Realistically, How Much Torque Loss w/Flowmaster?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Realistically, How Much Torque Loss w/Flowmaster?

Just exactly how much torque loss are we talking having with a Flowmaster exhaust installed. I have an 03 supercrew with a 50 series dual exhaust. I tow a 6000lb travel trailer in summer and its kind of hilly and HOT around here so I can't rip up the steep hills. If I switched out to, lets say a Magnaflow, am i going to SIGNIFICANTLY increase my hill towing ability (i.e. a "huge" increase in torque)? Or am I only going to have the placebo effect in my head caused by the big hit that my wallet took?

Old 10-22-2007, 05:35 PM
id like to kno that also before i get my cat foward exhaust installed.. i have a dual flowmaster 50 series... should i switch it out... will a magnaflow muffler thats the exact same size do any better... or should i go with a different size.. i believe the one i have now is like 13x17 or something like that...thanks

Old 10-22-2007, 05:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

i think some of it depends on what truck you have, which engine, etc. i noticed no change in power between exhausts when i switched to flowmaster on my 5.4 3v. so who knows.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

better brands such as magnaflow will flow better than flow masters any day. i have been and will keep using flo-pro mufflers. they flow good and have no drone. i would say that 95% of all drone is gone.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by thx1133
Just exactly how much torque loss are we talking having with a Flowmaster exhaust installed. I have an 03 supercrew with a 50 series dual exhaust. I tow a 6000lb travel trailer in summer and its kind of hilly and HOT around here so I can't rip up the steep hills. If I switched out to, lets say a Magnaflow, am i going to SIGNIFICANTLY increase my hill towing ability (i.e. a "huge" increase in torque)? Or am I only going to have the placebo effect in my head caused by the big hit that my wallet took?
that is a myth that these guys like to believe. by putting the flowmaster on you are increasing back pressure as opposed to say magnaflow. Backpressure helps to suck back unburned exhaust gases back into the combustion chamber which benefits the LOW end. but if you wanted it for more performance then a magnaflow is much better because it reduces the back pressure and flows more exhaust at a higher rpm. Seeings how you already have the exhaust modified you would be better off saving the money and putting it towards electric fans, or a tuner etc. You wont notice a difference at all when towing. It will be exactly like you said the placebo effect where you want to believe so you will

Old 10-23-2007, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by Gotts2BMe
that is a myth that these guys like to believe. by putting the flowmaster on you are increasing back pressure as opposed to say magnaflow. Backpressure helps to suck back unburned exhaust gases back into the combustion chamber which benefits the LOW end. but if you wanted it for more performance then a magnaflow is much better because it reduces the back pressure and flows more exhaust at a higher rpm. Seeings how you already have the exhaust modified you would be better off saving the money and putting it towards electric fans, or a tuner etc. You wont notice a difference at all when towing. It will be exactly like you said the placebo effect where you want to believe so you will
You have that all wrong. Back pressure sucks nothing and only hinders exhaust flow (hinders your exhaust from leaving the tailpipe). You want an exhaust system with as little back pressure as possible and as high exhaust gas velocity as possible.

Magnaflows allow for higher exhaust gas velocities because of their straight through design.

Flowmasters do not as they use baffles inside their mufflers to achieve their well-known tone. Your exhaust "struggles" to find it's way out of the muffler like a rat in a maze.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:26 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MudTerrain
You have that all wrong. Back pressure sucks nothing and only hinders exhaust flow (hinders your exhaust from leaving the tailpipe). You want an exhaust system with as little back pressure as possible and as high exhaust gas velocity as possible.

Magnaflows allow for higher exhaust gas velocities because of their straight through design.

Flowmasters do not as they use baffles inside their mufflers to achieve their well-known tone. Your exhaust "struggles" to find it's way out of the muffler like a rat in a maze.

^^ x2....

Gotts, that was some load of BS ya flung there.... lemmie guess, you got that from the F150.net or Ford-trucks sites, where clueless misinformation rules

So I'll reiterate the following yet again .... probably for the 10th time - hopefully it'll stick with ya once and for all:

---> https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...88&postcount=9

To the OP - it varies, but the effects are real and usually noticeable. You need to preserve all the torque you can .... good luck.

MGD

Old 10-23-2007, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by MudTerrain
I guess that is why people on here believe that removing the cats is bad as well and HURTS performance.

Mr. MGD

Horsepower = Tourque X RPM / 5252

Mike in that link says that it hurts tourque but gains horsepower? So the faster you want to push the exhaust gas through the muffler the easier it gets then? If it were to hurt tourque, it would hurt tourque across the entire power band

Old 10-23-2007, 07:41 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You can go on line to the Lightning or Harley forums and read up on them. They routinely say that adding long tube headers reduce low end torque. SOme even have dyno numbers and/or times. Yes you get high rpm power, but some of us want low to mid range torque. Can tell you this, with the long tubes and no cats, the SOB is loud as h ll! Couldn't even hear my blower whine and thats not exceptable.

OBTW If you want to stick with Flowmasters, I have heard that you can get rid of the droneeeeeeeee with a 2 chamber on one side and a 3 chamber on the other. I had 3 chambers on a 5.0 and got rid of them. The drone at cruising speed was enough to make you want to jump ship!

Last edited by CobraKit; 10-23-2007 at 07:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Realistically, How Much Torque Loss w/Flowmaster?