What's your Non-Biast opnion on Intakes???

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007 | 04:03 PM
|
What's your Non-Biast opnion on Intakes???

I've got a 2002 F150 4x4 w/ the 5.4L V8. So far, I've got a cat-back Bassani Exhaust, and an Edge Evolution programmer (don't be hatin').

Now I'm looking at intakes and I'm kinda stuck. I can't decide if I want an oiled filter set up because I don't want to be cleaning my throttle body every 5,000 miles. I'm looking at all the options for my 4x4 and need some help. What do you HONESTLY think???

AEM Brute Force
K&N FIPK
AF1 (From Troyer)
Stay Stock
Other options???

Is there really that much of a difference? I'm looking for some advice if you coul help me out . THANKS GENTLEMEN.

Last edited by ftlbs; 10-11-2007 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-11-2007 | 04:09 PM
I got the S&B and there was a noticable difference but I have a 05. I would definitly get another cai in another car/truck.

Old 10-11-2007 | 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by ftlbs
Now I'm looking at intakes and I'm kinda stuck. I can't decide if I want an oiled filter set up because I don't want to be cleaning my throttle body every 5,000 miles. I'm looking at all the options for my 4x4 and need some help. What do you HONESTLY think???
It's YOU that cleans and re-oils the filter. If you gum up your intake or screw up your MAF, it's YOUR fault, not the filter or oiling agent. If don't know how to properly clean and re-oil an air filter, then don't consider one.

Yes, there is a difference.

I have an AF1 and absolutely love it (oiled filter). I wouldn't want anything else.

Old 10-11-2007 | 05:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I've got a 2002 F150 4x4 w/ the 5.4L V8. So far, I've got a cat-back Bassani Exhaust, and an Edge Evolution programmer (don't be hatin').

AEM Brute Force
K&N FIPK
FA1 (From Troyer)
Stay Stock
Other options???

Is there really that much of a difference? I'm looking for some advice if you coul help me out . THANKS GENTLEMEN.
If you do my intake mods (The Gotts Intake) you can keep using paper filters in the stock housing

Old 10-11-2007 | 06:01 PM
ftlbs, there is definitely a difference in CAI's and tunes. I had a JLT short ram intake and some cheap tunes and while on a good night it would give power the package stunk for all around and especially on hot days plus it made funny sounds and was generally annoying. I went back to the stock intake and got grade A tunes and like that set up a lot but decided to get another high flow intake and tunes to match. So I got an AF1 and though I've only had it a few days I already like it a lot. It is almost not noticeable as far as noise in most normal driving which I really like however goose it a little and you know it's there as it gives a little bark. It makes a growl type noise which sounds nice when on heavy throttle. The only thing I did not like was the vacuum line nipple they provide was plastic and you have to be careful with that when installing but once it's threaded in it's fine. That really should be ss imo especially considering the rest of the thing is top end material. There are many intakes to choose from and it seems many are happy with S&B and Outlaw (non oiled) as well as Air Force One.

Old 10-11-2007 | 07:24 PM
|
thanks for the great reply BlackDawg. ...that's giving me some things to think about. What is the S&B intake? I'm not familiar with that.

Old 10-11-2007 | 08:01 PM
To me, they are basically all pretty much the same. The difference between one and another seems to only be a couple HP. Appearance, as well as enclosed or exposed seem to be the deciding factors.

But, a lot of people give the nod to the AF1 from Troyer.

Old 10-14-2007 | 08:33 PM
|
Well, i did it. I ordered my AF1 intake from Troyer. It should be here by October 19th. Thanks for your help everyone.

Old 10-14-2007 | 08:57 PM
great choice. you're gonna love it

Old 10-14-2007 | 10:01 PM
x2, you're gonna love the AF1!!

As far as cleaning and re-oiling the filter the recommended interval is 50k miles.. I took mine off and re-installed the stock intake for state inspection (no idea if it was necessary) and went ahead and cleaned & oiled the filter.. That was only with about 3k miles on the filter.. There was NO dust, gunk, dirt, anything nasty inside the intake tube or throttle body.

After I'd oiled the filter I packed it with paper towels for about 8 hrs. and then duct taped the filter to the shop vac and ran it on high for 15 minutes or so.. simulates drawing air through at WOT and removes any excess oil.. I wish I could remember the handle of the member here who came up with that idea because he deserves the credit!!.. and it works great

I think the AirForceOne site claims about a 15 - 18 hp increase, I can't testify to the numbers but IS noticeable... much better throttle response, nice sounds...

Old 10-15-2007 | 09:21 AM
thanks for the great reply BlackDawg. ...that's giving me some things to think about. What is the S&B intake? I'm not familiar with that.

This is the S&B and it works great.

Old 10-15-2007 | 01:16 PM
I had an AEM bruteforce on my 03 f150 fx4 and it made some nice perfermence gains and you dont have to worry about oiling it.

Old 10-15-2007 | 02:37 PM
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a CAI as well....this is what I have so far. I own a '04 5.4 and the '04 year was sensitive to registering a lean condition which in turn will give you the check engine light. I am running the EDGE EVO as well. I really wanted to go w/ the S&B intake but was told without a true tune, I can't run it, and was also told that with my year and set up...I could only run a few manufacture makes. Roush is one, AF1 in a 3 inch, and one more I think. Do I have this right? -Thanks in advance.

Old 10-15-2007 | 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by LaVaDog
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a CAI as well....this is what I have so far. I own a '04 5.4 and the '04 year was sensitive to registering a lean condition which in turn will give you the check engine light. I am running the EDGE EVO as well. I really wanted to go w/ the S&B intake but was told without a true tune, I can't run it, and was also told that with my year and set up...I could only run a few manufacture makes. Roush is one, AF1 in a 3 inch, and one more I think. Do I have this right? -Thanks in advance.
I ran lean with the S&B,Edge and Magnaflow cat-back. Be very careful. I sold my Edge and now im waiting on a custom tune.

Old 10-15-2007 | 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
I ran lean with the S&B,Edge and Magnaflow cat-back. Be very careful. I sold my Edge and now im waiting on a custom tune.
That's exactly why I'm not going with the S&B. I am leaning towards the Roush.

Quick Reply: What's your Non-Biast opnion on Intakes???