EGR Pipe Hose!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007 | 05:47 PM
|
EGR Pipe Hose!

Hey guys, I have the 5.4l, early version, and just modified my header system. I went custom so the EGR pipe definately needs to be shortened. Do any of you know of a 3/4" i.d. silicone hose that would hold up?? Or any other material hose so I can make the pipe connection???

Edit: moderator please move to aftermarket exh. if necessary.

Last edited by turbosean; 12-18-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-18-2007 | 10:00 PM
Back when I had my first supercharge kit.The directions called for you to cut the EGR tube to shorten it and they gave me a small piece of rubber hose to reconnect it.
It worked good and when I had to replace it ,,I just used a high presser piece of rubber hose.
Find a piece of high presser/heat resistant hose and you'll be fine.

Phil

Old 12-18-2007 | 10:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor
I used a heavy heater hose . So far it's worked

Old 12-18-2007 | 10:45 PM
Could also just cut the pipe keep the nuts , put on new shorter pipe and reflare with nuts? It is a flared pipe isn't it?

Old 12-19-2007 | 01:10 AM
|
Yeah, I actually talked to a couple of hose specialty shops around here and they claim that I may need stronger hose than their 600F silicone fiberglass hose??

They seem to claim that the temps may go beyond 600f for prolong periods and will deteriorate the strongest silicone hose availible.

I had to make the cut on the pipe about 6 inches from the header connection...which may yield higher temps?

Old 12-19-2007 | 08:26 PM
Mine is ok, I used heater hose up top - just checked it - Hell , the RTV still looks fresh where the EGR enters the header. It's been about 4 months since my longtube install. If that leaked, I would know it..

Old 12-19-2007 | 08:32 PM
where did you get the hose from?

Old 12-19-2007 | 10:00 PM
I picked it up at Home Depot believe it or not. I didn't buy it for the EGR pipe. I purchased 5' of 5/8 & 3/4 heater hose for an intake mod I was doing at the time.. The piece I have on the EGR pipe is only about 2" long w/a clamp on each side. I didn't know if it would hold up or not .. - It has so far.

I'll take a pic of the mod if it will help. Say the word.

Old 12-20-2007 | 12:40 PM
|
Yes, the closer to the intake manifold, the cooler the egr pipe is. My connection is only 5-6" from the header where there's a lot more heat. I have tried heater hose, and that failed instantly. I then tried Neoprene reinforced hose (from Napa) and that held up an extra 5 miles until it burnt up.

I have found the solution to this though...well I have to see how well it works first of course. www.pciinc.com carries the high temp silicone repair hose, which was actually designed for this. I spoke with John S. there and he helped out a lot.

It was an extensive amount of searching/hunting for this type of hose, but I believe I have now found it!

Old 12-20-2007 | 12:52 PM
please post a pic of that mod if u can. i am putting on headers right now and the egr pipe doesnt match up very well and its leaking so i dont really know what to do

Old 12-20-2007 | 07:46 PM
Heres what it looks like without heat wrap. -

What it looks like now -

I gave it a good yank , I didn't trust it. Yea , that's not the way to do this. - I'll flare up a section if the local hardware has something the fits nice on the pipe . I shouldn't have to add anything to it .. Might have to go with a 3/4" union or Compression Fitting w/brass ferrels maybe..

I couldn't find sh^t on the website posted above for my model - Just pre- 90 model parts -EGR tubes without DPFE leads . What , do you have to call tehm or something? Are they still in buisness? Don't they update there website?

Last edited by jbrew; 12-21-2007 at 06:32 AM.
Old 12-20-2007 | 07:46 PM
|
Sure, I should get the mod. done next week. Basically I purchased some headers that had the egr fitting in a totally different place, so the modifications started there, as I had to weld a new bung into the headers. Then the egr pipe ended up being an inch too long, and a little off; so I cut it.

Anyhow, I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 12-20-2007 | 08:20 PM
That sucks - LT Bung locations worked out for me luckily - I needed a 2" hole saw cut thru the heat sheilds on both sides , other than that - it wasn't bad.

Old 12-21-2007 | 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by jhedges15
please post a pic of that mod if u can. i am putting on headers right now and the egr pipe doesn't match up very well and its leaking so i dont really know what to do

There yuh go. - That was a temporary fix (I learned today) - I'm glad I went out to get a few shots of it for yuh - The hose felt a little limber - not as rigid as it did when I installed 4 or 5 months ago..

I want to put a union in place of the hose - that's a good spot for one, the big bottom nut wll rust up quick .. Weld, braze or even sweat a fitting on the high side and flare the other like NYfordguy mentioned earlier.. - That will depend on avalible hardware..

It doesn't get all that hot where the rubber hose was holding the two sections together . The heads and headers divert allot of it - Like a BIG a$$ heat sink - It still gets warm , but she' the hottest at the collectors , around the O2's ..

Good Luck fellas - You need patients installing headers - (long tube's ) on these trucks - I didn't have enough on a few occasions , but , I had to build the exhaust without a welder - It sucked!! - But it was worth it, you'll like the power ..

Last edited by jbrew; 12-21-2007 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-21-2007 | 03:07 AM
|
Brass union fitting may work. Let me know how that goes, and it's availibility? Anyhow, the pciinc.com website wont have anything specific for your truck, but what you can use on there is there silicone repair kits for egr and air pipes, or their flex tubing sections for these types of repairs.

thanks again for the pics! I'll let you know how well the silicone hose holds up when I install it.

Quick Reply: EGR Pipe Hose!