OBX install starting tonight....

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008 | 08:08 PM
|
Originally Posted by jbrew
Nice! Your 0-60 is pretty damn close to my run. You'll smoke me with a tune.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jbrew393...88043316047874
Try a 0-100 run sometime, I went that high as its much less affected by wheelspin than 60 so gives a better indication of power gains before/after. Maybe we can get a few others to do it too, would make for some interesting comparisons.

I hope to get my wideband installed this week so I can check the a/f and get the retune process underway, will be interesting to see where its at.

Old 02-18-2008 | 08:32 PM
I really like the sound of these headers.. I wanted to buy them one year ago when they were $350 but nobody on here had reviews on them and i didnt want to be the first to try them.. Now they have gone up in price to and i'm not very good at saving money so who knows how long it will be for me before i buy headers anyways..lol

Can't wait to see the numbers after the re-tune!

Old 02-19-2008 | 09:39 PM
I called Pauls High Performance today, (located an hour south of me) about custom tunes for my truck. I mentioned the mods i will be doing before the tuner, and mentioned the OBX LT's.

Paul's comment towards them was that "they only last 3-5 years".

How can this be if the headers are stainless?

Old 02-19-2008 | 10:33 PM
Paul know's his stuff, but he believes in the expensive stuff. He may be referring to the weld's I'd guess, unless he was thinking the Pacesetter's, who knows. We've dealt with him in the past and they don't steer you wrong. His tunes are really good too, got some impressive numbers for my dad's Cobra.

As far as the OBX's go, my brother has them on his ZX2 2.0 and they fit excellent, weld's were good and the thing still does not leak or nothing. He sold it to a buddy, it got rolled and he bought it back cheap. No leaks. I myself just have a problem not buying the American made product. If those OBX's were USA made, I'd be sitting on a set now, but that's just me personally, I have nothing bad to say about OBX. Who know's long term, but for now, sounds like 01Roush's is good to go.

Old 02-19-2008 | 11:00 PM
if you want um made in the USA get some pacesetters never had a prob with there shorttys and the longtubes installed pretty easy! and they are made in the USA.

Old 02-19-2008 | 11:05 PM
Truck of the Month
those OBX's look pretty good installed

Old 02-19-2008 | 11:47 PM
He must have been thinking Pacesetter or he wanted to sell you something.

Old 02-20-2008 | 10:08 AM
|
Originally Posted by 05HarleySD4x4
Paul's comment towards them was that "they only last 3-5 years".
Guess I'll find out....I would be quite surprised though. I also always apply a grain of salt to things said about a product by someone who sells competing products......I wouldn't expect them to talk up something that sells far cheaper than what they want you to buy from them, and you never know whats just heresay.... Just look at some of the crap people post on this forum about the 5.4 headers having cheap quality, bad welds, thin tubes, etc.....

I'm not worried....

Old 02-20-2008 | 10:37 AM
Only ****ty thing about OBX is you're $850 into them after cats, O2 extenders, exhaust gaskets, welding, etc. I'd like to find a used set of Dynatech's or something. I did find them for $1,100 w/ free shipping, but still. DAMN.

Old 02-21-2008 | 11:42 PM
|
Originally Posted by Jackal
Only ****ty thing about OBX is you're $850 into them after cats, O2 extenders, exhaust gaskets, welding, etc. I'd like to find a used set of Dynatech's or something. I did find them for $1,100 w/ free shipping, but still. DAMN.
What you call a ****ty thing is what I call a good thing, I'm in ~$830 instead of $1400..... I looked for a used set of Dynatechs too, but everytime I saw an ad they were long gone...

A little update....clocked a 0-60 run of 6.89 on my way home from work.... Not a lot of traction on 15 degree roads so there's a little to be gained there, but then again it'll make a bunch less power when its 80 and not 15.....

Got my Innovate wideband installed tonight, a/f is sitting right on 12.1:1 at WOT. Got my datalogging sent off to Troyer, but lord only knows how long that will take.... When I get the tunes back I'll get to a dyno.

Wasn't thinking, shoulda put my camera around in front of my side exit exhaust, sound is a little muted but you get the idea....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J3TRyHyGAg

Datalogging run....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE5bdV2pros

Old 02-21-2008 | 11:49 PM
NICE!!! Love the vids man.

I've ordered my O2 extenders and plan on ordering the OBX ASAP. I was going to do it before bed tonight, but the guy selling them for $450 doesn't have any listed now.

How did your AF's look before the OBX's? I filled out my custom worksheets today and was told 8 weeks.

Which Flowmaster is that? Any particular reason you went with FM over Magnaflow? I have always been a FM 40 man, (if not straight pipes) but I'm considering running the smallest Maggie. Whichever is loudest. (Assuming longtubes with straight pipe will be a LOT louder than no pre-cats and straight pipe dumped.)

Old 02-22-2008 | 12:44 PM
|
How did your AF's look before the OBX's?
11.5:1, so the longtubes leaned it out a little but still some room for improvement.

I filled out my custom worksheets today and was told 8 weeks.
What a bunch of crap. I'd seriously cancel and go elsewhere, there are plenty of folks who can tune just fine.

Which Flowmaster is that? Any particular reason you went with FM over Magnaflow?
Not sure what number it would be, I'm used to 2-chamber and 3-chamber from years with Mustangs. Its a 3-chamber, nice deep tone but resonates some now at cruise. It was on the truck when I bought it, may change it down the road.

Old 02-22-2008 | 02:07 PM
I know, but I'm a loyal Troyer customer so...

Old 02-22-2008 | 02:16 PM
|
I know, but I'm a loyal Troyer customer so...
I'm not.... I bought my XCal2 and fans from them, they seem like a good business and Mike seems like a good guy, but they are also telling me 8 weeks to get an update for my tunes. Thats complete bull****. I'm waiting to hear back for sure and if thats the time frame I'm either getting SCT tunes from someone else (if I can get it unlocked) or I'm selling the XCal2 and getting something else. 8 weeks my ***....

Old 02-22-2008 | 02:25 PM
I think it's more like 6 - 8 weeks, but they're erroring on the safe side. It's crap, but it just shows how sought after his tuning is and I have the time to spare so I'm not worried about it. I do feel for you though. Luckily, having gone through this before I planned on the delay, so I'm getting my sheets in early enough. Keep us updated. Are you running Mike's custom tunes now?

Quick Reply: OBX install starting tonight....