Magnaflow set my truck on fire! AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 07:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im not sure either. I just assumed that if the truck came with 20" factory wheels that the spare would also be 20". IF you have a 07 FX2 Sport with 20" wheels can you please let me know if the spare tire is also 20".
Chances are yours did not come with a 20" spare, the easiset way to find out is to lay on your back under the rear bumper and look at the tire.

YES or NO on the exhaust.
I say go for it just keep an eye on the tire clearance from time to time.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:10 AM
?

Originally Posted by welfare wagon
We shall see this weekend I am going camping again, about 3 hours away and I will be towing with NO EDGE this time.
what was the outcome of this?

Old 11-07-2007, 09:29 AM
what was the outcome of this?
Man someone always wants a story.

This time I had no problems with a tire fire. I did however forget to set my Edge back to stock so running level 2 I had no trouble, this time I drove around 70-72 mph as opposed to 60-65 mph last trip.
I also replaced my 18" spare with a 17" spare which gave a little more clearance and I wrapped more heat tape on the exhaust pipe near the tire, now its double the thickness.

In short I had no problems this time but it has cost me considerably in time, money and aggravation. This is something that should not have happened in the first place.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:31 AM
Maybe its just me, but I read through all this, and while I agree with Welfare that burning spares every time he tows a trailer SUCKS...I cant believe he hasn't done the most obvious thing that MGD suggested...just take a damn temperature reading to determine if its your tune- or- cheaper than buying two spares, why didnt you just relocate the tail pipe? Any local Meineke shop can do that easily enough.

If it were happening to me, I wouldnt be calling out Magnaflow

Old 11-07-2007, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by BlackDawg
pmason, it's the od of the spare tire as MGD said that matters but I am NOT suggesting NOT buying the 16612. The 275/65R18 Welfare and I had is (was haha) 32.1-inch od. Just be present upon install and IF there is a clearance issue have the shop adjust it since they should be able to do a slight bend or shift IF needed. This would probably go for ANY exhaust modification imo. and agreed, it takes a few stars, a sun, and maybe a moon or two to align for this to occur and it simply takes a little more attention than I gave it to easily never be an issue.
I thought that these exhaust's where like (Windows) just plug n play. Correct me if Im wrong but isnt the 16612 a direct replacement of stock exhaust? If so why will I need to bend or shift it for clearance. Shouldnt it just align in the same position that the stock was in? Please forgive me for all the questions. Yes I am a newb when it comes to this and I would like as much information that I can get.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:39 AM
Maybe its just me, but I read through all this, and while I agree with Welfare that burning spares every time he tows a trailer SUCKS...I cant believe he hasn't done the most obvious thing that MGD suggested...just take a damn temperature reading to determine if its your tune- or- cheaper than buying two spares, why didnt you just relocate the tail pipe? Any local Meineke shop can do that easily enough.

If it were happening to me, I wouldnt be calling out Magnaflow
First of all can anyone tell me where to buy and how much a temp. device cost?

Second I did visit a muffler shop, they told me everything looked fine, thats how they would let it out the door if they installed it themselves.

Third I posted that I have tried to contact MF. I emailed them twice about the situation and get a generic response about how I should look over the FAQ section to see if that answers my question,if not they will get to me sometime.

Forth Magaflow Rep has spoken about the issue and tells me to relocate my spare which I have done and it vibrates back to original postion after driving a bit.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:43 AM
I thought that these exhaust's where like (Windows) just plug n play. Correct me if Im wrong but isnt the 16612 a direct replacement of stock exhaust? If so why will I need to bend or shift it for clearance. Shouldnt it just align in the same position that the stock was in? Please forgive me for all the questions. Yes I am a newb when it comes to this and I would like as much information that I can get.
No problem, I too asked many questions before buying one myself, according to the instructions I had enough clearance around my spare. The local muffler shop backed me up on that issue.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:51 AM
Optical pyrometer's will give you a quick check of the temp or at least the pipe temp. They are cheap enough. I think radio shack may even have them. Try searching google for a EGT sensor if you want to go that route. I'm sure you'll find all sorts of options.

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/ra...FQsJQAodrQXV0g

FWIW, email is not the way to address a concern like this. Call them and ask to speak with engineering. Email is too casual and doesn't send the right message.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by pmason718
I have never just bolted anything on any car and not had to make some adjustments. Nothing i ever buy seems to fit just the way i like it without some tweaking on some level. However, his exhaust should not be setting his spare tire on fire...

Old 11-07-2007, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by LUKE_DUKE
I have never just bolted anything on any car and not had to make some adjustments. Nothing i ever buy seems to fit just the way i like it without some tweaking on some level. However, his exhaust should not be setting his spare tire on fire...
Even when he's towing? What amount of weight would you guys say is too much for towing when you have this exhaust installed.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by pmason718
Im not sure either. I just assumed that if the truck came with 20" factory wheels that the spare would also be 20". IF you have a 07 FX2 Sport with 20" wheels can you please let me know if the spare tire is also 20".
NO the 20'' spare only comes with the HD/Limited Editions. The stock tires are normally +1's to the spare.

XLT w/ 18''s = 17'' Spare
FX2 w/ 20''s = 18'' Spare
HD/Lmtd w/ 22''s = 20'' Spare

Old 11-07-2007, 01:37 PM
pmason, yea I don't think anything I've added fit (exactly) perfect at first. Even if it fit well usually it could be tweaked. I'm sure many kits will just bolt right up but wouldn't bet on any system fitting absolutely perfect without giving it a good once over. You can pull until your tranny falls out with proper clearance.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:53 PM
I have the 16612 installed on my Screw and I also have the 18" wheels. I have towed 5-8000 lbs for a total of about 15,000KM in the past 10 months with the exhaust on and have not had a problem. There is about 1.5" of clearance between the pipe and tire.

I once pulled a 30' trailer with 4 compact utility tractors and attachments with the total weight being 9600 lbs (verified on the scale and yes, I know too much weight for the truck... ) for 350km into a really strong head wind. The truck was working hard that day and my spare is still fine.

I think MGDFan is on to something with you truck not quite running right to generate that much heat. Towing and the Magnaflow exhaust should not cause this to happen.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:18 PM
Could a muffler shop fab a sort of heat shield around the exhaust going next to your spare?

I know this is not a perfect solution but...

Old 11-08-2007, 11:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Roush Off Road won't be setting my spare on fire. They designed the system right the first time.

Magnaflow needs to fix this design flaw.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow set my truck on fire! AGAIN