Installing my exhaust today

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing my exhaust today

I got a Magnaflow 4" round 14" muffler, 2.5 in/out, for Christmas that I plan to install this afternoon. I am simply going to remove the stock catback, clamp on an 18" extension, then the muffler, then a turndown.

Anybody have problems getting the stock catback out in one piece? It looks a little rusted at the clamped joint, so I'm thinking I may need a sawzall to ease removal? Any tips or advice?

I will try and take pics along the way and post up tomorrow (possible a sound clip as well if my camera will take a decent clip). If all goes well I should have a nice DIY 14" dumped Maggie installed for about $80 total

Old 01-08-2008, 10:22 AM
I've always just cut off what I'm replacing, I've tried in the past to unclamp and removed but usually everything is so rusted and distorted from clamping and wear and tear that it was a waste to even try (i.e have to cut it anyway). Hows your patience level?

Old 01-08-2008, 10:28 AM
I'm usually pretty patient, but since I plan to just junk the stock exhaust anyway I think the sawzall will be used pretty quickly. The truck has been through 4 Massachusetts winters now, so I think all the salt and snow will have rusted the joints pretty good.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:49 AM
is it going to be dumped or what? or are you running new pipe? if just adding the muffler to the stock pipe, hack the stock muffler out and add some pipe to make your maggie fit and call it a day. or just cut the stocker out bolt the maggie up and hang it and throw on a turn down.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by scottbigred
is it going to be dumped or what? or are you running new pipe? if just adding the muffler to the stock pipe, hack the stock muffler out and add some pipe to make your maggie fit and call it a day. or just cut the stocker out bolt the maggie up and hang it and throw on a turn down.
It is going to be dumped as I said above. The 18" pipe I am adding is to push the much smaller Maggie far enough back that it dumps behind the cab.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Best advice is to hook a strap to the system and pull on it from the back of the truck. Mine was a PITA to get off. Just lube up the hangers well and kick and pull on the thing. It will come off.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:42 PM
I have the same exact muffler on the way! I would be really grateful if you could get a soundclip! My truck has no cats, so I am going to just hook mine up and dump it as well.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by renaud
It is going to be dumped as I said above. The 18" pipe I am adding is to push the much smaller Maggie far enough back that it dumps behind the cab.

oops didnt catch that sorry. then yeah easiest way is to just sawzall it and put your pipe and muffler on and hang it. maybe try getting it to around the same location as the stock muffler to reuse the stock hangers?

Old 01-08-2008, 04:20 PM
the only problem i had getting mine off was the rust but i sprayed pb blaster on everything for about 3 days and it came right off. it is much easier to just unbolt the hangers then take them off the exhaust. mine came out in 1 piece.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:45 AM
Success!

I sprayed the clamped joint and all hangers with PB Blaster and it wouldn't budge, so I unbolted the three stock hangers. A few good kicks on the muffler and the hole thing slid towards the back. A little wrestling and I got it all out in one piece.

I cut two pieces of pipe to get everything where I wanted. About 16" of pipe before the muffler gets it postioned under the stock heat shield. Then I used about 8" of pipe before my turndown so it exits after the cab.

I used one clamp right near the turndown to support everything. I actually bolted one of the stock clamps up using the two bolts that hold the heatshield in place and it positioned it perfectly. Using the stock locations would not have worked. I'll try and get pics soon.

The sound is nice. A bit quiter than I expected considering its their shortest and its dumped. I know it needs a few weeks to break-in so we'll see if it changes. The tone is great driving around town. I haven't been on the highway yet so can't comment on the drone.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by renaud
Success!

I sprayed the clamped joint and all hangers with PB Blaster and it wouldn't budge, so I unbolted the three stock hangers. A few good kicks on the muffler and the hole thing slid towards the back. A little wrestling and I got it all out in one piece.

I cut two pieces of pipe to get everything where I wanted. About 16" of pipe before the muffler gets it postioned under the stock heat shield. Then I used about 8" of pipe before my turndown so it exits after the cab.

I used one clamp right near the turndown to support everything. I actually bolted one of the stock clamps up using the two bolts that hold the heatshield in place and it positioned it perfectly. Using the stock locations would not have worked. I'll try and get pics soon.

The sound is nice. A bit quiter than I expected considering its their shortest and its dumped. I know it needs a few weeks to break-in so we'll see if it changes. The tone is great driving around town. I haven't been on the highway yet so can't comment on the drone.
Did you ever get the sound clip?

Old 02-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by 2005lariatky
Did you ever get the sound clip?
I tried, but my only recording device is a digital camera that takes 30 second video clips. The sound is horrible and you can't even here the exhaust.

I'll see if I can borrow a digital camcorder from somebody.

Greg

Quick Reply: Installing my exhaust today