Exhaust ? - In the ballpark???

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007 | 02:42 PM
|
Exhaust ? - In the ballpark???

Last week, my wife needed to drive my 02 F-150 to pick up a large item at the store and said she noticed it was louder in the cab. (This not being my daily driver, I hadn't had the chance to notice yet) Anyway, one of the rear exhaust tubes had rusted free from the "Y" pipe after the muffler.(Rear dump cat back system dealer put on back when I first purchased it) After seeing how/what aluminized steel does from the inside out, I'd be sold on completely stainless steel system for future vehicles.

I called a few shops around the area (still waiting on a few calls back from others) and have received a few price quotes.

Shop 1 - (The systems are all Alum. steel. Tack on another $100 for something other than an alum. muffler)
Duals out the rear (with my old stainless tips) $300
3" stock location dump $250
Used factory system taken off a prior vehicle $175
This place also won't order a stainless (say Magnaflow) system and install it, they have the customer order it and they charge $180 for an install as it is cheaper that way they say.

Shop 2 - (this one is local)
Alum system with my tips dumped out the back or side $400 (tack on another $100 if I want something other than a Alum. turbo muffler)
They will also order/install Magnaflow and flowmaster systems
Magnaflow all Stainless dual rear dump - $630 installed (these are with new tips)
Magnaflow all stainless single side dump - $610 installed (these are with new tips)

My first question is, do these tend to be resonable prices? (more of the shop 2 prices)
Secondly, I am somewhat mechanically inclined, how hard are these kits to install yourself? (I noticed Troyer was selling the magnaflows for around 500 with free shipping I believe)
I believe it's an all or nothing deal here....either put the factory used on or to pony up and go stainless (which I am leaning towards the single dump side as I hate the reverb when you tow something) Normally I wouldn't worry as much about the price, but come February all of my vehicles will be getting a few new "mods." (Carseats, window shades...whatever else a vehicle gets "decked" out with for a first born + the baby itself)

Thanks in advance!
Steve

Last edited by dragonsm; 10-31-2007 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-31-2007 | 09:37 PM
shop#2 sounds a bit too high, a stainless Magnaflow catback will cost near $450 including tips, and $100 or less to have it installed. Shop 1 seems ok, but bummer they wont order parts.

Quick Reply: Exhaust ? - In the ballpark???