JBA Headers and Catback Audio/Video

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool JBA Headers and Catback Audio/Video

I've seen a bunch of threads around here lately about: "what kind of exhaust", "what kind of headers", "what's your exhaust sound like", etc. So I thought I'd give my !

I shot the video when the truck was cold, so there is a bit of condensation that comes out when I rev at first. It is also louder when it's cold, so it gets quieter as the truck warms up. I did a quick 0-60 at the end of the vid. I didn't load the brakes or anything, my "time" wasn't important. Enjoy!!!

Exhaust Sounds

BTW, I have JBA Titanium-Ceramic Shorty Cat4ward headers and a JBA SS SIDO Catback exhaust - no CAI yet. I'm rolling 33" BFG's with 4.10ls and an Xcal II tuned 4.6. Thanks!!

Old 02-25-2008, 10:29 PM
I was thinkin about just getting it all done the headers all the way back, but i heard from a few of my buddys, and my mechanic that headers are just a waste of time with leaking and i believe he said i wont get much more output with headers but i think it would help the sound... is 1500 a ok estimate for headers, highflow cats and magniflow mufflers?

Old 02-25-2008, 10:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shorty headers are a waste of money. longtubes gained me 30hp/35ftlbs but i had cams. that was with my old engine.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:10 PM
Question Waste of Money....

Originally Posted by built54
shorty headers are a waste of money. longtubes gained me 30hp/35ftlbs but i had cams. that was with my old engine.
I don't know what you based that on, but I have the dyno to prove otherwise:

My truck in StreetTrucks Magazine:

Old 02-25-2008, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by Typow07
I was thinkin about just getting it all done the headers all the way back, but i heard from a few of my buddys, and my mechanic that headers are just a waste of time with leaking and i believe he said i wont get much more output with headers but i think it would help the sound... is 1500 a ok estimate for headers, highflow cats and magniflow mufflers?
Sorry Typo, didn't mean to skip over your post.
The question I have is who makes the headers? If it is a reputable brand and $1500 is the installed price for all, then it sounds fair. I would check with some of the local shops though. Each shop has it's own hourly rate. Do not get it done at a midas, meineke, whatever. Get it done right at a performance shop that knows what they're doing.

I've heard that from a lot of "mechanics", but in my experience "technicians" will have a different opinion; Not pulling punches here, but mechanics usually see the worst case scenario of performance parts. Ie, things that weren't installed correctly, sub par products that were not serviced properly. If you get a crappy set of headers they will rust, warp, whatever, and the seal will leak - yes that can happen. Go the extra mile and get them ceramic coated, get them installed by a technician, and get them serviced - meaning torque them and then have them retorqued as recommended.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i believe that gain was made from your exhaust, not the headers.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:57 AM
Sounds great either way, as long as it's enjoyed.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by built54
i believe that gain was made from your exhaust, not the headers.
You're just full of all sorts of opinions aren't you? Anything to substantiate that claim?

Headers are part of the exhaust system

Old 02-26-2008, 01:06 PM
does the honestly have to turn into a fight over whos right and whos wrong every time???

Old 02-26-2008, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by scottbigred
does the honestly have to turn into a fight over whos right and whos wrong every time???
I posted audio so that people could get an answer to the threads they have been starting. I get flamed?

Old 02-26-2008, 01:32 PM
Ya its pretty much how this site works. No matter what, your getting slammed. Its part of the fun ! At least thats what i have learned through my time here.

I also have been debating between Longs and Shorts. Living in CA sucks. The Long tubes would give me the biggest gain, but wouldn't be legal. Emission wise, could I get them to pass ? I know the guy doing the visual inspection, so he would "overlook" them, but I still have to past the "clean" test. What do you think ?

Also, c0ckac0la: Is that Dyno result actually your truck on the dyno ? Or is that JBA's personal "dyno results" ? And in your opinion, how the improvement actually feel ?

Old 02-26-2008, 01:43 PM
jba's dyno pulls

Old 02-26-2008, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
Ya its pretty much how this site works. No matter what, your getting slammed. Its part of the fun ! At least thats what i have learned through my time here.

I also have been debating between Longs and Shorts. Living in CA sucks. The Long tubes would give me the biggest gain, but wouldn't be legal. Emission wise, could I get them to pass ? I know the guy doing the visual inspection, so he would "overlook" them, but I still have to past the "clean" test. What do you think ?

Also, c0ckac0la: Is that Dyno result actually your truck on the dyno ? Or is that JBA's personal "dyno results" ? And in your opinion, how the improvement actually feel ?
I have had plenty of positive reactions in the past. Some of the new guys around here talk a fair game and think their ***** doesn't stink because they have 5000 posts - you know what I'm talking about...cough *bible thread* cough

From what I've you can get LT headers if you can get the O2 sensor in the right spot. The emissions system has to function completely to be legal, and with LT headers the lines are either too short, or non-existent. I'm not absolutely certain about that, so I'd check with a performance shop that sell LT headers.

Those were my actual slips. Granted they were all nice and pretty in HTML, but the info came straight from the dyno. You can check my first couple threads on it if you want more info about the install:
JBA headers & SIDO Install w' StreetTrucks Magazine Article (long)
My Truck is in a Magazine!!!

TECH: 4.6 Ford Power

Old 02-26-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
And in your opinion, how the improvement actually feel ?
The sound is fantastic! Not too loud, but really sporty. The tires can break loose quite easily even after the 33" BFG's - hence the burnout on pg 1 of the mag article.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:54 PM
I know exactly what you mean ! Although that thread was pretty amusing. It is really fascinating to see what BS people are willing to swallow !

Wow, if those are really your passes, then I am surprised. Pretty impressive for the shorties !

And having your truck in a mag is just plain sweet. I know I am jealous! How did you pull that one off ?

Quick Reply: JBA Headers and Catback Audio/Video