Magnaflow set my truck on fire! AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007 | 05:26 PM
welfare, how much space do you have at the closest point between pipe and spare?

Old 10-31-2007 | 10:29 PM
Hmmmmmmm. Magnaflow... where are you in all of this? I 'm not hearing a word from them, have you Welfare?

Old 10-31-2007 | 10:36 PM
|
Nope, not a word. Two emails in 6 months not one answer.

Old 11-06-2007 | 04:01 PM
Former Sponsor
Well I have seen these posts and have chimed in on them. Here are concrete numbers this kit is the # 6 Mover in our line of exhaust systems and we've sold over 600 to date with no problems except for you and one other guy. And you failed to mention that you were running a programmer. Seems to me you have the setting incorrect. I also suggested lowering down the spare tire and cleaning off the dirt and moving the spare farther over to the driver's side of the truck. So yes I have commented on this issue.

Old 11-06-2007 | 04:13 PM
Old 11-06-2007 | 04:40 PM
|
Well I have seen these posts and have chimed in on them. Here are concrete numbers this kit is the # 6 Mover in our line of exhaust systems and we've sold over 600 to date with no problems except for you and one other guy. And you failed to mention that you were running a programmer. Seems to me you have the setting incorrect. I also suggested lowering down the spare tire and cleaning off the dirt and moving the spare farther over to the driver's side of the truck. So yes I have commented on this issue.
I know that you have replied to this post before however no one from Maganflow (the company) has answered any of my emails, had it not been for this forum I would still have no answer.
Last time this happened you said to move the spare, which I did and responded with "it vibrates back to original postion after a few miles of driving."

I have moved and cleaned off my spare tire many times, it has only been 3 months since I bought a brand new tire so I know its still pretty clean.
Now that I am down to my third spare tire I replaced it with a 17 " rim and tire which did infact allow for more clearance. You say that over 600 units have sold, I am sure that I was not the only F-150 with an 18" spare thus causing less clearance.

As for programmers I use an Edge and have spoken to others who have towed with a MF exhaust while using the Edge with no fires. Besides that I use level 2 which is just for towing how can I be any more correct in this matter?

Old 11-06-2007 | 05:46 PM
Well I guess I am the other guy. I don't know about the egt difference between stock and the edge or XCal or any other tuner beyond the fact that if you grab the pipe on any of them, especially when towing, you will fry your hand and I assume probably have enough heat to burn tire rubber. The heat diminishes extremely rapidly even inside of 1/4 inch as compared to actual contact. As mentioned several times, when my 16612 was installed, I did notice it seemed very close to the large stock spare Ford went to but obviously I went brain dead and just did nothing about it. Whether or not the tire would have burned due to tunes or lean conditions or higher than normal egt's still doesn't change the fact that upon install (and after the fact upon trying to adjust the piping) there was a very small clearance. You will not convince me that on some applications the 16612 has proper clearance next to the spare tire. I really posted my (other) thread on this as a warning to check and not a knock on Magna (which I have since bought 2 other mufflers and several tips from). I believe it is irresponsible to not at least warn people running this set up of the possibilities even if only 2 of 600 have (documented) this problem (it is highly likely that many of those other 598 do not post on this forum or probably even know about AND/or do not have the new bigger spare). Anyone running this set up should check their spacing. In the end I drive the truck and believe it is my responsibility to make sure it's right so I'm not blaming Magna or the shop I paid to install or anyone. But it is in everyone's best interest to be safe and check this and if I were Magna I would check the route on this particular set up with these recently bigger spare tires used on some of the CC F150's.

Old 11-06-2007 | 06:44 PM
Once again my question to your guys is if I purchase the 16612 exhaust system and have it install am I going to have any issues seeing that my spare tire is a factory 20" from Ford. I will not be using a tuning machine just the exhaust.

Old 11-06-2007 | 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by pmason718
Once again my question to your guys is if I purchase the 16612 exhaust system and have it install am I going to have any issues seeing that my spare tire is a factory 20" from Ford. I will not be using a tuning machine just the exhaust.
Factory 20 is 31.9" in diameter - pretty much the same as the 18" rubber.

So -same clerance advisory, etc, applies.

Old 11-06-2007 | 06:53 PM
|
Once again my question to your guys is if I purchase the 16612 exhaust system and have it install am I going to have any issues seeing that my spare tire is a factory 20" from Ford. I will not be using a tuning machine just the exhaust
I don't doubt your statement of a 20" spare tire however it just seems unlikely. I have the factory 20's and my spare was 18" 275/65/18 if I remember correctly. You may double check and let us know.

I switched spare tires with my friend who's truck came with 18" factory wheels and had a 17" spare.

If you don't plan on towing a trailer you will be fine, I have never had any MF tire fire problems from just driving around, hook a 6000 lb brick to the bumper and you may have problems, so far 2 out of 600.

Old 11-06-2007 | 07:34 PM
pmason, it's the od of the spare tire as MGD said that matters but I am NOT suggesting NOT buying the 16612. The 275/65R18 Welfare and I had is (was haha) 32.1-inch od. Just be present upon install and IF there is a clearance issue have the shop adjust it since they should be able to do a slight bend or shift IF needed. This would probably go for ANY exhaust modification imo. and agreed, it takes a few stars, a sun, and maybe a moon or two to align for this to occur and it simply takes a little more attention than I gave it to easily never be an issue.

Old 11-06-2007 | 09:32 PM
I will be towing from time to time but no more than 2000lbs including trailer and ATV's. I will like to get a boat in the near future. So with this being said, should I just stay away from the magna flow exhaust all together. I mean I would love to get the exhaust but if its going to cause a problem towing than forget it. So with boat to come in the near future and me just towing ATV's right now. YES or NO on the exhaust.

Last edited by pmason718; 11-06-2007 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-06-2007 | 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by welfare wagon
I don't doubt your statement of a 20" spare tire however it just seems unlikely. I have the factory 20's and my spare was 18" 275/65/18 if I remember correctly. You may double check and let us know.
Im not sure either. I just assumed that if the truck came with 20" factory wheels that the spare would also be 20". IF you have a 07 FX2 Sport with 20" wheels can you please let me know if the spare tire is also 20".

Old 11-06-2007 | 09:56 PM
pmason, read my post #41 again. If you want the 16612, get it and just make sure it fits properly before you leave the shop.

Old 11-06-2007 | 10:26 PM
cool beans

Quick Reply: Magnaflow set my truck on fire! AGAIN