Old 03-16-2008, 08:13 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
my roush OR goes on this week!!!
A new 0-80 will be in order then

Old 03-16-2008, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Borla Pro XS is also going on my 05 5.4 this week. I'll see what I can do about clips for you.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:54 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by jbrew
A new 0-80 will be in order then
yes. this time at sea level with an empty box and the 91 tune. oh and offed rear cats too.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
Where does the Magnaflow rust? It's a full stainless system.
Good question.....

The Magnaflows on my brothers 89LX have been on for 4 years up here in the Northeast and there isn't a spec of rust on them. (And this is pretty much a daily driver.. very fast daily driver, but one none the less. Comes out in the early spring and only gets a car cover during the winter.)

Old 03-16-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by shaunakadub
Good question.....

The Magnaflows on my brothers 89LX have been on for 4 years up here in the Northeast and there isn't a spec of rust on them. (And this is pretty much a daily driver.. very fast daily driver, but one none the less. Comes out in the early spring and only gets a car cover during the winter.)
This is why I've been looking at the stainless kits, with all the salt and crap that goes on the roads in the winter, stainless is the only thing that will last. The aluminized kits are cheaper but they only go about 5-6 years before the salt eats 'em alive.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Where does the Magnaflow rust? It's a full stainless system.
Magnaflow uses 409 stainless. 409 stainless gets surface rust (common knowledge), looks nasty over time. Roush is 304 and never gets that surface rust.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:13 PM
esf
Originally Posted by Stealth
Magnaflow uses 409 stainless. 409 stainless gets surface rust (common knowledge), looks nasty over time. Roush is 304 and never gets that surface rust.
According to one of the MagnaFlowReps...

Originally Posted by MagnaFlowRep
MagnaFlow uses a very specific, proprietary Stainless Steel product. We’ve found that the grades of Stainless products we use are more pliable, less brittle and more resistant to cracks and failures that often result from extreme bend angles and/or thermal cycling. Because of a slightly greater content of other metals, you’ll notice that some MagnaFlow products are magnetic. This magnetism in no way affects the performance, the life or the operation of our products.

Most exhaust companies vary their designs and constructions and the grades of Stainless products they select likewise vary. There are no performance advantages to be gained by selecting one grade over another, rather they are just preferences by their respective manufacturers. Some choose to use Stainless products in the 300 series and while the blend is more pure, the increased brittleness and sensitivity to thermal shock are issues MagnaFlow chose to address by using a different blend of Stainless…again, varying philosophies.

This grade of Stainless is partly responsible for our ability to offer a high polish finish on our mufflers and moreover, even the pipes themselves appear semi-polish without any additional effort. We’re so confident that you’ll see the difference, we ask that you compare a MagnaFlow muffler to any competitors’ muffler side by side…you can see the difference.

In any case, MagnaFlow’s choice of our proprietary Stainless Steel blend allows us to offer a product of superior fit, finish and durability, a product we believe in so much, its’ backed by a Lifetime Warranty. Last time we checked, a Lifetime Warranty was better than all of rivals’ warranties, some of whom offer warranties ranging from 1 year to 1,000,000 miles….we couldn’t match the million mile warranty, so we went one better: LIFETIME WARRNTY. We believe that statement speaks for itself.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Roush beats them all. Sound is amazing and it will never rust like Flowmaster or Magnaflow. Top quality.
X100

Old 03-16-2008, 04:49 PM
Obviously not that common or I wouldn't have asked.

BTW, thanks for making me feel stupid.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:29 PM

Obviously not that common or I wouldn't have asked.

BTW, thanks for making me feel stupid.
Well, sorry, it was common knowledge to me!

Old 03-16-2008, 08:35 PM
?

and technically due to that fact can be more brittle than 409,but i'm sure you knew that of it's tensile strength

Old 03-16-2008, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by openclasspro#11
and technically due to that fact can be more brittle than 409,but i'm sure you knew that of it's tensile strength
I've tig welded 304 stainless for many years. Besides, I know everything.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Former Sponsor
I had our exhaust system on for 4 years and when I had it removed and put on another one the old system and a slight coat of rust. Never did it cause me any exhaust leaks from it rusting thru. Dont get me wrong alot of our competition make great products and so do we. I guess its just all what you like. I had my Magnaflow long before I worked here. And I love what Magnaflow Represents. So take this how you will. I love my Magnaflow and wouldnt trade it for anything.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by MagnaFlowRep
I had our exhaust system on for 4 years and when I had it removed and put on another one the old system and a slight coat of rust. Never did it cause me any exhaust leaks from it rusting thru. Dont get me wrong alot of our competition make great products and so do we. I guess its just all what you like. I had my Magnaflow long before I worked here. And I love what Magnaflow Represents. So take this how you will. I love my Magnaflow and wouldnt trade it for anything.
I love magnaflow products too. I'm just particular about the tubing I choose. I prefer 304 since I worked tig welding it for many years. I also know the surface rust that appears on 409 stainless magnaflow or anyone else uses though unsightly doesn't cause any leaks.

I prefer 304. My Roush Off Road catback is 304. It will always look better, and it sounds better than my magnaflow used to.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:02 PM
Suspended
I've tig welded 304 stainless for many years. Besides, I THINK THAT I know everything.
I fixed it for you...

Quick Reply: Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow