Questions involving future setup.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions involving future setup.

Hey guys,

First time posting.. .yay! lol

Been reading these forums for awhile and I think I've found what I'm looking for. I thought I'd throw this out there in case anybody finds any problems or issues with the setup I'm gonna order for my truck. I actually don't even have it yet, but will in the next couple of days.

First off, it's an '04 SCrew 5.4L 4x4. I'm gonna put a Banks Monster exhaust catback under it, SI/SO. Which is 3.0" before the muffler and 3.5" to the tip. From my understanding, these trucks have 4 cats under them. Does it make a huge difference to cut out the two rear ones and then run the exhaust for a little louder tone? Or even how much louder is it to cut them all out and then run the catback? Haha, or lack of cat back?
Then I'm thinking about putting on the S&B CAI, which I understand I need the #75-5023 kit because it's a slightly different length for the fit on the 04's. I really like the look of the enclosed filter under the hood. From what I've read, this intake should not cause the fuel/air to run lean. I'm thinking the intake and exhaust will give the truck a deep, throaty sound to it, nothing too loud down the highway, yet it will roar when you want someone to hear it.
I'm planning on running Troyer custom tunes, but not anytime soon. Anyone have any experience running strictly 87 octane tunes? I'm curious because that's what's mainly available where I live. 91 octane is available as well, but you'll never see 93. If it would improve fuel milage enough to pay for the gas, I would consider switching to premium and order the 91 tunes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

1) the S&B kit will make your truck run lean. if you dont plan to get custom tunes anytime soon, i recommends the AF1 3" kit or the Airraid kit. those 2 will give you good power gains and you wont run lean.

2) cutting off all the cats will make your truck smell disgusting. if you want, cut all 4 and add a pair of magnaflow high-flow cats. it will make it sound a lot louder then with the 4 stock ones, and add power.

3) with troyer, you get to order 3 tunes. i ran only 87 in my truck for its first 76k miles, and will continue to until my troyer tunes get here. i ordered 87 performance, 87 tow, and 91 performance.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:35 AM
Msall150 basicly hit it on the head. Call Troyer and get all your mods together if money is available.

Quick Reply: Questions involving future setup.