Exhaust and Intake on '05 4.6L

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007 | 04:05 PM
|
Exhaust and Intake on '05 4.6L

Hey everyone. I am new to this site and am looking for some help. I recently bought an '05 F-150 with the 4.6L and am ready to do some upgrades. I am planning on putting a catback exhaust system and a new intake to squeeze a little extra out of the little guy. I was looking at the MagnaFlow system part #16614 and wondered if anyone has had any experience with this system. How was the install and did everyting fit well etc.? I was also looking at the Borla T-304 system part #140137 and have the same questions. To complement the exhaust I wanted to add the K&N Series 77 intake kit. Any comments these products or other suggestions for exhausts and intakes would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-21-2007 | 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by reed87
Hey everyone. I am new to this site and am looking for some help. I recently bought an '05 F-150 with the 4.6L and am ready to do some upgrades. I am planning on putting a catback exhaust system and a new intake to squeeze a little extra out of the little guy. I was looking at the MagnaFlow system part #16614 and wondered if anyone has had any experience with this system. How was the install and did everyting fit well etc.? I was also looking at the Borla T-304 system part #140137 and have the same questions. To complement the exhaust I wanted to add the K&N Series 77 intake kit. Any comments these products or other suggestions for exhausts and intakes would be appreciated. Thanks.
Hi & welcome!

Either Maggie or Borla will be great.

Intake - just say NO to that K&N crappola , and go with a AF1 3".

Look up recent posts by Texedition for feedback.

Good luck - LOTs of info here for the searchin' ...

MGD

Old 10-22-2007 | 10:45 PM
i have the K&N 77 and i love it kinda bad when the rest of the stuff under the hood is all muddy and theres a big shinny pipe sittin there but its good if u drive normal u get better gas mileage. i dont really have a cat back exhuast i have pace setter shorty headers and i cut off my muffler and my Y pipe my exhuast has turn downs right after the last o2 senors....its pretty loud in the truck lol. i went from 10MPG to 15 to 16 MPG just with theses chages. the intake was 230.00 and my headers were 220.00 and ive had them both on about a year now and they have payed for them selfs in the gas money ive saved....who knew the lil 4.6 could drink so much gas lol good luck!

Old 10-23-2007 | 01:01 AM
Originally Posted by reed87
Hey reed, I have an '05 Screw with the 4.6 as well.. A new intake and exhaust were the first mods I made and were well worth it!!

First thing I did was a cat-back, and I was split between the Maggie you mentioned and the Borla 140136.. I ended up going with the Borla and I love it.. sounds great (thought it was too quiet at first, it's louder and perfect now), and I also got a gain of 1.8 mpg highway as soon as I put it on. I don't think you can go wrong with the Magnaflow either though.

I went with the 3" AF1 intake, I'd pretty much made up my mind on that one before I even started looking at prices. Nice increase in throttle response at mid to high rpm's (passing speeds) and sweet, sweet sounds.. Enclosed systems might make sense if your a heavy mudder, otherwise you're just replacing one enclosed system (stock) with another.. The whole point of these so-called CAI's is increased airflow, within reason.

Both of those mods made me very happy!! Great sounds, noticeably better performance, better mileage..

And I finally ordered tunes from Troyer, just got 'em last week, and I have to say... It's a whole different ballgame now.. LOL It's like a different truck...

Click on the camera icon up in the top right and I have some pics of the AF1 installed..

Quick Reply: Exhaust and Intake on '05 4.6L