Is this setup LEGAL in CA? Need input from Maganaflow rep and everyone else!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this setup LEGAL in CA? Need input from Maganaflow rep and everyone else!

Anyways as you can see I live in CA...aka the communist state. I currently have a Maggie cat back with it the maggie cut off and a flowmaster in place. Don't really like it and I think I have a plugged cat and a pipe is leaking cause I get a hissing noise. Anyways see if this setup is legal and will pass emissions in CA.

LT headers, with 2 Maganaflow high flow cats and 2 of the loudest Magnaflow mufflers available..don't know which is the loudest so I need imput on that as well. But let me know if this would work thanks. Also I would get both mufflers dumped as well. Should I get SI/DO mufflers or just leave it as SI/SO? I'm currently running SI/SO 3" system.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:41 PM
nice drawing magnaflow makes a highflow that is legal in CA now so you should be fine. but goodluck finding a shop that will mess with your cats

Old 12-10-2007, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by MmmBuckles
nice drawing magnaflow makes a highflow that is legal in CA now so you should be fine. but goodluck finding a shop that will mess with your cats
Hah I'll do what you said in the other thread and hit them with a hammer.

Nah, but the shop I go to already thinks I have a plugged cat so it should be good.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:48 PM
long tube headers are not legal in Ca, I should know I'm living down here in Temecula at the moment. I haven't even tried to get mine inspected yet. With the long tubes, I've heard you will run cleaner, I'm not sure if you will pass the visual. Not even sure if they will even look for the long tubes, I just moved here in September

Old 12-10-2007, 10:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

ive been researching this forever because i want an aggressive and high performance exhaust. Ill give you the low down...

No long tube headers are legal in CA.

No high flow cats are legal for any F150 yet in CA. Yes, even the universal ones will not be legal on your truck.

Removing ANY factory cats is illegal in CA.

Mid tube headers are illegal.

Shorties are illegal EXCEPT the JBAs, because they got theirs CARB certified.

Will you pass emmisions with some of the above stuff? Yes. Is it CARB certified legal? NO. Yes, it sucks, i know.

I talked to a guy from Pacesetter, and he said they have plans to get their Shorties, Mid-tubes, and Long-tubes CARB certified in the future, but he couldnt give me any date estimate.

Basically the CARB (california Air Resources Board) is a PITA and a POS. Gotta love the prius driving green peace state.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
ive been researching this forever because i want an aggressive and high performance exhaust. Ill give you the low down...

No long tube headers are legal in CA.

No high flow cats are legal for any F150 yet in CA. Yes, even the universal ones will not be legal on your truck.

Removing ANY factory cats is illegal in CA.

Mid tube headers are illegal.

Shorties are illegal EXCEPT the JBAs, because they got theirs CARB certified.

Will you pass emmisions with some of the above stuff? Yes. Is it CARB certified legal? NO. Yes, it sucks, i know.

I talked to a guy from Pacesetter, and he said they have plans to get their Shorties, Mid-tubes, and Long-tubes CARB certified in the future, but he couldnt give me any date estimate.

Basically the CARB (california Air Resources Board) is a PITA and a POS. Gotta love the prius driving green peace state.
magnaflow makes a CARB certified cat. i just looked at them
http://www.car-sound.com/02product/universal/430.asp

Old 12-10-2007, 11:13 PM

magnaflow makes a CARB certified cat. i just looked at them
http://www.car-sound.com/02product/universal/430.asp
Nope. CARB has to certify the VEHICLE too. Sure, that cat will be legal on CARB certified vehicles. Unfortunately, the F150 has not been certified for cat replacement yet. Neither the 97-03 trucks nor the 04+ have been certified. I even called Magnaflow about it, and the rep also confirmed that none of their cats are legal on the F150s yet. yeah, sucks.

Last edited by mSaLL150; 12-10-2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:17 PM
sounds like yall just need to move to Texas. i would kill myself if i had to live in CA

Old 12-10-2007, 11:30 PM
wow screw CARB. I can't wait till I get out of this communist state.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by |SoCal|Screw
wow screw CARB. I can't wait till I get out of this communist state.
Seriously, move to Texas. its so much cheaper, and no retarded rules

Old 12-10-2007, 11:52 PM

sounds like yall just need to move to Texas. i would kill myself if i had to live in CA
If only Texas had awesome beaches, amazing fishing, hunting, hiking, mountain ranges, deserts, best soil in the nation, huge peaks, skiing/snowboarding, boating/lakes, hi-tech silicon valley, and awesome weather/climate all in the same state, without tornadoes or hurricanes.

I think i can deal with stupid emissions. Texas may be cheaper, but remember, you get what you pay for

Old 12-11-2007, 12:55 AM
If only Texas had awesome beaches, amazing fishing, hunting, hiking, mountain ranges, deserts, best soil in the nation, huge peaks, skiing/snowboarding, boating/lakes, hi-tech silicon valley, and awesome weather/climate all in the same state, without tornadoes or hurricanes.

I think i can deal with stupid emissions. Texas may be cheaper, but remember, you get what you pay for
Texas has some amazing fishing, hunting, boating lakes around. we may not have white beaches and mountains to snowboard on, but we sure as hell have other things that make up for it. and those hurricanes and tornadoes, just make for better mudding after they pass. lol

Old 12-11-2007, 01:42 AM

Texas has some amazing fishing, hunting, boating lakes around. we may not have white beaches and mountains to snowboard on, but we sure as hell have other things that make up for it. and those hurricanes and tornadoes, just make for better mudding after they pass. lol
true. im not hating, i actually really like Texas.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:47 AM
true. im not hating, i actually really like Texas.
ya. same here. nothing against cali. its just not for me

Old 12-11-2007, 06:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seriously, move to Texas. its so much cheaper, and no retarded rules

I call BS on that one!!! I just moved to Round Rock, TX from Phoenix, AZ. In Texas you can't just go out shooting, off roading, dirt biking, playing with you 4-wheeler...nothing, unless you own the land and 10 acres minimum (that would be a small list of RETARDED rules). In AZ, all you have to do is drive a 1/4 mile from any house, business, or paved highway and have at it. In AZ you can own and enjoy full auto guns and silencers, and it's an open carry state (you can go grocery shopping with an AK-47 if you wanted to), oh and you can put ANYTHING on your truck that you want, just as long as it passes the sniffer. Me and the wife are planning on selling the house we just bought, and moving back to Arizona. Ya it might cost more, but your freedom's are worth every penny! OK, sorry for going wayyyyy off subject, but I had to put my $.02 in on this one...

AMEN to that! AZ also has all that...but a lot more in off road fun...not so much in they way of good soil or beaches...but ya, you get what you pay for. AZ cost half of CA, and TX is half of AZ...to me, it's well worth the $$$$.

---not saying anything bad about Texas, it's beautiful country, I guess it's just not my type of beer...

Last edited by PhqChevys; 12-11-2007 at 07:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Is this setup LEGAL in CA? Need input from Maganaflow rep and everyone else!