChips pushes JLT, Brent/Brenspeed pushes C&L, etc. All are quality tuners selling quality products with very similar results. My point is... if you put the AFI next to the Roush/Airaid, and both are tune properly, I guarantee the difference will be very minimal... definitely not worth putting a $300 CAI into a box for another $300 CAI. Nonetheless, it's cool either way. This topic is debated on countess forums for numerous vehicles. If you're happy, that's all that matters .

Last edited by SteelTownStang; 09-27-2007 at 06:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Airraid CAI any good ?