ordered the volant

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ordered the volant

Hey everybody! I just ordered the Volant CAI with the airbox. I'll let you know how it works and throw up some pictures when I install it. I went with this over the AF1 because it has the airbox, which seems like a good idea if you're looking to draw cold air into the motor and not the engine bay air.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:17 PM
Did you get the powercore filter?

Old 01-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by jake4373
Did you get the powercore filter?
I think so, if that is the one that comes with it. I bought it from autoanything and the only option was enclosed or open.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:39 PM
Sigh..

Old 01-06-2008, 01:15 AM
Originally Posted by TexEdition
Sigh..
uhh ohh.. what is the sigh for?

Old 01-06-2008, 01:52 AM
Originally Posted by bjk2
uhh ohh.. what is the sigh for?
LOL.. the sighing is just for the idea somehow a box with a few holes drilled into it is much better than the stock intake.

Yeah, the Volant, or S&B, or K&N, or several others are pretty to look at, look nice under the hood.

But take a second to reflect upon what the device is doing to your A/F ratios. Will it cause your engine to run lean? Will you even know without getting on a dyno?

If you have a pre '04 engine you're probably fine with whatever "cai" you want to run. The '04+ engines are a bit more finicky about running lean. You may never see a CEL, but still be wrecking your engine.

These "Cold Air Intakes" are really nothing of the sort. The proper name should be "Increased Airflow Intakes"..

Hey man, I'm drunk, gonna hit the sack... do a search on here, lots of good info..

this one works for me, the air is so cold soooooo cold... LOL

Last edited by TexEdition; 01-06-2008 at 01:54 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:13 PM
I understand where you are coming from. This truck has the exact same motor as my 98 mustang did, but I had a fenderwell cold air intake on that, that actually did increase power and flowed more air as you said. That car went on the dyno and it was not too lean, it was still in the good zone. The truck is a 98, so shouldn't need a tune running just this intake. It probably will go on the dyno comes this spring... Just to see if everything is in check. I agree, it isn't much better than stock, but overall every little bit counts. oh and maybe it'll sound cooler? haha. anyways I wish these had dumber computers, like my 91 mustang so it wouldn't need to be tuned everytime we mod. on that car the computer would just adjust with normal old school re-timing, thus running like a raped ape once it was all in check.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by TexEdition
LOL.. the sighing is just for the idea somehow a box with a few holes drilled into it is much better than the stock intake.

Yeah, the Volant, or S&B, or K&N, or several others are pretty to look at, look nice under the hood.

But take a second to reflect upon what the device is doing to your A/F ratios. Will it cause your engine to run lean? Will you even know without getting on a dyno?
you do realize the the AF1 intake does the EXACT same thing to the A/Fs that the S&B K&N and Volant do...

i think any intake is pretty to look at, and those ones you listed actually perform quite well. The K&N, for example, has a lifetime warranty with similar power gains as the AF1 3". K&N sure has a hell of a lot of confidence in their intake to provide that kind of coverage.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:15 PM
As I have posted elswhere, and as identified by GM engineers in the late
1960's, every 10 degree reduction of air entering the engine increases HP by 1%.

Now I am not engineer, but it would appear to me that a direct air feed from outside the engine compartment will provide cooler air than from a system that feeds air from within the engine compartment. My semi-educated opinion that most of what are billed as Cold Air Intakes provide somewhat cooler air with less restriction resulting in some increased HP from both sources (temp & less restrictoin). While I've not installed a Volant, from what I see it's only logical to believe it's more efficient (from a temperature reduction standpoint) than the intakes that feed from the engine compartment.

I've installed aftermarket CAI units on an Expedition, my '03 SCREW and my wife's Charger. They all look pretty much the same, they all draw from the compartment and I do believe their effiency at creating HP would increase with an outside feed.

Personally, I'd buy a Volant for my '06 4.6 if they made one. Hope they will soon.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSTX
As I have posted elswhere, and as identified by GM engineers in the late
1960's, every 10 degree reduction of air entering the engine increases HP by 1%.

Now I am not engineer, but it would appear to me that a direct air feed from outside the engine compartment will provide cooler air than from a system that feeds air from within the engine compartment. My semi-educated opinion that most of what are billed as Cold Air Intakes provide somewhat cooler air with less restriction resulting in some increased HP from both sources (temp & less restrictoin). While I've not installed a Volant, from what I see it's only logical to believe it's more efficient (from a temperature reduction standpoint) than the intakes that feed from the engine compartment.

I've installed aftermarket CAI units on an Expedition, my '03 SCREW and my wife's Charger. They all look pretty much the same, they all draw from the compartment and I do believe their effiency at creating HP would increase with an outside feed.

Personally, I'd buy a Volant for my '06 4.6 if they made one. Hope they will soon.
Thus my purchase of the Volant summed up with logic. WOOH

Old 01-06-2008, 04:54 PM
?

Thus my purchase of the Volant summed up with logic. WOOH
mgd fan will post here that as long as you don't drive your truck above 4 k rpms the power won't fall off compared to a af1

Old 01-06-2008, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by openclasspro#11
mgd fan will post here that as long as you don't drive your truck above 4 k rpms the power won't fall off compared to a af1

so if i keep it under 4k the power will be the same as the AF1? but if I go above 4k the AF1 will perform better?

Old 01-06-2008, 06:02 PM
?

so if i keep it under 4k the power will be the same as the AF1? but if I go above 4k the AF1 will perform better?
i witnessed it firsthand at the troyer dyno days last april- a member installed an air force-1 on the day and back to back dyno runs the air force one was superior at 4k rpms to redline

Old 01-06-2008, 11:07 PM
ehh oh well, I'm sure I'll be happy. I really just like the fact that the filter element is covered up, and that is the main reason I went volant over AF1. Also I got free shipping and $20 off from Autoanything.com, so it isn't a huge deal. can't wait for it to arrive so I can throw it on~!

Quick Reply: ordered the volant