S&B with no lid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007 | 07:05 PM
|
S&B with no lid?

Anyone with the S&B intake running it without the lid? If so, are you having any problems with it? Was fooling around with my truck today and had the cover off my S&B intake. Some how I broke the cover in 3 pieces. Will it hurt anything if it is not covered?

Old 10-27-2007 | 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by 05F1FIDDY4x4
Anyone with the S&B intake running it without the lid? If so, are you having any problems with it? Was fooling around with my truck today and had the cover off my S&B intake. Some how I broke the cover in 3 pieces. Will it hurt anything if it is not covered?
This is the intake I run and never had a problem..

You should be fine with the top open, probably run better without the cover.. If it makes you nervous just order a new cover from S&B.. or get a flat piece of rubbermaid and drill as many holes in it as you want... same thing..

Old 10-29-2007 | 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by 05F1FIDDY4x4
You shoudnt have a problem. I was going to try it also but since I was running lean more air probably wouldt be better. lol

Old 10-29-2007 | 11:57 AM
Isn't the whole point of a top cover for the S&B to rid the CAI of warm enginebay air, hence defeating its purpose if removed...

Old 10-29-2007 | 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by Grubrunner
Isn't the whole point of a top cover for the S&B to rid the CAI of warm enginebay air, hence defeating its purpose if removed...

He broke his in 3 pcs.

Old 10-29-2007 | 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
He broke his in 3 pcs.
Yep I know that, I was just asking a general question...

Anyway, I'm sure S&B can provide a replacement, or, even better, take a cardboard template and drop it into a pleaxigalss shop who can duplicate it.

I say "even better" because the S&B OEM plexiglass cover is far from a perfect [flush] fit.

Old 10-29-2007 | 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Grubrunner
Yep I know that, I was just asking a general question...

Anyway, I'm sure S&B can provide a replacement, or, even better, take a cardboard template and drop it into a pleaxigalss shop who can duplicate it.

I say "even better" because the S&B OEM plexiglass cover is far from a perfect [flush] fit.
They can replace it and you are right about the fit, I thought I was going to crack mine when I first installed it.

Old 10-29-2007 | 02:47 PM
hardware store with carboard template

Old 10-30-2007 | 02:43 AM
Originally Posted by NYfordguy
hardware store with carboard template
I've used plexiglass many times in the past and have found the best finish to plexiglass's edges - not including a laser cut - is with a router and a light [400-plus grade] sand.

I'm not sure hardware outlets will provide this service.

Old 10-30-2007 | 02:54 AM
I'd just run the damn thing without the lid for awhile.. I bet it sounds better, pulls better at the high end.. excluding heavy muddin', then I'd get a lid for it..

Otherwise... come on.. I mean really, how much colder is that air coming through that 3 and 1/2" hole? and how much more restricted? Hell, the AF1 element only sits like an inch away from that hole..

My AF1 sucks air in like a mother****er, no denying that... Muddin', I'd rather have it enclosed.. but for what most of us do? Open element..

Old 10-30-2007 | 08:49 AM
Thats true Texed......for what we do....open element. Cant argue with that.

Old 10-30-2007 | 12:00 PM
So Tex, you're saying that the plexiglass cover is purely for cosmetic purposes and not functional?

Old 11-01-2007 | 01:59 AM
It's functional for keeping large amounts of muddy sludge away from your filter, if that's something you need to be concerned about.. And again, if I was gonna be doing heavy muddin' I'd want that cover..

But I ain't a heavy mudder either, all I want is the air.. LOL

Quick Reply: S&B with no lid?