Dynatechs are too close to the frame.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008 | 04:47 PM
|
Dynatechs are too close to the frame.

I installed some Dynatechs, and have an issue with them buzzing against the frame after they warm up some. One of the tubes on the passenger side sets less than 1/8 inch from the frame, and must expand enough to eventually start hitting the frame.

Anyone else have an issue with this? As soon as it warms up some I'm gonna crawl in there and get a picture to send off to Dynatech and see what they say.

The other thing I want to do is get something in there to prevent a hole from forming. Any ideas on what could stand up to the heat that I can wedge in between the two? I tried some boat exhaust tubing that is good to 500 degrees. That worked well for about a day...

Old 03-04-2008 | 04:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

If i spent 1200 bucks on headers, i would sure hope they were designed to fit well.

Thats a shame.

Old 03-04-2008 | 05:26 PM
humm thats not good with my pacesetters i got plenty of room... you could try a heat sheild from farther back. Like the heat sheild were your stock muffler went i took that off and i can put it any were i feel the need to. i also took of the passenger side heat sheild too. you can try to shove that betweent here....Thats werid that dynatechs would do that. What year and engine is your truck?? and what headers did you get??

Old 03-04-2008 | 06:17 PM
esf
Originally Posted by shifty_85
humm thats not good with my pacesetters i got plenty of room... you could try a heat sheild from farther back. Like the heat sheild were your stock muffler went i took that off and i can put it any were i feel the need to. i also took of the passenger side heat sheild too. you can try to shove that betweent here....Thats werid that dynatechs would do that. What year and engine is your truck?? and what headers did you get??
What size are the tubes on the pacesetters?

On Dyantechs website if you scroll down, the picture says Big Tube 1 3/4" Design, but if you click on the model you're looking for, it states that the tube size is 1.625" or 1 5/8", 1/8" smaller than the page before that. But both the 99-03 and the Lightning/Harley version both say 1.625". Unless the picture is just a general picture and not model specific.

Last edited by esf; 03-04-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-04-2008 | 07:15 PM
mine are close but never hit.

Old 03-04-2008 | 08:13 PM
Could mean more clearance for me on the 4.6 install? Pics man pics!!!

Old 03-04-2008 | 08:18 PM
doubtit... they will hit ur starter im sure.

Old 03-04-2008 | 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by Crownie
I installed some Dynatechs, and have an issue with them buzzing against the frame after they warm up some. One of the tubes on the passenger side sets less than 1/8 inch from the frame, and must expand enough to eventually start hitting the frame.

Anyone else have an issue with this? As soon as it warms up some I'm gonna crawl in there and get a picture to send off to Dynatech and see what they say.

The other thing I want to do is get something in there to prevent a hole from forming. Any ideas on what could stand up to the heat that I can wedge in between the two? I tried some boat exhaust tubing that is good to 500 degrees. That worked well for about a day...
Mine are very close! I'm almost surprised I haven't got the same issue but they do not quite touch. If it was me, I would probably try bending it in some way. Maybe by wedging something between the collector and the frame at the bottom. Bend really slowly and make sure it doesn't crimp anything. Also make sure pry bar or whatever is against the heavy metal collector flange or something so it does not put a dent in one of the tubes. WOuld be tricky but maybe worth it.
No matter how well something is built, there will always be things out of tolerance. A little over on a frame, a little over on a motor mount, and a little bit on a header and you have an issue. May not be Dynatechs fault, could be the build up tolerance on the truck. Doubt they will be able to tell you anything, it's just too hard to say if its due to the truck or the headers. I sure wouldn't go to the trouble of trying to remove them.....

Old 03-05-2008 | 09:00 AM
Will they actually bend enough before cracking / breaking a weld or pinching? I guess in my situation, depending on how much the starter gets in the way, I'll have to cut & move things. Problem is that will shift the collector, and possibly negate any performance gains by screwing up the flow. Awesome.

Old 03-05-2008 | 10:55 AM
on my pacesetter LT's the starter didnt even have to come out and yeah its about 3/4 of and Inch from one of the starter wires but i just pulled the wire down a little bit and zip tied it. Not really that close. as for bending the pipe a lil to get around the frame i dont think that little bit of bending would hurt any thing...To bad..

Old 03-07-2008 | 11:38 PM
Loosen up the motor mounts and jack up the opposite side of the motor to see if you can shift it in the mounts a little bit. Otherwise take the header off and flatten it a bit where it makes contact, you aren't going to lose any power by clearancing one tube a little bit.

Old 03-12-2008 | 12:38 PM
|
Sorry fellas... been out of town, so I haven't been able to get at this for awhile. My thinking is to pull the header off when it warms up and I have a little more time and try to flatten that spot a bit. In the mean time I've been racking my brain trying to come up with something to jam in there to avoid a hole in the header. I have tried a couple things, but they have all melted and fallen out. Except the piece of welder's glove that I tried. Rather than melt, that burst into flames. Caused the poor lady behind me a little distress as I was driving along dropping lil flaming ***** in her path...

The other night, the boss chewed me a new one for using a plastic spoon to stir the chili I was making. Turns out they melt if you leave them in the pot between stirs. She hands me this rubber like spatula and goes on about how they don't melt... ever! Well, this got me thinking. So after the chili was done, I rinsed this thing off and took it outside to the truck. After fiddlefarting around trying to figure a way to pry the header back I was able to jam this "super" spatula between the header and frame. Even better, when I gave a test tug the handle popped right out! Perfect... Done!

Well... here it is 2 days later, and that super spatula is still hanging in there. So far, so good...

What's the best way to try to flatten that spot in the header when the time comes? Ball peen hammer? All I have is a lil propane torch, is the heat from that going to help at all? Would any heat help for that matter, or should I just start pounding away?

Oh, and any one know where I can find one of those super spatula's... in a nice light blue? I'm living on borrowed time here until the boss notices it's missing...

Old 03-12-2008 | 01:02 PM
|
Old 03-12-2008 | 01:08 PM
esf
HAHAHA. That is hilarious. I'mk sitting here at work laughing my *** off. Maybe it's just been a long day.

Old 03-12-2008 | 01:28 PM
dang dude whats that pipe doing way way out there??? my pacesetter is alot closer to the other pipes...

Quick Reply: Dynatechs are too close to the frame.