next best intake besides AF1?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008 | 09:45 AM
|
next best intake besides AF1?

Which one do you think it is?

Old 02-29-2008 | 10:28 AM
esf
In my opinion, they all are very similar in performance. Where the vary is whether they're closed in or open and exposed to the heat of the engine. If it's open it's going to suck in warmer air. After discussing this with the owner of Kat Kustoms out of Ohio, who build some of the nicest trucks ever (see Dominator on their website) I was told AFe was a really good brand. I was also told that K&N isn't the best way to go because the oil used tends to foul up the MAF. I went with an AFe Stage 2 and have been very happy. It comes with a heat shield to prevent some of the heat the engine produces from being sucked in.

Old 02-29-2008 | 03:23 PM
AFE also uses an oiled filter... unless you payed the extra four their dry filter.

I tend to like S&B intakes; AF-1 uses S&B filters to begin with, so they must be decent. Plus they are pretty cost-effective.

Old 02-29-2008 | 03:27 PM
Suspended
My vote goes to S&B. Many filter companies use S&B filters and the quality of the S&B kits is top notch. I am offering $5 off of S&B intakes right now and you can even get free custom engraving (if your intake has a clear lid).

Let me know if you have any questions,

Alon

http://www.modbargains.com/product.a..._id=SB_F150_MW

Old 02-29-2008 | 03:33 PM
i like the aem. they have a dry filter and the best filtration

Old 02-29-2008 | 03:59 PM
Former Sponsor
We sell the AEM, and they also have the dry filter. I'm sure everyone knows of AEM's reputation in the industry.

http://www.tirerack.com/intake/intake_all.jsp

Old 02-29-2008 | 04:27 PM
esf
Originally Posted by Tornadom
AFE also uses an oiled filter... unless you payed the extra four their dry filter.

I tend to like S&B intakes; AF-1 uses S&B filters to begin with, so they must be decent. Plus they are pretty cost-effective.
I should have been more clear. I know the AFe also has an oiled filter. It's K&Ns actual oil that has caused problems as it was explained to me. Obviously not everyone has had the problem. In actuality, probably a small percentage have had problems but it's something to keep in mind.

Old 02-29-2008 | 05:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

K&N.

hard to beat great power, a quality design, good sound, and a lifetime warranty to back it all up...

Old 02-29-2008 | 05:16 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
K&N.

hard to beat great power, a quality design, good sound, and a lifetime warranty to back it all up...
S&B has the lifetime warranty as well... just wanted to throw that in there.

Either way, Let me know which intake you would like and I can get you a great deal.

Old 03-14-2008 | 03:01 AM
Ok guys, so what is the big difference between oiled or dry and enclosed or open?

Old 03-14-2008 | 03:16 AM
Why in God's name would you even want to know what is "second-best"?

It's not like the AF1 is any more expensive than others..

The myth of an oiled element being a pain in the *** is just that - a myth.

I'll not knock any of the "cai's" out there, they pretty much all do about what they claim, they all pretty much look sweet under the hood. Just stay away from anything that's gonna lean out your engine.

I pretty much dig the 3" AF1 on my 4.6L, looks good, won't run it lean, adds some throttle response, doesn't drone.

And no, cleaning and oiling the element is no hassle at all.. 2 beers and it's done.

Old 03-14-2008 | 03:27 AM
jlt

Old 03-17-2008 | 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by azmidget91
jlt

Does that just connect to the throttle body or is there an adapter too? Price and have you had any problems?

Old 03-17-2008 | 04:17 PM
I just put the S&B on and compared to any other intake I have used in the past this one takes the cake. I noticed it woke the truck up a lot and you know its there when you put the pedal down. I have tried the K&N and also have the Moroso on my other vehicle.

Old 03-17-2008 | 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Steve O
I just put the S&B on and compared to any other intake I have used in the past this one takes the cake. I noticed it woke the truck up a lot and you know its there when you put the pedal down. I have tried the K&N and also have the Moroso on my other vehicle.
I have the K&N in my 05 SCAB, 5.4L. When I bought the truck in December, the previous owner must have swapped out the OEM CAI. B/c I don't if the previous owner took care of it properly, I was thinkin of startin over and buying another filter. Anyone think this is a good idea, or should I hose it out, let it dry, and re-oil it with the K&N maintenance oil kit? I had experienced some probs wit hit startin up and figured the air intake was clogged, dirty, etc. Haven't noticed it since but still think it needs a good cleaning.

Quick Reply: next best intake besides AF1?