Magnaflow set my truck on fire! AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magnaflow set my truck on fire! AGAIN

Incase you didn't see the last episode.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=293462

Now to the rerun.
This weekend I went out with the trailer for some fall camping. When I arrived at the campground, only 120 miles away my spare tire was completely gone, the entire side burnt down to the cords.
Now here are the differences in circumstance from the last time this happened, help me think what else I could be missing.

This time
Outside temp 65-70 degrees.
Speed 65 mph do to strong crosswinds.
Edge programed level 2 87 octane.
1500 degree heat wrap on exhaust pipe near the tire.
Repostioned and double checked all clamps and hangers.
Total trip time before I noticed the problem 2 hours 120 miles.

Last time this happened
Outside temp 90-95 degrees.
Speed 70 mph in a hilly area.
Edge programed level 2 87 octane
No heat tape
Total trip time before I noticed the problem 6 hours 400+ miles.

Does anyone else have a clue why? I drove slower, had heat tape and this time it only took 2 hours and the damage was far worse. I have about had it with Magnaflow and may ditch it for my stock exhaust again, I have now had to buy 2 new spare tires which have cost me almost what the exhaust system itself did.
Tomarrow I am going to stop by an exhaust shop near me and see if they have any suggestions, maybe make a hanger that will hold it farther away from the spare.

BTW I am running the 16612 system.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:13 PM
Sorry but the title of your thread is kinda funny
The only way i know of that happening is if your exhaust pipes are too close to your spare. I did have an exhaust do that to a truck i used to own but there was only maybe 2 inches of clearance. Even in that situation it never completely melted the tire. It just melted a little bit of the tread.

How close is the piping to your spare and do you have any pics of your exhaust??

Old 10-21-2007, 05:39 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
IMHO - you need to measure that pipe's temperature with an IR thermometer ASAP.

I think yer EGT's are too high - reason, I can only guess it's the tuning.

Shoot it after a run with the tune, then with the stock calibration.

If they are really high even with the stock tune you may have an engine management problem.

All I can think of other than Kevin's suggestions....

If this were common it would be all over here, I would think.

I've had pipes within 1" with nary a problem ...

Ask 'Magnaflow Rep' as well, perhaps.... he may know what that normal pipe reading should be ...

Good luck.

Last edited by MGDfan; 10-21-2007 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

thats why my spare is just thrown in the box

Old 10-21-2007, 08:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

have a shop re-weld your rear tailpipes, moving them further away from your tire.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But what does that say about the kit? I would be PISSED if I had to take a kit and then spend more money on top of it to keep it from setting my OEM equipment on fire.

I dont see the EGT's changing enough to cook a tire on his truck, but yet not strong enough to give him some very noticable engine/drivability problems.

I would pull the exhaust and sell it, take the loss and either pick up an exhaust with better fitment, or stay stock.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:22 PM
Welfare,

I had the same thing happen a while back as well and you may have seen my post on that in the 2004+ section. Anyway same thing, 16612 and 275/65R18 spare which was just too close. I attempted to loosen and move the pipes but that just wasn't happening so I ended up changing my exhuast around a few times before I found something I really like. I run 35's anyway so I took the oppurtunity to go ahead and get a 35-inch spare which just fits in the stock mount location. Anyway I would suggest taking it to a shop and have them save the 18-inch muffler and tip and simply re-route the piping however you want and then weld it all back. It shouldn't cost much, less than $100 probably. I also tried wrap, etc. and was just not that satisfied with it until moving it completely. Actually my tip is now just under 3-inches at the closest to the spare and I'm running a 5-inch diameter tip and have the 35 stuffed under there. This is plenty of room as even during towing the tip never gets closer than ~2 1/2-inches when hot. I've watched my exhaust and tire like a hawk ever since that happened until I was satisfied. You can put your hand within 1/4-inch of the hot exhaust and not feel much heat and no where near burn quality so I believe there actually has to be contact or very very near contact to melt, burn or even deform the rubber. The 16612 simply has a bad route and it's too close at least on some applications and then when it gets hot is probably moves that little bit and makes contact.

MGD fan is probably on to something with your temps. When I burned my spare I was running some crap tunes which were ditched long ago for top shelf stuff. Anyway, here is my set up now......remember this is a huge 5-inch diameter tip and 35-inch spare and it still has plenty of room if you are into the dump thing this would easily work for you and some even dump before the axle but for me that puts the muffler under the cab too much. Otherwise side exit in front of rear tire is an option but again the muffler will be under the cab making things louder or like the others said simply have a shop route the piping farther away from the spare.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:13 AM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
IMHO - you need to measure that pipe's temperature with an IR thermometer ASAP.

I think yer EGT's are too high - reason, I can only guess it's the tuning.

Shoot it after a run with the tune, then with the stock calibration.

Good luck.
Good suggestion
So how much clearance do you have????

Old 10-22-2007, 07:49 AM
Like I said I am off to the muffler shop this week and most likely will have something done to move the pipe location.

Blackdawg,
Do you think a bad tune would cause this over a stock setting? I don't know thats why I am asking you all, A lot of others are running the Edge the only reason I bought mine was for towing and the ability to watch my temps more closley.
I like your idea on moving your pipe but would prefer the tip be visable, not tucked away under the truck.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:19 AM
I dont think its your exhaust, I think its your Edge. I didnt see a cai in your set up but I had the Edge and cat back (same as yours) and as soon as I added the cai my truck ran very lean. To the point I thought my spare was going to catch fire. Exhaust was really hot. After 10 minutes of driving I could only put my hand 3-4 inches away from the exhaust tip and it will start to burn. Unloaded the Edge and did the same drive and I could touch the exhaust tip, it was warm but did not burn at all. I have a 2 and 4 year old that have there hands all over my truck and didnt want them getting burned, so at that point I decided to get a Troyer tune. We will see if this makes a difference. BTW I called Edge and asked them if there tune would exept a cai and exhaust and they said no, it is only for stock trucks and they do so many tunes for so many trucks they will never make a tune for mods. If you want to keep the Edge try level 1 (trans tune) and see if your exhaust cools down.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:32 AM
I dont think its your exhaust, I think its your Edge. I didnt see a cai in your set up but I had the Edge and cat back (same as yours) and as soon as I added the cai my truck ran very lean. To the point I thought my spare was going to catch fire. Exhaust was really hot. After 10 minutes of driving I could only put my hand 3-4 inches away from the exhaust tip and it will start to burn. Unloaded the Edge and did the same drive and I could touch the exhaust tip, it was warm but did not burn at all. I have a 2 and 4 year old that have there hands all over my truck and didnt want them getting burned, so at that point I decided to get a Troyer tune. We will see if this makes a difference. BTW I called Edge and asked them if there tune would exept a cai and exhaust and they said no, it is only for stock trucks and they do so many tunes for so many trucks they will never make a tune for mods. If you want to keep the Edge try level 1 (trans tune) and see if your exhaust cools down.
Thanks I will try that this afternoon.

BTW I went by the exhaust shop this morning and they told me it looked fine, they could move it around some but with no benefit. I told them of a few others who have had similar problems, the shop then called a Magnaflow distributor and told of the problem, he responded by saying he to had never heard of a tire catching fire, so I am back a square one.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:36 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by welfare wagon
Thanks I will try that this afternoon.

BTW I went by the exhaust shop this morning and they told me it looked fine, they could move it around some but with no benefit. I told them of a few others who have had similar problems, the shop then called a Magnaflow distributor and told of the problem, he responded by saying he to had never heard of a tire catching fire, so I am back a square one.
No - you are back to measuring the pipe temp and relating that to tuning - as indicated earlier ....

1" clearance with a normally running EGT is adequate separation.

You do realize that the rigors of towing causes EGT's to rise, do you not? And that tuning *may* either exacerbate this tendency, or alleviate it.

Just trying to help here ... if you don't want/need it, no problem. Good luck.

Last edited by MGDfan; 10-22-2007 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:49 AM
I have a 2 and 4 year old that have there hands all over my truck and didn't want them getting burned
Sound like you need to teach the kids "hands off" on the paint. I know because I have a 3 & 6 year old that love to "draw" on my dirty truck, boy did they get it when I caught them, now its not so much a problem

"Dr. Phil child raising moment"

Old 10-22-2007, 09:59 AM
uh, sounds like you need to ditch the Edge man. I'll take it off of your hands for ya! Keep us posted!

Old 10-22-2007, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by welfare wagon
Sound like you need to teach the kids "hands off" on the paint. I know because I have a 3 & 6 year old that love to "draw" on my dirty truck, boy did they get it when I caught them, now its not so much a problem

"Dr. Phil child raising moment"
Lol, I tried the hands off approach that didnt work. lol I have the little one help with cleaning the truck now. My neigbhor had his 3 yr old show them how he could draw (with a sharpie) down the side of there 1 week old Toyota mini van. I heard him screaming ''NO'' from inside my house.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow set my truck on fire! AGAIN