Exhaust Advice Needed for Rookie

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Advice Needed for Rookie

I've got an 06 5.4L FX4 flairside supercrew (all stock at this point, minus drop in K&N), but I'm looking to start adding some mods, one of those being a change in exhaust...which leads me to my question...

Sitting on stock exhaust...and a tight budget for parts, but will get free labor (awesome)...I'm looking for a gain in performance, and some sound...nothing super loud, just louder than stock...I have clients with me, so it cant be "unprofessional"...whatever that means

Looking for advice...just cut out the stock muffler and put something smaller, like a 14" SI/SO in there and dump the exit pipe just after?...I'd rather not put tips on if I can help it...would a SI/DO work better?...I'm not going to mess with headers...I dont want to mess with too much...basically I just want a slightly enhanced stock system

Vague enough for you?...ha...I obviously dont know what I'm doing, so advice would be nice...thanks in advance

Old 12-13-2007, 04:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the site! You may want to use the search feature. It will answer a lot of questions for you while you wait for a reply.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:45 PM
a couple guys at work have just taken the catalac (sp?) coverters out. it sounds not bad and is louder then stock but not two loud. cost a hole 75 bucks for parts.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:31 PM
How "tight" of a buget are you on?

Old 12-13-2007, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by Grubrunner
How "tight" of a buget are you on?
I can only spend about $100 or so...that may limit me to a muffler and some piping material...I've got a connection for bends and welds...I just need to provide the material/parts

I've seen some people on here that have just done a muffler swap from that HUGE stock guy to a 14" or 18" Magnaflow or brand of choice...I think that will probably be the way to go for me...

Any thoughts about dumping?...or should I just add a tip?

Should I just put the new muffler where the stock one is located?...or is there even a difference in sound/performance based on location?

Old 12-14-2007, 03:18 AM
Yeah, a single Ben Frank isn't gonna' get you a lot.

A muffler, some piping and a tip is pretty much your [absolute] limt.... at the very best.

Good luck.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:14 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Yeager05
I can only spend about $100 or so...that may limit me to a muffler and some piping material...I've got a connection for bends and welds...I just need to provide the material/parts

I've seen some people on here that have just done a muffler swap from that HUGE stock guy to a 14" or 18" Magnaflow or brand of choice...I think that will probably be the way to go for me...

Any thoughts about dumping?...or should I just add a tip?

Should I just put the new muffler where the stock one is located?...or is there even a difference in sound/performance based on location?
with that tight a budget good luck. but i can understand the budget thing.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Advice Needed for Rookie