What's your Non-Biast opnion on Intakes???

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007 | 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by LaVaDog
That's exactly why I'm not going with the S&B. I am leaning towards the Roush.
The reason im getting a custom tune is because the Edge doesnt tune for any intake or exhaust. There tunes are for stock trucks only.

Old 10-15-2007 | 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
The reason im getting a custom tune is because the Edge doesnt tune for any intake or exhaust. There tunes are for stock trucks only.
I realize...the Edge is for stock trucks, I just don't want to gamble on....if I would get a check engine light with the S&B and I don't want to spend the money on a custom tune. That's why I am leaning towards the Roush. I read you won't get the check engine light. What are some other manufactures intakes that won't give me the check engine light without a custom tune.

Old 10-15-2007 | 10:25 PM
I realize...the Edge is for stock trucks, I just don't want to gamble on....if I would get a check engine light with the S&B and I don't want to spend the money on a custom tune. That's why I am leaning towards the Roush. I read you won't get the check engine light. What are some other manufactures intakes that won't give me the check engine light without a custom tune.
I think to be totally safe with your 3v engine the 3" AF1 is the way to go.. It will NOT cause you to run lean.

As far as Roush, I believe that all of their bolt-on mods are made by other companies and then "re-badged" as Roush. Roush exhausts are made by Borla for instance. Not sure who makes their cai's, but I can gaurantee there's no Roush factory turning them out.. lol

Lastly, any of these other intakes could in fact be causing you to run lean and never throw a CEL.. You'd have to have your A/F ratios measured to know for certain.

3" AF1.. you'll love the thing!!

Old 10-16-2007 | 01:57 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by TexEdition
Roush exhausts are made by Borla for instance. Not sure who makes their cai's,
airaid makes roush's intakes

Old 10-16-2007 | 08:29 AM
I never threw a cel and was running really lean. Just my opinion if a cai flows more then stock you run the chance of running lean. And if it doesnt flow more air why get it. The best thing to do is get your set up and do a dyno run to see were your a/f is at and you also get to see what your hp/tq is at.

Old 10-16-2007 | 08:35 AM
I think to be totally safe with your 3v engine the 3" AF1 is the way to go.. It will NOT cause you to run lean.

As far as Roush, I believe that all of their bolt-on mods are made by other companies and then "re-badged" as Roush. Roush exhausts are made by Borla for instance. Not sure who makes their cai's, but I can gaurantee there's no Roush factory turning them out.. lol

Lastly, any of these other intakes could in fact be causing you to run lean and never throw a CEL.. You'd have to have your A/F ratios measured to know for certain.

3" AF1.. you'll love the thing!!

when I went to look at the AF1 on their web page....it shows the 3" isn't for the 5.4.

Old 10-16-2007 | 08:37 AM
:
I have one question, if your running lean from the factory how will the 3'' AF1 be safe? Im not an engine builder or tuner but if your running lean and add more air your just going to run more lean. I may be wrong but thats my thoughts.

Old 10-16-2007 | 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
I have one question, if your running lean from the factory how will the 3'' AF1 be safe? Im not an engine builder or tuner but if your running lean and add more air your just going to run more lean. I may be wrong but thats my thoughts.
My understanding is that the new engines run on the lean side of what's safe, not actually "lean", and that certain intakes will do exactly as you say.. tend to push it over the limit of what the pcm can adjust to.

Running on the rich side just wastes fuel under most conditions, so I guess that's why Ford programs 'em on the edge of lean.

Hopefully jbrew, quintin or MGD will jump in and correct me, 'cause I probably have it all wrong.. LOL

Old 10-17-2007 | 12:37 AM
Who cares they all suck! AAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA! SO lame I know.

Old 10-17-2007 | 08:28 AM
My understanding is that the new engines run on the lean side of what's safe, not actually "lean", and that certain intakes will do exactly as you say.. tend to push it over the limit of what the pcm can adjust to.

Running on the rich side just wastes fuel under most conditions, so I guess that's why Ford programs 'em on the edge of lean.

Hopefully jbrew, quintin or MGD will jump in and correct me, 'cause I probably have it all wrong.. LOL

I agree that they run on the lean side but not lean. My 01 GT Mustang was like that. But if a cai flows more air it will put it in the danger zone. And if it isnt pushing that much air what is the sense of buying it. I just want to play it safe, I take a 15 hrs road trip one way every year with my wife and kids and the last thing I want to do is melt a piston. I will ask Mike Troyer when it gets close to getting my tunes.

Old 10-19-2007 | 12:22 AM
I have an 04 and have had my s&b on for about 20,000 miles with no problems what so ever.

Old 10-19-2007 | 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by jrussell63670
I have an 04 and have had my s&b on for about 20,000 miles with no problems what so ever.
And you have checked you A:F ratio tho make sure your not lean?

Old 10-19-2007 | 08:01 PM
I've always been a Volant man but a neighbor recommended I try S&B on this truck.

No regrets whatsoever.

Originally Posted by Gotts2BMe
airaid makes roush's intakes
Correct.

Exact same thing with a differing badge.

Old 10-19-2007 | 10:57 PM
best is K&N w/ throttle body relocation. hands down. If you disagree, you havent owned all 4 like me.

Old 10-20-2007 | 12:56 AM
Originally Posted by 1QuickF150
best is K&N w/ throttle body relocation. hands down. If you disagree, you havent owned all 4 like me.
TB relocation?

What is the meaning of this? New intake manifold?

Quick Reply: What's your Non-Biast opnion on Intakes???