Corsa won't stay tight.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corsa won't stay tight.....

I re-torqued the bolts on the system 3 times and I'm still having a problem with it working itself loose. Where the Corsa parts connect to each other just needed to be re-torqued once and they're still tight. The problem area is where the Corsa connects to the original system behind the cats. I've torqued that to the recommended 45 lbs but it won't stay tight. Seems like the whole system slides to the rear of the truck. The hangers haven't worked themselves through the rubber grommets, yet. Any other Corsa owners have that problem? One more thing, any tips on keeping the stainless tips clean and shiny? The road salt and cinders used to combat the snow and ice storms around here are really hard on them.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Chisum
I re-torqued the bolts on the system 3 times and I'm still having a problem with it working itself loose. Where the Corsa parts connect to each other just needed to be re-torqued once and they're still tight. The problem area is where the Corsa connects to the original system behind the cats. I've torqued that to the recommended 45 lbs but it won't stay tight. Seems like the whole system slides to the rear of the truck. The hangers haven't worked themselves through the rubber grommets, yet. Any other Corsa owners have that problem? One more thing, any tips on keeping the stainless tips clean and shiny? The road salt and cinders used to combat the snow and ice storms around here are really hard on them.
Best fix is to weld the system. Clamps are not reliable, if you insisit on the clamps, maybe try some lock washers. Get a good chrome polish and keep on the tips, in the salt and whatever else they use there, you will have to clean it very often to keep the nice shine

Old 02-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Suspended
For SS tips it is always important to stay up on polishing them. Get a true, abrasive metal polish and really work on them about once a month or so in harsh conditions. When stuff builds up and sits it can sort of burn in and then you can't get it off.

As for the clamps, try a high-temp lock-tight?

Old 02-24-2008, 05:16 PM
try bar keepers friend, it is simply amazing especially on chrome tips, my mom has been using it to clean the grout in our kitchen and it looks brand new

Old 02-24-2008, 06:24 PM
use some red loctite or tac weld the nuts to the threads on the clamp

Old 02-24-2008, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by CRF250rider1000
use some red loctite or tac weld the nuts to the threads on the clamp
X2, plus throw some lock washers on all the bolts if they aren't there already.

Also, those hangers aint gonna work themselves through the grommets on their own. Put a little dab of grease, or even vaseline, on the grommets and tap those hangers through. That actually may be the reason everything wants to back out, that the hangers aren't secure.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:57 AM
I'm going to be installing my Corsa system just as soon as the weather breaks. Are you saying that you're re-torquing the clamp at the convertor to 45 lbs, over and over, or that 45 lbs isn't enough to keep it on there?

Also, is red Loctite ok for hi-temps? I checked a bottle and didn't see any temp rating. BTW, they're all red bottles now. The medium adhesion version just has a blue stripe on the front.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by 051fdrof
I'm going to be installing my Corsa system just as soon as the weather breaks. Are you saying that you're re-torquing the clamp at the convertor to 45 lbs, over and over, or that 45 lbs isn't enough to keep it on there?

Also, is red Loctite ok for hi-temps? I checked a bottle and didn't see any temp rating. BTW, they're all red bottles now. The medium adhesion version just has a blue stripe on the front.
I not sure if 45 lbs is enough to keep it tight. Sorry for the lousy explanation. The problem doesn't seem to be that the nuts work themselves loose. While I'm under the truck I can grab the muffler and ever so slightly turn the system that it moves where the Corsa is slid over the top of the stock pipe. That clamp doesn't seem to get tight enough to hold it in place. Would it be possible to tack weld the Corsa pipe to the stock pipe? Oh, and thanks for everyones input.........

Old 02-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Says here that the clamps get torqued to 65 lbs after a few hundred miles. It mentions anti-seize but no loc-tite.

Here's an excellent tutorial. This one mentions using the factory double-bolt clamp at the converter. Is that what you're doing?

Old 02-25-2008, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by 051fdrof
Says here that the clamps get torqued to 65 lbs after a few hundred miles. It mentions anti-seize but no loc-tite.

Here's an excellent tutorial. This one mentions using the factory double-bolt clamp at the converter. Is that what you're doing?
The directions that came with my system don't say anything about re-torque to 65lbs. Hmmm. Have to give that a try. I have an intermediate pipe between the cat and the Corsa. That pipe is slid into the outlet pipe and held on with a single bolt factory clamp. No mention of loc-tite here either, just anti-seize.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:03 PM
Your truck doesn't have this clamp?

The picture is from an '06.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Yeah, that clamp is at the front of the intermediate pipe where the y-pipe connects, just like that pic, but at the back of the intermediate pipe where it slides into the Corsa is a single bolt,torca style, factory clamp.

Quick Reply: Corsa won't stay tight.....