OBX install starting tonight....

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008 | 02:03 PM
|
Originally Posted by jbrew
Congrats!! - Keep an eye on those upstreams - Running rich is hell on them, they foul out pretty quick.
Good thought, but no problem here. Anything part throttle hovers right around 14.7:1, and WOT of 12:1 isn't rich enough to cause any problem, just enough to lose a little power.

Originally Posted by Jackal
Any idea why that is? Shouldn't the rear O2's be located in approx. the same location in relation to each other?
Doesn't really make any difference, the rears do nothing as far as the tune anyway.

Old 02-25-2008 | 11:32 PM
|
Some updates.... I've got a dyno appt. wednesday at 1:00. 'Before' numbers were 238/309 with engine warm and a/f at 11.5:1.

I was a little rich now at 12.1:1 so I leaned it out as much as the XCal2 allows (4%), which brought it to mid 12s and seems to have picked up some power, more info on that below.... I also wanted to try adding a degree or two of timing, but TP has apparently deemed that I shouldn't be allowed to do so, even though I paid for this device largely because of user adjustability, because the only option was to remove timing, the ability to add timing that it should have appears to have been shut off.... Anybody need to ask me if that makes me happy?

Made a couple runs to 60 and 100 with the a/f leaned out, but I realized I can't compare directly to previous numbers for the following reason: When I re-downloaded the tune yesterday to make changes I entered the proper revs/mile for my winter wheels and tires as I wasnt sure what it would use otherwise. When I put the winter wheels/tires on a couple months ago I didn't change the revs/mile from my Roush wheels. The difference isn't much, but it makes direct comparisons inaccurate. However, the number thats in there now is the right one so what I recorded tonight should be fairly accurate (as much as hand timing can be....).

Made two runs clicking at 60 and 100, recorded 6.98/17.15 and 6.71/16.96. Not bad for an n/a whale...but still pretty low temps (33 tonight) and it'll probably be a good 1/2 second slower to 60 when it gets hot out. Gonna have to add more power at that point.....

Old 02-26-2008 | 09:32 AM
Awesome, can't wait to see the new numbers. My kit is on the way.

Can you confirm that the cats are 2 1/2" rather than 2 1/4"?

Old 02-26-2008 | 12:30 PM
|
Can you confirm that the cats are 2 1/2" rather than 2 1/4"?
Yes, 2-1/2".

Old 02-29-2008 | 04:32 PM
|
Sorry no dyno results this week, had a meeting come up at work that screwed up my trip. Wednesdays work best for me since I have a job site meeting that puts me halfway to the dyno (dyno is two hours away) but they are booked next wednesday afternoon so I might have to do something different....

TP confirmed that they are about 8 weeks out on tuning, even for an existing tuning customer, so I'll be selling the XCalII and getting a Predator from a friend who owns a shop. Any opinions on what a (barely) used XCalII is worth??

Old 02-29-2008 | 05:01 PM
esf
I doubt anybody cares how much it was used but rather the fact that it was used at all. I saw new ones on ebay going for $380 and Troyer sells it for $449 w/tunes. I probably wouldn't pay more than $250 for a used one. After you get 3 tunes or so, you're already up to the new price without tunes. Good luck.

Why the Predator besides the obvious reason that your friend owns a shop that I would only assume is recommending it and at a good price? Why not check out VMP tuning to see if Justin can get you a tune faster?

Old 02-29-2008 | 06:33 PM
Yea, don't lose out on the Xcal-II becuase you're pissed. If you do decide to sell, at a price cheaper than getting new from Troyer with tunes, after having to shell out another $200 for his tunes, let me know. A guy at work has been wanting one and I told him I thought I knew of one that might be for sale soon. I assume troyer is getting $200 or so for tunes from a non-existing customer whose already paid for tunes once...???

Old 03-01-2008 | 12:17 AM
|
Originally Posted by esf
I doubt anybody cares how much it was used but rather the fact that it was used at all. I saw new ones on ebay going for $380 and Troyer sells it for $449 w/tunes. I probably wouldn't pay more than $250 for a used one. After you get 3 tunes or so, you're already up to the new price without tunes. Good luck.

Why the Predator besides the obvious reason that your friend owns a shop that I would only assume is recommending it and at a good price? Why not check out VMP tuning to see if Justin can get you a tune faster?
I think $250 shipped is where I'll start, see how that goes. My friend has Diablo, not SCT, thats why a Predator. They do the same thing so I really don't care.

I think there are plenty of places that are $100, including Modular Depot who has some good guys...

http://www.modulardepot.com/product_...141017e39b654a

Yea, don't lose out on the Xcal-II becuase you're pissed. If you do decide to sell, at a price cheaper than getting new from Troyer with tunes, after having to shell out another $200 for his tunes, let me know. A guy at work has been wanting one and I told him I thought I knew of one that might be for sale soon. I assume troyer is getting $200 or so for tunes from a non-existing customer whose already paid for tunes once...???
Don't lose out on what? A Predator does the same thing. I don't know what TP charges, don't care... If someone is stuck on having them do the tuning go ahead and buy a new one and wait your 8 weeks, but what far too many on this board don't seem to get is that there are dozens of good tuners out there. Folks get way too caught up in what they read on one message board and just decide its gospel...... A lot of those "TP is the only way to go!" posts are probably made by guys who have never had tuning done anywhere else. I'm not knocking Mike, I'm sure he's quite good, but if they've oversold themselves so bad that they can't service customers any better than an 8 week wait thats their problem, not mine...... It would have cost me $60 to have my tunes updated and that will cover a lot of my loss when switching to the Predator (yes, I'm getting a helluva deal....), plus I'll have updates probably the next day whenever i want....

Old 03-01-2008 | 07:41 AM
esf
Hey, just let us know how it runs and how you like it.

Old 03-01-2008 | 04:55 PM
You mean TP only wanted $60 to update your tunes?

Old 03-03-2008 | 12:08 AM
|
You mean TP only wanted $60 to update your tunes?
I'm not sure what you mean by only since I bought the tuner from them in the first place, but I don't have any problem with the price.

Old 03-03-2008 | 08:54 AM
Looks like I need to call em. Thanks.

Quick Reply: OBX install starting tonight....