question about intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008 | 02:23 AM
|
question about intake

whats does a intake system do for the truck, sorry for this probalbly being a stupid question

Old 03-14-2008 | 03:41 AM
There are no stupid questions!.. well, there are, but this isn't one of 'em.. LOL

What any so-called CAI does draw in a more free flow of air to the intake manifold.

On Fords that are the 04 model or newer that can be a problem. The programming can be very particular about the amount of air being drawn and may not be able to compensate with the correct fuel to air ratio. Not so much of a problem on pre-'04.

One thing to keep in mind with any "CAI" (and they're not true "cold air intakes", more correctly "increased airflow intakes"), is that the most important quality isn't necessarily the volume of air. The laminar flow of the air, or degree of turbulance, is just as important.

Now you can certainly put on any intake kit you'd like and then buy some custom tunes to insure that you won't run the engine lean. Or more like get the custom tuning and THEN put the intake kit on.

Any IC engine is at the bottom line an air pump. The goal is to optimize the ratio of the air to fuel burned at a given time. Also, more air in demands more air out, so to speak. Any intake kit should be coupled with a straight-though exhuast.

The exhaust is actually where you'll see some mpg gains.

Hope any of that crap helps!!

Old 03-14-2008 | 12:15 PM
|
thanks dude, i am thinkin about gettin one, i got a chip and exhaust but i wstill want some more, in the end is it really worth the money

Old 03-16-2008 | 12:55 AM
Originally Posted by fx4 for life 79
thanks dude, i am thinkin about gettin one, i got a chip and exhaust but i wstill want some more, in the end is it really worth the money
For me the $250 I spent on my 3" AF1 was well worth the money... The better throttle response was the second thing I noticed, the sweet growl and induction sounds from under the hood were the first thing!.. LOL

Another benefit is when ya pop the hood.. folks actually say, "WOW!"... LOL

So yeah, I'd say an Air Force 1 intake is well worth the money. Other intakes may require custom tuning.

Click on the camera icon in the upper right to see some pics of mine.

Quick Reply: question about intake